Menu

Towels and dorms

BlsdMama

7 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

Maybe get some fast drying towels? My swimmer has one, and a quick look at Amazon shows some labeled for camping.

That's my suggestion.  We have some fabulous Nabaji ones from Decathlon, but we just got a 4-pack of these from Amazon and they work well.  We just camped in a humid area with 36 straight hours of rain.  These kept dry and were used for showers all week.  Plus, they have a loop on the end that can be used to hang them with.

Also, if she has long hair, think about getting a few turban hair towels.  Microfiber still, but smaller and more compact so you don't have a huge towel drying for longer than it needs to be.

• Like 1

I'd suggest an over-the-door hook or towel rack.  When we stay in hotels, we use the coathangers intended for pants and clip 2 corners of the towel.  Then you can hang the coathanger anywhere - on a hook, under a lofted bed, etc, until the towel is dry.  She might also consider thin Turkish towels.  I live in the humid south and sometimes shower twice a day in the hot and garden dirt-filled summer.  I got a Turkish towel and it dries completely between uses. 

• Like 2

I'd get an over the door hook. I have some quick dry ones from Martha Stewart that I ordered from Macy's that work well, but I am not in a super high humidity area. I know there are some popular brands used for camping. They are thin and can be packed very small. 

• Like 1

I second the Turkish towel suggestion.  They are large but dry quickly.  That said, I am in the same boat.  Dd's dorm room is TINY and there is literally nowhere for a drying rack.  I know they make the over-the-door kind, but her school is in a very cold climate and most students have multiple coats and snowpants that will likely end up overwhelming any door rack/hooks.  The "closets" are actually small armoires that are too small to hang coats and clothing along with whatever else they need to stuff in them since there is literally no floor space available for storage.  Not to mention stuffing wet coats and towels in tiny closets is not going to end well.  I am kind of perplexed how people do it.  I guess I will find out!

Many dorms have closets or wardrobes with a towel bar on the outside of the door. Usually hanging the towel on this bar lets it dry out just fine. Can you get a photo from the college website or from a parent FB group of what the dorm setup looks like? If it doesn’t have one, or if she also wants space to hang a wet coat, I actually sent in a freestanding coat rack with my freshman a couple of years ago. He was in a seriously overcrowded triple room (so much for glamorous honors housing . . . ) and he and both of his roommates loved having a place to hang their wet coats. I supplied a thick, washable bathmat to place under it to contain the puddles and for a place for them to toss their wet footwear as well. The coatrack got used, and supposedly they even washed that floor towel on occasion, because they appreciated it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...