Menu

Language: CLE vs. Lightning Lit vs. Masterbooks

JessReplanted

Hello everyone! I am a long time homeschooler. We graduated our oldest this year, and I am now rethinking everything for my youngest (2nd grade). 

We have typically used CLE for Lang. arts up until at least grade 6.  However, I am learning that it is ok to let go of a little "rigor" if it means adding in more joy. I'm also really exhausted of the same old routine and I feel like I need to shake things up to make the school year more enjoyable. 

I like the idea of Lightning Lit because I love stories, and spending the year reading stories sounds fun. 

I have considered still using CLE, but excluding certain sections and adding in Lightning Lit with it. 

But,  I have friends who use Masterbooks and really enjoy it. I  had thought that it looked too easy, but maybe it's enough?  

Any thoughts? 

I'm probably not much help because I've never used either program, but I've thoroughly researched both of them over the years. Masterbooks seems very light, indeed. Lighting Lit looks great and I might've given it a try if I hadn't found an English program we like or if we wanted to integrate our Reading with English and Writing. We used CLE for years and then switched to Rod & Staff before I knew about LL, though. I like that the lessons are actually shorter than CLE and I can assign only what I want done in a given day and speed up/ slow down as needed. For some reason, keeping Reading separate from English works better for us.

Edited by Servant4Christ