Menu

Math after Algebra 2 for a Senior who is DONE with math, but is college bound?

My senior is not a math girl, but got through Alg 1, Geometry, and Alg 2, which is the minimum requirement for her top choice for college (looking at an art major). She does need to take a math class this year because our state requires it. Our state is not picky about what will count as math for homeschoolers. I'm looking for something that is not harder than Alg 2 (she would prefer easier, of course), but also won't look terrible to colleges. 

I bought a 1 semester personal finance class that I want her to take either way. I can count it as math for our state, but I'm guessing colleges would see this as an elective (And maybe that's ok?). If I use this for math, is there another 1 semester math I could use for 2nd semester? I looked at a consumer math class, but it looked pretty much the same as the personal finance class. 

I have seen Integrated math floating around out there, but I don't know much about it. Would that be a good fit here? If so, do you have a class/curriculum recommendation?

Any other thoughts/ideas?

Statistics would not require prior skills beyond Algebra 2. She might even like it better than a regular math class since it can truly be very applied. I don’t have a rec for curriculum because it’s been so long since I taught it, but maybe someone else would.

• Like 2

If she is looking at an Art major, what about some kind of math for liberal arts class? Ideally DE (because then she would have 0 math classes to take in college) but at home would work too.

Statistics would be a good choice as well -- again if DE is available it might mean she has no math classes at all in college, which could be a huge bonus for someone who just wants to be done.

If de is something you are considering at all, our local liberal arts u has several easy math courses they offer to fulfill a general studies math requirement. 

I agree about stats being a good choice. My ds took a one semester stats class from WTMA years ago but I can't remember what texts they used. I do remember that it was just one semester, though, so I think a one semester stats class is reasonable. 

Thanks for the ideas! Statistics wasn't on my radar because I always thought it was a hard class, but I never took it myself. I will look into that. I had considered DE. I'm sure the idea of being done forever would be a big plus! We just need to get through this year! 

Another vote for stats. It depends on what schools she's aiming for - art schools probably won't care that much at all. But art programs in other schools may care a bit more and just because you've met the minimum doesn't mean anything. You usually want to go at least a bit beyond. Stats is a serious class that doesn't have to be terribly hard and is really different math, not to mention practical.

• Like 1

I would do precalc unless she is applying for art/music/theatre programs that require a portfolio or an audition. I don’t know. I just don’t see many college bound kids stopping at Algebra 2 even those heading for liberal arts. Of course we are in CA, so our state schools can be competitive. 
If she had precalc and didn’t want calculus, then I would vote for stats as well. 

Statistics is another one of those courses that some people find harder than calculus and some the other way round. I found It harder but got about the same grade at university.  It is really useful to be statistically literate just to help make sense of all the data thrown at you in life.  

Statistics is a good suggestion. I was surprised that the only math class my nursing major dd had to take in college was statistics, while my math major ds never had to take a statistics class. I actually think it would be worthwhile for everyone to have some exposure to it, because, as several people have mentioned, it can be both interesting and practical. 

Another possibility is business math, bookkeeping, or accounting. Especially if planning on going into Art, she may be looking at having to run her own business, and understanding how to track money and pay taxes could be very useful. ALEKS has self-paced math courses in these areas.

ETA
Another possibility is if the future college Art degree program requires College Algebra, she might do that via dual enrollment and knock it out in advance of college... College Algebra does have a lot of overlap with high school Algebra 2, so it would likely not be horrible for her. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1