Menu

Some happy news

DawnM

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh wow, you found a unicorn job!!!!! So happy for you!!  Congrats.

Ok, I looked that up and it says that a unicorn job is:

“Unicorn” job descriptions are mystical too, but in a more “Wicked Witch of the West” sort of way. Unicorn job descriptions often include overly-specific skill sets or unclear job requirements that can exclude or discourage perfectly qualified applicants.

Is there another meaning?

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

I suspect unicorn in this case refers to something magical that is near impossible to find.

Regards,

Kareni

AH, ok.....

the only thing that would be better would be if it were truly a work from home job, but, oh well.....

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 5:21 AM, DawnM said:

the only thing that would be better would be if it were truly a work from home job, but, oh well.....

It might be possible to persuade management of that over time, once you're established in the job and know your colleagues and also when they've assessed your work ethic and commitment.   

My team started working from home during Covid and we will continue to work from home 80% of the time going forward, but I have a new start beginning next month and I and another team member will be going into the office every day for at least a month to guide her and make sure she is settled.  It is much easier face-to-face than trying to do on the job training over Teams.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hannah said:

It might be possible to persuade management of that over time, once you're established in the job and know your colleagues and also when they've assessed your work ethic and commitment.   

My team started working from home during Covid and we will continue to work from home 80% of the time going forward, but I have a new start beginning next month and I and another team member will be going into the office every day for at least a month to guide her and make sure she is settled.  It is much easier face-to-face than trying to do on the job training over Teams.  

Training over teams is really difficult, especially if you use more than one computer screen at a time. At my work, we bop in and out of 4-8 computer programs. Trying to do all of that on just one screen with multiple tabs is very cumbersome. You can share one screen, but training when you really need two screens is soooooooooooo much easier in person.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hannah said:

No, I am a school counselor in public education, the district makes those decisions, not the office/school site.   It won't be on an individual basis.   

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

So, I turned in my resignation to my current job yesterday.   The principal wouldn't even look at me.   Then he went to one of my coworkers and said,

"Well, I guess you guys are f***ed for this year."

Such a lovely man to work for.  His attitude and language are always an issue.  I am not going to say he has no redeeming qualities, because he has a few, but oy.

Ask me how much remorse I feel for leaving after this school year has started?   😝   

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

4 minutes ago, DawnM said:

So, I turned in my resignation to my current job yesterday.   The principal wouldn't even look at me.   Then he went to one of my coworkers and said,

"Well, I guess you guys are f***ed for this year."

Such a lovely man to work for.  His attitude and language are always an issue.  I am not going to say he has no redeeming qualities, because he has a few, but oy.

Ask me how much remorse I feel for leaving after this school year has started?   😝   

Wow.  That is horrible.  I am sorry he did that to you.  I hope it didn't bother you at all. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 1:01 PM, DawnM said:

Ok, I looked that up and it says that a unicorn job is:

“Unicorn” job descriptions are mystical too, but in a more “Wicked Witch of the West” sort of way. Unicorn job descriptions often include overly-specific skill sets or unclear job requirements that can exclude or discourage perfectly qualified applicants.

Is there another meaning?

Wow, never heard that meaning at all.  I didn't mean that at all.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow, never heard that meaning at all.  I didn't mean that at all.  

I figured you didn't, I just didn't know what it meant and that was the definition that popped up.

I think you meant unusual or hard to find?   Once Karini said that it made more sense.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow.  That is horrible.  I am sorry he did that to you.  I hope it didn't bother you at all. 

That is his personality.   We are all a bit surprised he is still in leadership in our district.   I have heard rumor that he was fired from another district and told he could never be in admin in that district again, but that is 3rd hand info from a rather reliable source.   

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I figured you didn't, I just didn't know what it meant and that was the definition that popped up.

I think you meant unusual or hard to find?   Once Karini said that it made more sense.

Yeah the way I meant and have heard it is more a magical job that is hard to find and just a great job or dream job kind of thing.   It sounds like you have found an awesome job.  And it sounds a million times better after hearing about the place you are leaving.

• Like 1