Menu

How much coffee is in your cup?

Spryte

When you wake up and have that first, second, third cup, how many ounces is it?

The waking up thread has me curious.  If you drink coffee, how many oz are in your cup?

I’ll go first: I drink three cups every morning.  5 oz each. Americanos, so technically it’s 3 espressos diluted.

We have a super-automatic, and sometimes it’s three cappuccinos.  

So basically three espresso shots.

I don't drink coffee, but all the mugs I bought for my house guests hold 12 oz. I had heard a traditional cup of coffee was 5 oz. Never had anyone object to the large mugs, hahaha. They usually drain the pot by the end of the morning.

• Like 1

8 or 10 ounces, but I keep refilling it all day long.

My DNA analysis informs me that I am better than average at metabolizing caffeine, so yay!  I can even drink it in the wee hours before I go to sleep.

• Haha 4

Biggish? I don’t know, and I’m not about to dump the last quarter of it to measure, lol. My best guess is 18oz. I don’t always finish every last drop, but close.

I used to drink a whole standard pot or more. I had cut back to reduce my creamer intake, but then I cut back further because the caffeine was exacerbating my anxiety.

On the rare occasion that I treat myself to a giant Dunkin iced coffee later in the day (you won’t catch me driving pre-home coffee), it’s decaf.

• Like 1

We have a lot of mugs in different sizes. I would guess the ones I use most hold 8-10 oz. I drink probably 2 of those in the morning. Hard to be accurate, because if I'm sitting at the table drinking it, and my husband gets up to refill his cup, he'll top mine off for me. 

I don't feel like coffee makes a difference in my awakeness/alertness. It's a habit and, as someone else said, a ritual.  I just like starting my day with someone warm even when it's hot out. It could be decaf or tea, herbal tisane, whatever. 

I've been making mine lately with a few drops of cocoa bitters, some dutch process cocoa, and half and half or cream. The milk frother helps the cocoa integrate though I have to stir up the sludge every now and then.  

• Like 1

I always start my day with a mug of coffee -- probably 6 ounces, and it is STRONG.  I don't drink it to wake me up (caffeine doesn't affect me much, and waking up in the morning has never been a problem for me), but I love it and love the ritual.  I'll often but not always have another cup in the afternoon, rarely alone -- but as a treat with my dh, a friend, etc.  And I'll often have an espresso after dinner.  (Caffeine doesn't keep me awake at night.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

16 ounces. I drink . . .multiple cups a day.

I'm not quite ready to confess the level of my coffee addiction. 😉

(But it is coffee addiction and not caffeine--I'm fine with decaf.) 

Ha! I only fessed up to my morning coffee cups (three espresso drinks, basically). There’s also second coffee, elevensies, lunch coffee… 🤣

I usually drink coffee in the morning, and then another (espresso) cup in the early afternoon, and an after dinner espresso.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My favorite mugs hold 12 oz. I like the way they fit and feel in my hands, but I can't normally finish a full mug before the second half gets cold. So, my usual morning routine is to fill the mug, drink until it's cooled off too much. I then microwave the second "half" and add the rest of the coffee from the coffee machine to top off. I might end up nuking that cup midway, too, but I don't add any extra at that point. All told, I guess that means I drink roughly three 6-oz cups over the course of a morning.

• Like 1

Y'all made me check. My usual mug is 12 oz but I drink instant coffee and I just realized the instructions say one tsp/6 oz.

Um. I only use 1 tsp in 12 oz. Any more & it is too bitter. So, I guess I have a half-strength 12 oz drink.

I weaned off the 2-3 Tbs of sugar I add to it last year but added creamer so maybe it is a wash... I'm swapping to decaf now. Hope to go caffeine free in 2022.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RootAnn said:

Y'all made me check. My usual mug is 12 oz but I drink instant coffee and I just realized the instructions say one tsp/6 oz.

Um. I only use 1 tsp in 12 oz. Any more & it is too bitter. So, I guess I have a half-strength 12 oz drink.

I weaned off the 2-3 Tbs of sugar I add to it last year but added creamer so maybe it is a wash... I'm swapping to decaf now. Hope to go caffeine free in 2022.

On sugar … I weaned off by switching to cappuccino years ago.  It worked.  But now I’m too lazy to keep milk in the house all the time, so I just use a tiny bit of heavy cream.  It fills the need!  Works better with my keto-inspired eating plan, too.

Good luck with going caffeine free!

• Like 2

My cup is probably 8-10 oz. I have at least 3 in the morning. SO & I will go through an entire pot in the morning. At least once a week, we make a second pot & sip on that throughout the day. 

Sometimes in the evening I'll have the leftover coffee mixed with Kraken dark roast rum. It's wonderful. So far it doesn't keep me up at night. 

• Like 2

200 mL of the coffee, with oat milk added to make nearly a pint.

I make 4 days' coffee in a French press. Then into each of four 1-pint jars I add 200 mL of the brewed coffee, a tablespoon of sugar, and the rest Oatly. (The internet tells me 200 mL = ~6.75 ounces.) I drink it chilled in summer or reheat in the microwave in winter.

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Carolina Wren said:

200 mL of the coffee, with oat milk added to make nearly a pint.

I make 4 days' coffee in a French press. Then into each of four 1-pint jars I add 200 mL of the brewed coffee, a tablespoon of sugar, and the rest Oatly. (The internet tells me 200 mL = ~6.75 ounces.) I drink it chilled in summer or reheat in the microwave in winter.

I drink coffee black but sometimes want creamy tea.  Oatmilk has been such a great find for that!

• Like 2

Regular brewed coffee is too bitter for me. But pandemic has taught me to enjoy a good mocha. The amount of coffee is either 1 packet of Starbuck's Via (that's the stronger version) or 2 tsp instant espresso powder (milder). That goes with:

1 cup of milk but I overpour, so probably 10 oz milk, heated
1 Tbsp Torani dark chocolate syrup
1 Tbsp Hershey's sugar free chocolate syrup

Of course it would be better with 2 tbsp Torani, but this is good enough for 11 gm sugar instead of 22. And yes, this has become a daily habit.

• Like 1

1 coffee in the morning, 10-12 oz (plus cream and sugar)...

...except on Sundays when I have a McDs iced coffee with breakfast, a hot coffee at church, and sometimes another coffee once back  home. Sundays wear me out. 

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, elegantlion said:

My cup is probably 8-10 oz. I have at least 3 in the morning. SO & I will go through an entire pot in the morning. At least once a week, we make a second pot & sip on that throughout the day. 

Sometimes in the evening I'll have the leftover coffee mixed with Kraken dark roast rum. It's wonderful. So far it doesn't keep me up at night. 

[adding Kraken dark roast rum to the shopping list]

We sometimes add kahlua to our cappuccinos in the evening instead of straight espresso. Now I have to try rum!

(And if coffee drinks are your thing, did you know you can make your own kahlua?  Takes a while, but yummy!  Great for Christmas gifts, coupled with a coffee cup.)

• Like 1

Our French Press claims to be 51 oz (1.5 l). The reality of what's produced is more like 42 oz.

Most days the typical "split" with my wife runs about 16/26 in my favor. Some days (like today) she will scoot out very early and makes her smaller personal pot, leaving me with a full 42 oz.

I got in the habit of drinking coffee out of pint glasses (typically used for beer) while in college at Berkeley, where that's how it was done in the cafes. Recently Mrs Spy Car found a pair of extra-large "pint" glasses that look the same, just upsized. My new coffee "mug."

Bill

16-oz-pint-glasses-0378al-clear158329269

• Like 4

2 hours ago, elegantlion said:

Oh, I'm going to have to look into this.

We bought our oldest a mini Kraken (just the regular) for his Christmas stocking one year, when we learned he liked rum. Since then we've always had a bottle around. Now I see we may need to have two bottles around.

• Like 2

The middle size on my Keurig...which the internet tells me is 8 oz. Plus a bit of half and half and 1 or 2 splenda.....and topped with some whipped cream from a can and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar. Because I'm a grown up and I can have whipped cream on my coffee if I want to!

• Haha 1

Just now, ktgrok said:

The middle size on my Keurig...which the internet tells me is 8 oz. Plus a bit of half and half and 1 or 2 splenda.....and topped with some whipped cream from a can and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar. Because I'm a grown up and I can have whipped cream on my coffee if I want to!

I loooovvveee whipped cream on coffee.  Yum.

• Like 2

Just now, Spryte said:

I loooovvveee whipped cream on coffee.  Yum.

And it's not that many calories, so why not? I started doing it only for special occaisions or whatever, and then was like...wait...why not do it every day? So I do 🙂

In fact, in my house the three things we NEVER run out of are coffee, half and half, and whipped cream. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

And it's not that many calories, so why not? I started doing it only for special occaisions or whatever, and then was like...wait...why not do it every day? So I do 🙂

In fact, in my house the three things we NEVER run out of are coffee, half and half, and whipped cream. 

Right?!  That was such a revelation here, too!  It really isn’t terrible.  So … more for us!  

Editing to add:

image.thumb.jpeg.9a36d681bb8fd79a0892ddd8fac995b7.jpeg

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

About 16oz coffee with cream and a flavor added. I don't always finish it, but it is what I walk out the door with in the morning. It may be hot or cold brew, it depends on the day. 

4F601947-F4FC-467A-9F05-FABB84887FAA.thumb.jpeg.ded442b574ff5adf992520a97116d39e.jpeg morning.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1