Menu

Census is out- did your area gain or lose?

TravelingChris

Our county lost, and has been losing since the early 2000's, and Michigan itself lost enough to lose an electoral vote.

Rocket City is rocking, so I suspect that though our 2nd home is in Morgan County, due to proximity to Rocket City it likely gained. I haven't had a chance to check those number though.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Where do you find that information? When I looked up my county on the census dot gov site it just had 2020 estimates. 

I get this message when I went to https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table?q=United States&tid=PEPPOP2019.PEPANNRES

"The 2020 Redistricting Data will be available on data.census.gov no later than September 30th. The redistricting legacy format summary files are now available on the FTP site. Support materials and additional information are available on the Redistricting Data Program's summary file webpage"

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

We are now the largest city in my state both in area and in population.

Doesnt surprise me.  The building is insane.  I went downtown a few weeks ago and shocked at the number of new apartments there are but apartments and sub division s seem to be going up overnight all over the county.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frances said:

Our state is always growing, but it’s uneven. Generally, more people to the already highly populated areas and fewer or even a loss to the more sparsely populated rural areas.

I haven't examined all the data for my state, but I suspect that  a lot of rural counties will have lost population.  

As for my city-  all 6 of us have moved here since the last census- 5 from VA and 1 (dsil) from MS.

• Like 1

I don’t know what to make of the data. Here, we know we had some degree of boom after the census date. Given our county’s range of density, reality could be wholly different than the given stats in some areas.

So, data says my county actually lost around 1500 people. And that my rural township gained about 300 people. But that was before people from the cities and suburbs became more motivated by COVID and logistically able (real estate was shut down for months) to buy, build, and turn second homes into primary residences.  There are more builds in process than there have been in ages, and what feels like more renos than usual. It worries me that so much rides on that one date.

Both our county and township diversity scales are up into the 60s

Florida continues to grow and it will gain another U.S. representative. No matter how much people complain about this state they keep moving here in droves. Gerrymandering is alive and well, though carefully camouflaged in Florida. The fight is already on to determine where the new district will come from as redistricting begins. Our last redistricting took years and eventually went to the state supreme court.

At the local level it looks like we'll be adding a school district - more accurately redrawing the lines so that we'll have one more district than we currently have. We'll be doing the same with the county commission. My county has had up and down growth for more than half a century, always dependent on the space program. People get transferred in and out of the area all the time based on what's happening with the space industry. Currently it's growing, with private companies such as SpaceX and Blue Origin becoming part of the mix. And with plans to return to the moon and go to Mars even the government space jobs are growing (dh works for a private contractor in the industry). 

Ten years ago after the last census things looked bleak while we were still reeling from the end of the shuttle program. Ten years from now in the next census who knows where we'll be? Every time a space program is cut back the local PTB swear they're going to stop putting all their eggs in the space industry's basket but then they neglect to entice any business/industry with non-space baskets. In recent years they've done a better job but various companies associated with the space program are still among the top employers in the county.

Edited by Lady Florida.

34 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I wonder if in ten years, Covid will show up in the Census numbers (through loss of people, employees, increase in disability etc.) or if ten years is so long that any changes will have evened out by then? 

I sure hope that Covid will have no impact on the 2030 census numbers. 

As expected, the southern and midcoast areas gained population and the second district (the entire rest of the state) lost. They’ll have to redistribute which will cause the primarily rural, underpopulated and generally conservative leaning second district to gain more liberal voters. 

We still hold the unfortunate distinction of being the oldest and least diverse state, though the latter is a bit less so than 10 years ago. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

Well, looks like despite constant talk about people leaving the state, we gained just over 5% in NJ.  

Looks like my county gained about 18,000 people.  

Yes, there is natural growth but as I watched my city council meeting yesterday- the census was in April 2020. The city planners were saying that the growth here since COVID has begun has greatly accelerated.  So those people are coming from somewhere --- not necessarily NJ, but somewhere.

Also-  who is coming and going in different places since March 2020 are two main groups-  one is the group of people who can work at home or have decided to retire early or transfer to other job locations but most of those were not doing so because of desperation, but just realization that they didn't like life in place X or preferred life in place Y-- and those are the people in the news.  The other group are the low income and disadvantaged people who couldn't afford to stay in X play and had to move - either in with someone else, or if they could scrounge enough money-  maybe to relatives who are in a different state or area of the same state or to places that were more open for business so they could get another job.    Almost all of these groups of people moved after April, 2020

5 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I don’t know what to make of the data. Here, we know we had some degree of boom after the census date. Given our county’s range of density, reality could be wholly different than the given stats in some areas.

So, data says my county actually lost around 1500 people. And that my rural township gained about 300 people. But that was before people from the cities and suburbs became more motivated by COVID and logistically able (real estate was shut down for months) to buy, build, and turn second homes into primary residences.  There are more builds in process than there have been in ages, and what feels like more renos than usual. It worries me that so much rides on that one date.

Both our county and township diversity scales are up into the 60s

Exactly, the census was taken in April = now even though it was not finished until months later- the question asked always where you were living in April on a certain day- don't remember which day it was now.

40 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Yes, there is natural growth but as I watched my city council meeting yesterday- the census was in April 2020. The city planners were saying that the growth here since COVID has begun has greatly accelerated.  So those people are coming from somewhere --- not necessarily NJ, but somewhere.

Also-  who is coming and going in different places since March 2020 are two main groups-  one is the group of people who can work at home or have decided to retire early or transfer to other job locations but most of those were not doing so because of desperation, but just realization that they didn't like life in place X or preferred life in place Y-- and those are the people in the news.  The other group are the low income and disadvantaged people who couldn't afford to stay in X play and had to move - either in with someone else, or if they could scrounge enough money-  maybe to relatives who are in a different state or area of the same state or to places that were more open for business so they could get another job.    Almost all of these groups of people moved after April, 2020

I would bet my county has grown considerably MORE since Covid.   I know we've had a lot of people move to this area from the more urban areas.  I know as a state, we've had a lot of people move here from NYC.  

We've had a lot of rent relief and holds on foreclosures over the past year and a half so most low income seem to have been staying put for now.