Menu

Root language of words

LauraClark

Ds9 has been very interested in languages lately and where our English words come from. He's getting some from our Latin and Greek studies, but I'm sure he would love a book to read. Are there any books you would recommend? I know there are curriculums (From the Roots Up?)-I'm not necessarily against that, but it would be something he would do in his free time. He's kind of a nerd (in the most loving way-I'm a bit of a nerd too 😉) so probably wouldn't mind doing an unrequired curriculum on his own. But a book might be better.  Thoughts?

Once Upon a Word (Zafarris)
The Word Snoop (Dubosarsky)

Oxford School Dictionary of Word Origins (Ayto)
I can't find sample pages anywhere, but here is a webpage with links to 5 free activity pages to go along with book, and you can get a bit of a feel of the book from the go-along activity pages.

2017 Curious Word Origins, Sayings, and Expressions (Funk)
Also no sample pages. It looks like Heavens to Betsy was the original version and 2017 is the revised newer edition. This one focuses on the origins of sayings rather than etymology (study of the history of word origins).

42 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Once Upon a Word (Zafarris)
The Word Snoop (Dubosarsky)

Oxford School Dictionary of Word Origins (Ayto)
I can't find sample pages anywhere, but here is a webpage with links to 5 free activity pages to go along with book, and you can get a bit of a feel of the book from the go-along activity pages.

2017 Curious Word Origins, Sayings, and Expressions (Funk)
Also no sample pages. It looks like Heavens to Betsy was the original version and 2017 is the revised newer edition. This one focuses on the origins of sayings rather than etymology (study of the history of word origins).

Thanks! Heading to check those out now.

• Like 1

In addition to as @MerryAtHopesays, there are free online dictionaries that have etymonological information. The link she cited is best for overall information, but may be overwhelming for a young student.

The webster 1895 Academic dictionary has good info and is free at Google books or internet archive.

https://archive.org/details/webstersacademi00websgoog/page/n10/mode/2up 

I also like the book "King Alfred's English" by Laurie J. White. She has additional exercises and links here:

https://www.theshorterword.com/king-alfreds-english/student

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 3