Jump to content

Menu

Face-to-face school - anyone else's kids start yet?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, pinball said:

complain about getting the thread back on topic

I’ll take the responsibility for having dragged it back off topic again. It seemed important to make clear for others reading that that post did not speak for Christians in general. So much harm to the church the last few years 😥

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been wondering why there weren't cases in the school. There was another positive in DD's class on Friday and I noticed that the school wasn't emailed. I emailed the principal yesterday to ask how many children have tested positive. 

She responded today, 5 positives total. They are no longer sending notice to the school. They send notice to the parents of the children in the classroom. They send children home if there is a "close contact." "Close contact" is defined as being within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes of a child who is positive. If both children are wearing masks, they are not considered a close contact. She claimed this consistent with the CDC guidance. 

I'm super annoyed. My DD wears a mask so that means that if she's exposed to another child who wears a mask that we wouldn't be notified that she was within 6 feet. We would only be told that she was in the classroom with an effected child. 

This seems ridiculous to me. None of the masks worn by the children are that great, including the one that DD wears. 

Plus I think I should know if DD is close to another child who tested positive. Also they basing the close contact on where they sit in the classroom, not who they sit with at lunch. 

  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DD's college is requiring testing of everyone as they are getting to campus.  They did a big testing day the end of last week.  They had .4% test positive, 2 students and 1 staff.  She was feeling pretty good about the numbers.  The school is doing a good job for the most part with following covid guidelines to keep people safe.

I am concerned about this coming week here, however.  Our K-12 schools start and there is a mask mandate, but there are a lot of parents protesting, and I fear that some teachers will not be following the mandate or enforcing it.  I am so glad my brother, who is a teacher, was able to get his booster shot because of his immune issues.  Our numbers are already high, percent positivity is around 28.7% and climbing, and our hospital is overwhelmed with tents set up outside for the overflow.  I worry starting school right now will be a disaster, but I pray I am wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Loowit said:

Our numbers are already high, percent positivity is around 28.7% and climbing,

Yikes, that’s high. Hopefully we start finding mask mandates are enough to prevent out of control outbreaks in the schools. I don’t expect it will prevent them all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I've been wondering why there weren't cases in the school. There was another positive in DD's class on Friday and I noticed that the school wasn't emailed. I emailed the principal yesterday to ask how many children have tested positive. 

She responded today, 5 positives total. They are no longer sending notice to the school. They send notice to the parents of the children in the classroom. They send children home if there is a "close contact." "Close contact" is defined as being within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes of a child who is positive. If both children are wearing masks, they are not considered a close contact. She claimed this consistent with the CDC guidance. 

I'm super annoyed. My DD wears a mask so that means that if she's exposed to another child who wears a mask that we wouldn't be notified that she was within 6 feet. We would only be told that she was in the classroom with an effected child. 

This seems ridiculous to me. None of the masks worn by the children are that great, including the one that DD wears. 

Plus I think I should know if DD is close to another child who tested positive. Also they basing the close contact on where they sit in the classroom, not who they sit with at lunch. 

This is very similar to our school's policy last year. Except that they did quarantine people who sat together at lunch, more than those who sat near each other in classrooms, because during lunch the masks were off. We got a lot of letters about Covid in my kids' classrooms, but there was only one time that one of my kids had to quarantine, for sharing a lunch table. My kids did not get Covid last year (well, DD19 did, but she was away at college, not the high school).

This year, they are planning to only notify parents if a certain level of Covid positives are in one classroom, not for just one case. There was no explanation of how they determine when to notify, exactly.

Our school had a Covid dashboard last school year, but they took it down.

I was not happy with the way our district and health department did everything last year, but things went better than anyone expected. This year, they have returned to normal operations for most things and seem to think that this year will go better than last year. I'm worried that it will be worse, because they have removed so many of the protections, and Delta is so contagious.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Loowit said:

DD's college is requiring testing of everyone as they are getting to campus.  They did a big testing day the end of last week.  They had .4% test positive, 2 students and 1 staff.  She was feeling pretty good about the numbers.  The school is doing a good job for the most part with following covid guidelines to keep people safe.

I am concerned about this coming week here, however.  Our K-12 schools start and there is a mask mandate, but there are a lot of parents protesting, and I fear that some teachers will not be following the mandate or enforcing it.  I am so glad my brother, who is a teacher, was able to get his booster shot because of his immune issues.  Our numbers are already high, percent positivity is around 28.7% and climbing, and our hospital is overwhelmed with tents set up outside for the overflow.  I worry starting school right now will be a disaster, but I pray I am wrong.

Teachers are also mandated to get vaccinated.  Have you heard anything about that? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ugh my kid who has OCD just went on a rant about her worries.  I have had a runny nose (not unusual for me), and she suddenly said, "do you have the Delta variant?  Because if you have it you're going to give it to me and then I'll go to school and give it to a bunch of kids who will take it home to their parents and grandparents and people will die."  I pointed out that if I get Delta, it will be because my kids brought it home from school, since I'm not around other people.

  • Sad 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Teachers are also mandated to get vaccinated.  Have you heard anything about that? 

They are fighting that too. Many are threatening to quit. I am not sure how many actually will. We have a pretty low vaccination rate in our county ans it isn't going up much at all. There is a lot of misinformation and conspiracy theories going around on local social media. 

  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My younger kid starts today.  It’s sixth grade orientation so his brother isn’t back yet.  

I am very relieved that we’re in an area with low rates and tons of precautions, and feeling for those of you in other areas.  Still a little nervous.  I can count on one hand the indoor places my kid has been in the past 21 months (we went on lockdown for flu 3 months before covid because of his brother). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My "kid" (my DD) is now a Young Adult. Today is her FDOC in her "Semester Abroad" program in Germany.  She was switched, with millions of other students in the USA, suddenly, from in-person classes to online courses, early in 2020. This is her return to in-person classes and I am sure that it will be different for her and the other students who make that transition.

The university in Germany normally has approximately 200 students in their "Semester Abroad" programs. This semester there are 40 plus.  With time, more students will be attending in-person courses.

Edited by Lanny
typo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My eldest decided to put on a mask when exiting the car this morning.  My other daughter told me that maybe 5% of kids in their school mask.  Since our vax rates among teens are not super high, I think there should be more masking, but I understand it's not easy to be the one who stands out in high school.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SKL said:

Ugh my kid who has OCD just went on a rant about her worries.  I have had a runny nose (not unusual for me), and she suddenly said, "do you have the Delta variant?  Because if you have it you're going to give it to me and then I'll go to school and give it to a bunch of kids who will take it home to their parents and grandparents and people will die."  I pointed out that if I get Delta, it will be because my kids brought it home from school, since I'm not around other people.

This is so sad. I hope she is OK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, SKL said:

My eldest decided to put on a mask when exiting the car this morning.  My other daughter told me that maybe 5% of kids in their school mask.  Since our vax rates among teens are not super high, I think there should be more masking, but I understand it's not easy to be the one who stands out in high school.

It isn’t easy.  I think asking kids to take on that burden for themselves rather than the adults (in this case school staff, this isn’t a criticism of your parenting) is so unfair.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

It isn’t easy.  I think asking kids to take on that burden for themselves rather than the adults (in this case school staff, this isn’t a criticism of your parenting) is so unfair.

I don't know if the teachers are generally masking.  I will need to ask my kids about that.  It is strongly recommended but not required in our district.  At least some of the teachers are recommending it, so I assume they are following their own advice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SKL said:

I don't know if the teachers are generally masking.  I will need to ask my kids about that.  It is strongly recommended but not required in our district.  At least some of the teachers are recommending it, so I assume they are following their own advice.

Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that.

What I mean is that when we “recommend” masks we put kids in the difficult position of needing to make a decision that someone will judge them for it.  On the other hand, when we require masks, then kids are spared that, and the adults carry the burden.

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that.

What I mean is that when we “recommend” masks we put kids in the difficult position of needing to make a decision that someone will judge them for it.  On the other hand, when we require masks, then kids are spared that, and the adults carry the burden.

Yes, but honestly, I think high schoolers are old enough to take some responsibility.  Not saying it's easy, but life isn't easy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Storygirl said:

This is very similar to our school's policy last year. Except that they did quarantine people who sat together at lunch, more than those who sat near each other in classrooms, because during lunch the masks were off. We got a lot of letters about Covid in my kids' classrooms, but there was only one time that one of my kids had to quarantine, for sharing a lunch table. My kids did not get Covid last year (well, DD19 did, but she was away at college, not the high school).

This year, they are planning to only notify parents if a certain level of Covid positives are in one classroom, not for just one case. There was no explanation of how they determine when to notify, exactly.

Our school had a Covid dashboard last school year, but they took it down.

I was not happy with the way our district and health department did everything last year, but things went better than anyone expected. This year, they have returned to normal operations for most things and seem to think that this year will go better than last year. I'm worried that it will be worse, because they have removed so many of the protections, and Delta is so contagious.

We HSed last year but the school did a decent job last year. Masks were required for everyone. They set up cohorts and there was no mixing between cohorts in school. Now they're back to normal. The only things they've instituted this year is to beg the parents to send their kids in masks and to prohibit more than 6 kids sitting at a lunch table. 

I just got an email this morning from the teacher about Zoom for the kids who are quarantining. Which kids are quarantining? 

The way they're approaching it like it's a big secret is so annoying. A friend told that she knows parents who are afraid that a positive will go on their kids' permanent record? Huh? 

  • Confused 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quick update on my daughter's Health teacher: The principal said the teacher's mask is okay. I can't find anything other than recommendations from the state that masks be a tight-weaved fabric. So I guess there's nothing that can be done from a legal perspective.

But from an ethical perspective, this teacher is a hot mess.

I cannot engage in a big fight over this. I have to choose my battles. My daughter will continue to report to the counselor's office for class so at least she won't be exposed to this person's toxicity and misinformation. 

  • Sad 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SKL said:

Yes, but honestly, I think high schoolers are old enough to take some responsibility.  Not saying it's easy, but life isn't easy.

Yes, but as we have seen from stores and rules about "if you are unvaccinated, you should mask," adults are completely unable to take on this responsibility as a collective.  

It's so much better if it's mandated from on high.  Kids don't have to stick out and worry about being teased by other kids.  It's just the rule.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dropped my 11 year old off for 6th grade orientation.  He tells me his plan is to ask every single sixth grader (private school, so a reasonably small number) how old they are, memorize which ones are 12, and then trade seats so he can sit next to one of them in every class.  

My 14 year old says that if he did this people would think he was weird, but that his little brother has "Jedi mind powers" and people will be like "Sure, no problem".   I suspect he is right.  

  • Haha 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My six year old is over quarantine and her brother never got sick. We actually had a fight this weekend about wearing masks in public. I thought he was pulling my leg! He used to be super pro-mask and then suddenly he thinks he's immune to covid because he was in a house with two covid positive people (dd and dh) at dh's house. Not only was he in the home with them, at one point he ate off her plate of food. I was like WHAT. In a lapse of memory/covid brain/whatever, dh apparently told ds to finish dd's food and ds took a bite without thinking. I said well it's great you didn't get sick, but I just think you should still wear a mask in public. I explained my reasoning and he was irritated (which I sorta get.... I tend to worry what others think more than he does). I said it looks bad if we go to the church without masks when the priest urges people to wear one. He pointed out that it was optional and I said yes, but the priest would like us to and I think it makes others more comfortable. When we go to Mass Saturday night there wasn't much of a crowd and we were spaced out so I said ok you can remove it if you want (but I make them wear them in the Communion line at least). Well ironically the lady two pews in front of me without a mask on sneezed and I sneezed during Mass. I later said see, you never know when someone will sneeze. He decided to keep his mask on the entire service, though. I was actually really disappointed at how few people wore masks to the service. But it will not stop me from wearing mine. 

The clinic closed today for weather so I can't get my second vaccine this afternoon. I don't know when they can reschedule. Hopefully I can go later this week. After all that has happened I asked the kids if people on campus are wearing masks and ds said not really and that he's seen the headmaster walking around campus without one on. UGH. These are the models my kids have. Makes me so mad. 

In case anyone is wondering, dd's main symptoms were upset stomach and sore throat but the sore throat may have been from the strep. Even last night she complained of a tender injection site from the antibiotics they gave her for strep.  

Just FYI, it took 4 days for dh to get his 3-day test results. I can't remember if I already posted about that. And he had a whole list of symptoms. Then to add salt to the wound he found out they are not giving "covid sick days" at work this year so he had to use 10 days (which I think mostly came from his vacation) during quarantine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live in Boston. The state educational authorities have mandated masks and I believe the city's public school is making vaccines strongly encouraged. The local right wing (politically as well as religiously) Orthodox Jewish day school just published their covid guidelines on Friday (they start tomorrow), which are no masks mandated as well as no vaccines mandated by staff, faculty, or students. There is a minority of families who are very upset.

The Orthodox Jewish girl's high school my daughter attends will publish their guidelines today (they start Wednesday). My husband was on the reopening committee last year. This year he was not asked to join. The doctors in the committee told him that they aren't going to push because they have been harassed by community members. Some board members are pro-mitigation, but most aren't. I told my DH that we won't donate to any school that doesn't advocate for robust mitigation systems. All the other Jewish schools in the area will mask and require vaccines as much as they can.

I'm so tired of feeling disdain (or worse) for my fellow Jews.

  • Sad 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

I live in Boston. The state educational authorities have mandated masks and I believe the city's public school is making vaccines strongly encouraged. The local right wing (politically as well as religiously) Orthodox Jewish day school just published their covid guidelines on Friday (they start tomorrow), which are no masks mandated as well as no vaccines mandated by staff, faculty, or students. There is a minority of families who are very upset.

The Orthodox Jewish girl's high school my daughter attends will publish their guidelines today (they start Wednesday). My husband was on the reopening committee last year. This year he was not asked to join. The doctors in the committee told him that they aren't going to push because they have been harassed by community members. Some board members are pro-mitigation, but most aren't. I told my DH that we won't donate to any school that doesn't advocate for robust mitigation systems. All the other Jewish schools in the area will mask and require vaccines as much as they can.

I'm so tired of feeling disdain (or worse) for my fellow Jews.

Isn't Israel already doing the experiment of what happens if you don't mask and don't vaccinate? 😕 The death numbers are really not great, despite the high levels of vaccination... 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

UPDATE: my DD's school will follow the other ultra "religious" schools in not requiring masks nor vaccination. Nor even testing after people go away to other locations to visit family (even though that's how most of the outbreaks began last year). I am SO f'in angry right now. The head of the school has a daughter with a lung illness for goodness sake! They pray for her but refuse to keep her family safer? WTH?  

  • Sad 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Metro public school system here has roughly 4000 people in quarantine and over 600 positive cases.

They have no provision for virtual classes this year. Masks are required, but idk how well that is enforced.

Glad my kids are not in this system! Sad for those who are having to endure both delta and chaos in school.

eta: 86K students in the system. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Sad 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next door neighbor’s child is in quarantine. One of her classmates tested positive. Her three siblings are not quarantined, and go to a different school. I don’t really know how that works.

Bingo,anyone?

 

 

Edited by Spryte
Link
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Metro public school system here has roughly 4000 people in quarantine and over 600 positive cases.

They have no provision for virtual classes this year. Masks are required, but idk how well that is enforced.

Glad my kids are not in this system! Sad for those who are having to endure both delta and chaos in school.

600?  Well, Hillsborough County Public Schools have that beat - try 6000.

6,153 reported employee and student cases since Aug. 2.  School started Aug. 10. To put this in perspective, "there were 8,771 cases if COVID-19 reported to the district between March 2020 and July 2021." 17 months vs. less than 1 month.  Tighter mask mandate was implemented Aug. 18, I believe? So far, I am seeing no signs that it has helped whatsoever. Yesterday's numbers were 399 students, 56 employees who reported positive test results.  Total current district impact is 9,134 in quarantine, but this number fluctuates as people get cleared.  We're still getting almost daily calls that students in my son's high school are infected - 73 students and 9 employees so far.

  • Sad 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ikslo said:

600?  Well, Hillsborough County Public Schools have that beat - try 6000.

6,153 reported employee and student cases since Aug. 2.  School started Aug. 10. To put this in perspective, "there were 8,771 cases if COVID-19 reported to the district between March 2020 and July 2021." 17 months vs. less than 1 month.  Tighter mask mandate was implemented Aug. 18, I believe? So far, I am seeing no signs that it has helped whatsoever. Yesterday's numbers were 399 students, 56 employees who reported positive test results.  Total current district impact is 9,134 in quarantine, but this number fluctuates as people get cleared.  We're still getting almost daily calls that students in my son's high school are infected - 73 students and 9 employees so far.

 How big is the district?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

UPDATE: my DD's school will follow the other ultra "religious" schools in not requiring masks nor vaccination. Nor even testing after people go away to other locations to visit family (even though that's how most of the outbreaks began last year). I am SO f'in angry right now. The head of the school has a daughter with a lung illness for goodness sake! They pray for her but refuse to keep her family safer? WTH?  

Like the ancient rabbis said, "All Israel is responsible for one another, until people get tired of it, in which case, whatever."

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, JennyD said:

Like the ancient rabbis said, "All Israel is responsible for one another, until people get tired of it, in which case, whatever."

 

Oh dear.

@YaelAldrich I thought immediately of the famous passage from the Talmud (Sanhedrin 37a / Mishnah Sanhedrin 4:9) that's  translated variously:

Whoever destroys a soul, it is considered as if he destroyed an entire world. And whoever saves a life, it is considered as if he saved an entire world.

What on earth are these rabbis thinking from a religiously Jewish perspective?

Makes my head want to explode.

Bill

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Oh dear.

@YaelAldrich I thought immediately of the famous passage from the Talmud (Sanhedrin 37a / Mishnah Sanhedrin 4:9) that's  translated variously:

Whoever destroys a soul, it is considered as if he destroyed an entire world. And whoever saves a life, it is considered as if he saved an entire world.

What on earth are these rabbis thinking from a religiously Jewish perspective?

Makes my head want to explode.

Bill

 

They are no different than their Taliban like Christian brothers. They don't believe science has anything to say to them, they don't want anyone else to have power, they want to keep their followers in a small, uneducated world.

It makes me sick. And furious. And making me consider again why I'm still religious if these people are supposed to be the leaders.

  • Sad 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Spryte said:

Next door neighbor’s child is in quarantine. One of her classmates tested positive. Her three siblings are not quarantined, and go to a different school. I don’t really know how that works.

Bingo,anyone?

 

 

Oooh, "making scientific-based parenting decisions for people" sounds like the job for me, lol. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, YaelAldrich said:

They are no different than their Taliban like Christian brothers. They don't believe science has anything to say to them, they don't want anyone else to have power, they want to keep their followers in a small, uneducated world.

It makes me sick. And furious. And making me consider again why I'm still religious if these people are supposed to be the leaders.

I'm truly sorry and understand (and share) your fury.

Reform?

Bill

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I posted this in the other thread (about locking down), but thought it was relevant here as well:

Pediatric cases in Arkansas are now 30% of all Covid cases.

In Spokane, WA, six children are in critical care due to Covid

Pediatric Covid-19 hospitalizations in Florida reach record highs

AAP Study: Myocarditis risk 37 times higher for children with Covid-19

85 pediatric patients hospitalized with Covid-19 in North Texas

I could post more, but it's too depressing. Child deaths from Covid-19 are now also being reported in several states.

***********************************

I am almost beside myself with wondering what has happened to this formerly-great-now-just-a-f*cking-dumpster-fire-of-a-country? I think back to my school years (70's & 80's) & I cannot imagine parents and community members then *not caring* about children getting severely sick and risking life-long health complications. (And if someone isn't willing to do something to keep children from catching said virus, they don't care, no matter what else they say. Ditto for politicians and elected officials who refuse to lead during this time.)

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2021 at 8:11 PM, Not_a_Number said:

Isn't Israel already doing the experiment of what happens if you don't mask and don't vaccinate? 😕 The death numbers are really not great, despite the high levels of vaccination... 

Israel is vaccinating. The experiment is that it vaccinated very early, with 3 weeks' gap between doses, then removed the other protective measures in that small window when it thought it had the virus beaten.  Preliminary results indicate that it is already benefitting a lot from doing boosters of the vaccine (in that hospitalisations halved 2 weeks after the booster program started). Note I'm calling them preliminary because nothing peer-reviewed or pre-printed has been done to disambiguate boosters from more cautious behaviour.

Northern Ireland students start school today, England starts next week, Scotland started a fortnight ago.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Spryte said:

Next door neighbor’s child is in quarantine. One of her classmates tested positive. Her three siblings are not quarantined, and go to a different school. I don’t really know how that works.

Bingo,anyone?

 

 

Here (and we’re in a place where things are better relative to a lot of the US, and the health department is cautious), contacts of contacts don’t quarantine.  

So, if a kid is home with no symptoms and a negative test, their siblings still go to school.

If the kid tests positive or has symptoms, the family stays home.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ieta_cassiopeia said:

Israel is vaccinating. The experiment is that it vaccinated very early, with 3 weeks' gap between doses, then removed the other protective measures in that small window when it thought it had the virus beaten.  Preliminary results indicate that it is already benefitting a lot from doing boosters of the vaccine (in that hospitalisations halved 2 weeks after the booster program started). Note I'm calling them preliminary because nothing peer-reviewed or pre-printed has been done to disambiguate boosters from more cautious behaviour.

Northern Ireland students start school today, England starts next week, Scotland started a fortnight ago.

Sorry, I mean that they did the experiment of not doing boosters on time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Happy2BaMom said:

I posted this in the other thread (about locking down), but thought it was relevant here as well:

Pediatric cases in Arkansas are now 30% of all Covid cases.

In Spokane, WA, six children are in critical care due to Covid

Pediatric Covid-19 hospitalizations in Florida reach record highs

AAP Study: Myocarditis risk 37 times higher for children with Covid-19

85 pediatric patients hospitalized with Covid-19 in North Texas

I could post more, but it's too depressing. Child deaths from Covid-19 are now also being reported in several states.

***********************************

I am almost beside myself with wondering what has happened to this formerly-great-now-just-a-f*cking-dumpster-fire-of-a-country? I think back to my school years (70's & 80's) & I cannot imagine parents and community members then *not caring* about children getting severely sick and risking life-long health complications. (And if someone isn't willing to do something to keep children from catching said virus, they don't care, no matter what else they say. Ditto for politicians and elected officials who refuse to lead during this time.)

I think it’s no coincidence that things changed significantly after the fairness doctrine expired in the late 80s.  After that we had the rise of partisan talk radio and infotainment news channels. 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Happy2BaMom said:

I think back to my school years (70's & 80's) & I cannot imagine parents and community members then *not caring* about children getting severely sick and risking life-long health complications. (And if someone isn't willing to do something to keep children from catching said virus, they don't care, no matter what else they say. Ditto for politicians and elected officials who refuse to lead during this time.)

I don't know...people fought against second hand smoke legislation pretty dang hard, even knowing it hurt kids. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Here (and we’re in a place where things are better relative to a lot of the US, and the health department is cautious), contacts of contacts don’t quarantine.  

So, if a kid is home with no symptoms and a negative test, their siblings still go to school.

If the kid tests positive or has symptoms, the family stays home.

Same.

Quarantines are super disruptive.  To quarantine every indirect contact without evidence that the direct contact is sick would be even more harsh than last year's lockdowns.

I hope the quarantined kid is getting tested.  Also, it would be good if the non-quarantined sibs are masking at school.

But realistically, it looks like this variant is inescapable.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looked at our district dashboard, and keeping in mind that both teachers and parents say it is way undercounting, we are having more than double the number of cases per day that we had even at the highest point of last school year (jan/feb). Highest I saw last year was 88 cases in a day, we are having over 200 a day on average, I'd say. Highest day so far was 382, yesterday was 282. 

We started with a mask mandate for real (vs parent opt out version) this past monday, several weeks into the school year, so we shall see if that helps. But pandora's box may already be opened. 

Link below shows the current dashboard, in the upper right corner there is a link to last year's dashboard. 

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiMzdmYWM1N2QtNjIxMS00ODk3LWI3ZGUtYjZmODQzNTY4ZDA0IiwidCI6IjMwYTczNzMxLTdkNWEtNDY5My1hNGFmLTFmNWQ0ZTc0Y2E5MyIsImMiOjF9

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Here (and we’re in a place where things are better relative to a lot of the US, and the health department is cautious), contacts of contacts don’t quarantine.  

So, if a kid is home with no symptoms and a negative test, their siblings still go to school.

If the kid tests positive or has symptoms, the family stays home.

That makes sense. The chain of contact to contact would be long, and mean too many kids, too many disruptions. 

Yikes, though, our district has 900+ kids in quarantine as it is. That’s a lot of kids who are direct contacts. I somehow hoped some were siblings. This makes it worse. They actually just closed a middle school and a high school last week, for 10 school days.

Does your district have any guidelines re: what kids should do while kids are quarantining?

Another neighborhood kid here is probably “quarantined” as we have seen him out riding his bike during school hours the last week or so. He knocks on our door here and there, to see if our kids want to come out during school. DH thinks he’s likely home due to a quarantine for now, but his family is in the “this is a hoax” camp. I just go to the door and tell him that we are doing school (which is true). (I have a soft spot for this kid, he has a hard life, and we would never be unkind to him, no worries.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, SKL said:

Same.

Quarantines are super disruptive.  To quarantine every indirect contact without evidence that the direct contact is sick would be even more harsh than last year's lockdowns.

I hope the quarantined kid is getting tested.  Also, it would be good if the non-quarantined sibs are masking at school.

But realistically, it looks like this variant is inescapable.

Right, talk about exponential growth. 

Our quarantined next door neighbor is getting tested. Our other neighborhood kid I mentioned above is just out and about as normal, visiting various houses to find a kid who can hang out … knocking on doors, biking to stores, unlikely that he will get tested. Hopefully he is healthy, and stays well, not positive. He’s a sweet kid with a rough life.

I don’t know what to make of the thought that this variant is inescapable. It may be, but that’s a hard concept to swallow with immune compromised kids, and self. I’m not ready for what that means. It would be an easier thought to swallow if our family were robustly healthy like some we know.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Spryte said:

Next door neighbor’s child is in quarantine. One of her classmates tested positive. Her three siblings are not quarantined, and go to a different school. I don’t really know how that works.

Bingo,anyone?

 

 

This is exactly how quarantine worked last year.

You quarantine due to YOUR contact with someone positive for coronavirus. Not your contact with someone who has had contact.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...