Menu

Typing program that teaches proper technique

nickh

I'm looking for a typing program for my 6th grader who has little keyboard experience. It seems like some of the programs offer practice, but I'm not convinced they all teach proper technique, like hand position and which fingers to use on which keys. The habits learned at the start will carry through so I'd like to find a program that teaches good form. Does anyone have a recommendation for what to look at? Thanks.

I have found that all of the common, free, online programs we have used do teach proper technique, but that there is simply no way for a computer program to enforce it long enough to build good habits. At our house, there has been no substitute for close supervision during typing lessons...and if I am closely monitoring technique, then it really doesn't matter what program we use.

I tend to start the kids on typing.com with me watching the whole time. Once they are typing comfortably with the correct fingers, albeit very slowly, then I let them move on to more entertaining options like Nitro Type...and still monitor fairly closely to ensure they don't slip into bad habits.

Your mileage may vary, though, because you are dealing with a much older child. My kids start typing lessons around age 7, and stop specific lessons/practice sessions around age 9 when they are getting plenty of practice from typing a lot of school work.

• Like 2

Well in the really ornery camp, you have the option to teach an alternate keyboard so your student can't look at the keys for help, hahaha. I actually did this with my dd around that age because she was struggling. She learned to type Dvorak and I'm having my ds type Dvorak as well. It's a simple change in the keyboard language settings and once you've done it once you can toggle languages as a simple pull down on mac. It's probably almost as simple on pc. 

More typical methods are to place a piece of paper over the student's hands or to do rhythm based drills to automaticity. 

My dd did really well with Mavis Beacon at that age (6th) and it does have a dvorak version. The other thing I did was pay her $1 per wpm for any month in which she *improved* by at least 5 wpm. So if her wpm were 30, then $30. Now you might need to up that to $2 per wpm, lol. But really, about 3 months of that, with the high motivator of $$$$, and she was competent at her typing and the whole touch vs. pecking thing was no longer an issue. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 9:29 AM, wendyroo said:

I have found that all of the common, free, online programs we have used do teach proper technique, but that there is simply no way for a computer program to enforce it long enough to build good habits. At our house, there has been no substitute for close supervision during typing lessons...and if I am closely monitoring technique, then it really doesn't matter what program we use.

I agree with this. Every keyboarding/typing program teaches technique, but the student (most students anyway) must be monitored in person to make sure that they follow what has been instructed. 
I remember lots of disagreements with my DS over keyboarding lessons. We finally worked out that he had to use proper technique during lessons, but that I would not bother him about it outside of lessons.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 9:17 AM, PeterPan said:

Well in the really ornery camp, you have the option to teach an alternate keyboard so your student can't look at the keys for help, hahaha. I actually did this with my dd around that age because she was struggling. She learned to type Dvorak and I'm having my ds type Dvorak as well. It's a simple change in the keyboard language settings and once you've done it once you can toggle languages as a simple pull down on mac. It's probably almost as simple on pc. 

More typical methods are to place a piece of paper over the student's hands or to do rhythm based drills to automaticity. 

My dd did really well with Mavis Beacon at that age (6th) and it does have a dvorak version. The other thing I did was pay her $1 per wpm for any month in which she *improved* by at least 5 wpm. So if her wpm were 30, then $30. Now you might need to up that to $2 per wpm, lol. But really, about 3 months of that, with the high motivator of $$$$, and she was competent at her typing and the whole touch vs. pecking thing was no longer an issue. 

We have the "slowly disappearing letters" method..."Learn the letters as they rub off!"

Keyboard.jpg

• Haha 2

On 8/12/2021 at 9:29 AM, wendyroo said:

I tend to start the kids on typing.com with me watching the whole time. Once they are typing comfortably with the correct fingers, albeit very slowly, then I let them move on to more entertaining options like Nitro Type...and still monitor fairly closely to ensure they don't slip into bad habits.

Another vote for this path.  It's exactly what I've done with my two and they're doing just fine after a few months of practice.