Menu

Third vaccine experiences

TravelingChris

Just to add to the "reactions" database, my wife--who'd had a rough day at school yesterday--felt tired last night after receiving #3.

As a personal baseline, she slept nearly the entire day post #2. In our decades together I'd never known her to spend a day in bed. Not ever, for any reason.

I was not entirely sure what today would look like, but she popped up and seemed to have a spring in her step after getting a good night's sleep.

Her arm is tender.

Bill

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Did those of you who got third shots get the same kind as the first two? I am 6 months past my second Pfizer and thus will be eligible for a booster by mid-October. I am wondering whether I should stick with Pfizer or go with Moderna (if that's even allowed) since it has held up better against delta.

I thought I read they changed their minds and are going with 6 months?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I thought I read they changed their minds and are going with 6 months?

I heard that, although I think the non-immune-compromised rollout doesn't start until late September. Regardless, I am trying to figure out which one to get. I kind of like the idea of getting another Pfizer since that is what I got before, but I also wonder whether Moderna would actually be better. I work in a school (started yesterday) so I hope to get a booster as soon as I'm eligible.

8 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Did those of you who got third shots get the same kind as the first two? 

I got the same kind (Pfizer). I felt very comfortable sticking with that. My guess is that any extra benefit of getting a booster of Moderna will be negligible over time. But of course I could be wrong, and I certainly don't think it's wrong to mix 'em up. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I got the same kind (Pfizer). I felt very comfortable sticking with that. My guess is that any extra benefit of getting a booster of Moderna will be negligible over time. But of course I could be wrong, and I certainly don't think it's wrong to mix 'em up. 

1 hour ago, whitestavern said:

They are recommending your third dose be the same as your first two. 

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/covid/covid-19-third-dose.pdf

Thanks!

Is the start date still September 20 for non-immune-compromised people even if they have passed the 6 month mark?

28 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Thanks!

Is the start date still September 20 for non-immune-compromised people even if they have passed the 6 month mark?

I haven't heard anything firm other than eight months for non-immune-compromised people, starting September 20. Apparently there's a WSJ article out speculating that the Biden administration is likely to approve boosters for six months out, but I'd take a wait-and-see on that. WSJ is reliable, but I'm not seeing that any other media outlet is confirming that yet, plus . .  "likely" is speculative.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I haven't heard anything firm other than eight months for non-immune-compromised people, starting September 20. Apparently there's a WSJ article out speculating that the Biden administration is likely to approve boosters for six months out, but I'd take a wait-and-see on that. WSJ is reliable, but I'm not seeing that any other media outlet is confirming that yet, plus . .  "likely" is speculative.

I am really hoping this is true, I'm seeing it on more media outlets but it's all very vague and obviously we need an official announcement.  We will see!  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I am really hoping this is true, I'm seeing it on more media outlets but it's all very vague and obviously we need an official announcement.  We will see!  

I'm also really hoping it's true. 

I got my second Pfizer in late April, so I'm actually only 4 months out -- the benefits of waiting patiently for my place in line, lol. I'm hoping they do do boosters earlier than 8 months, since 8 months seems like a completely arbitrary number and there's good evidence of waning immunity prior to that. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm also really hoping it's true. 

I got my second Pfizer in late April, so I'm actually only 4 months out -- the benefits of waiting patiently for my place in line, lol. I'm hoping they do do boosters earlier than 8 months, since 8 months seems like a completely arbitrary number and there's good evidence of waning immunity prior to that. 

My husband and I got our second in May!  I'd love to be boostered before the holidays so maybe we could do a small get together with a recently boostered and vaccinated crew.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Did those of you who got third shots get the same kind as the first two? I am 6 months past my second Pfizer and thus will be eligible for a booster by mid-October. I am wondering whether I should stick with Pfizer or go with Moderna (if that's even allowed) since it has held up better against delta.

I don't think that you will not find a mix-and-match approach offered.

It also does not seem necessary at this point. The reports from third doses of Pfizer are very encouraging. Greatly increased protection. Huge.

At six months and assuming you are working with underaged (unvaccinated) children, you might consider your options of getting a third shot now. That protects both the children and yourself.

They can be had.

Bill

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

I think it's possible that Moderna's higher protection may be due to the much higher dose — a person who had two shots of Moderna got 200 µg mRNA vs 60 µg for two shots of Pfizer. But there is much less of a difference in the 3rd shots, since Moderna's booster is a half-dose (50 µg) and Pfizer's is the same 30 µg dose as the first shots. Since you're likely to be able to get Pfizer much sooner, I would just go with that.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I don't think that you will not find a mix-and-match approach offered.

It also does not seem necessary at this point. The reports from third doses of Pfizer are very encouraging. Greatly increased protection. Huge.

At six months and assuming you are working with underaged (unvaccinated) children, you might consider your options of getting a third shot now. That protects both the children and yourself.

They can be had.

Bill

Well, I am working with high school kids (and sometimes junior high) so many of them are vaccinated but I am not sure how many. Our county rate for 12 and up is only about 58%. However, the quarantine requirements for vaccinated people are much less stringent so those involved in sports/theater/etc. are highly motivated to vaccinate. Masks are highly recommended but not required so you can imagine what that looks like 😞 I will ask around about where to get a booster soon. Pretty much all of my school's staff got vaxxed within a few weeks of each other so this will come up for everyone very soon.

6 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Well, I am working with high school kids (and sometimes junior high) so many of them are vaccinated but I am not sure how many. Our county rate for 12 and up is only about 58%. However, the quarantine requirements for vaccinated people are much less stringent so those involved in sports/theater/etc. are highly motivated to vaccinate. Masks are highly recommended but not required so you can imagine what that looks like 😞 I will ask around about where to get a booster soon. Pretty much all of my school's staff got vaxxed within a few weeks of each other so this will come up for everyone very soon.

Yikes!

I'm sorry you are at such high risk. Many people are getting third shots now whether they formally meet the letter of current CDC protocols or not.

The data looks clear that efficacy wanes considerably by 6 months. Boosters seem to be medically necessary for full protection against Delta.

"Masks optional" in schools in an insane situation IMO.

I'd consider your options.

Bill

We were only able to get vaxxed in May at the earliest so have a few months to go. However, I’m concerned about a variant in Africa that they think might be a problem even with 3 doses. If we’re lucky, maybe it will fizzle out.

Anyone know more about this?

13 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

We were only able to get vaxxed in May at the earliest so have a few months to go. However, I’m concerned about a variant in Africa that they think might be a problem even with 3 doses. If we’re lucky, maybe it will fizzle out.

Anyone know more about this?

Are you talking about the C.1.2 variant in South Africa? This one is more closely related to the Peruvian variant than to the other South African strains. Some info:

"C.1.2 is highly mutated compared to C.1, and all other VOC and VOI identified to date. Researchers revealed that C.1.2 is phylogenetically more close to the Lambda variant (C.37).

In May, C.1.2 lineage was detected for the first time in the Mpumalanga and Gauteng provinces of South Africa. Soon after, it was detected in many areas, such as the KwaZulu-Natal and Limpopo provinces of South Africa, as well as in England and China. By August 13, it was found in the majority of South African provinces, including the Eastern Cape and Western Cape. It was also detected in New Zealand, Mauritius, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Portugal, and Switzerland.

The authors of this study have identified 63 sequences that matched C.1.2 lineage, among which 59 sequences were used for phylogenetic analyses and/or spike analysis. The SARS-CoV-2 genomic surveillance is ongoing, and typically a delay of around 2-4 weeks occurs between sampling and data being publicly available on Global Initiative on Sharing All Influenza Data (GISAID). Researches of the current study observed a steady increase in the number of C.1.2 genomes in South Africa.

Researchers revealed that the evolution of SARS-CoV-2 in 2020 was 8x10-4substitutions/site/year, which is associated with 24 substitutions per year. However, the global phylogeny, including C.1.2 sequences, has shown a marginally higher clock rate of 26.6 substitutions per year. Among the majority of the sequences, the substitution rate of C.1.2 sequences is found to be much higher.

Although C.1.2 shares similar mutations with C.1, it has certain additional mutations within the ORF1ab, spike, ORF3a, ORF9b, E, M, and N proteins. Many of these mutations have occurred in the spike region. More than 50% of the viruses designated to be C.1.2 contain 14 mutations. Researchers have revealed that five of the fourteen mutations are present within the NTD, three within the receptor-binding motif (RBM), and two adjacent to the furin cleavage site. The remaining four mutations are P9L, D614G, H655Y, and T859N.

Scientists have estimated that 52% of the spike mutations detected in C.1.2 have previously been identified in other VOI and VOC. Some mutations are common between C.1.2 and other VOI and/or VOC. For example, D614G is common across all variants, E484K and N501Y mutations are found in Beta and Gamma variants, N501Y in Alpha, and E484K is found in the Eta variant.

The current study conducted genomic surveillance of SARS-CoV-2 during the third wave of infection in South Africa and was able to identify a new SARS-CoV-2 variant. This strain has been assigned to the PANGO lineage C.1.2, which was also detected in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Oceania. At present, the authors of this study are determining the impact of C.1.2 variant on neutralization antibody following natural infection or vaccine-induced immune response in South Africa.

Source: https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210826/Potential-variant-of-interest-in-South-Africa-assigned-to-the-PANGO-lineage-C12.aspx

• Thanks 1

My elderly parents -- who were vaccinated in January -- tried to get boosters at two different pharmacies this week but were emphatically turned down at both places.  Pharmacies here (TN), at least, require documentation from a physician that you qualify for a booster under current authorization guidelines.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Yikes!

I'm sorry you are at such high risk. Many people are getting third shots now whether they formally meet the letter of current CDC protocols or not.

The data looks clear that efficacy wanes considerably by 6 months. Boosters seem to be medically necessary for full protection against Delta.

"Masks optional" in schools in an insane situation IMO.

I'd consider your options.

Bill

I will definitely get a booster as soon as I can. I am masking as are almost all the staff and a fair number of the students (but still less than half). The building I work in just got a new HVAC system which is supposed to refresh the air much more frequently so that is helpful as well. And thankfully things are not bad in my area at this point. 

It does feel weird to have masks optional this year, but I did work in person all of the last school year (aside for when the state mandated secondary school closures  between Thanksgiving and Christmas) so it does not feel too different. Last fall we had universal masking but I was not yet vaxxed. Of course, now we have delta so that makes a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my third shot today. I asked specifically about mixing brands, and in my state pharmacists are not allowed to do so. The pharmacist asked me for proof that I qualified for a third shot as I don’t fill my meds at that pharmacy. I showed an email from my rheumatologist with my name on it. I wasn’t expecting that. 

I had to skip my immunosuppressant last week in prep for my shot today. Two hours post vax I was sleepy. I am now 8 hours in and running a low grade fever. I feel a headache coming on. I suspect tonight is going to be rough. I am oddly happy about that— I my body is recognizing the prior vaccine because I am not super achy like with a flare.

I am really glad to get the shot. 

• Like 8

For those of you getting an unofficial booster, are you lying on the sign-up about being moderately immune-compromised, or giving a different name? If the former, aren't you worried that at some point you will be found out and get into trouble for declaring yourself to have a disease you don't have (with insurance, say), or if using a different name, for not being able to use this booster once employers/airlines etc. consider only people with 3 shots to be fully vaxxed? We are both forced back into in-person work, and worried about transmitting to one of our 3 too young to be vaxxed kids in particular (I also *really* shouldn't be taking steroids).