Menu

Dr.Hive need advice plz- TMI

Princess5

I have been having some sort of light itching or discomfort in my vulval fold on one side for a few weeks and it settled down.  I usually don't check down there but I just thought I'd take a mirror and see how things are doing and I was shocked to see a white spot on that side, a bit raised bump like thing It's about the size of a peanut I would say.  I was scared and I was googling and it got up stuff like vulvar cancer etc I now I'm panicking...

Did anybody have any experience having white spots on vulva  and it resolved on its own?  I'm 42 years old and don't have any problems with yeast infections or vaginal bacterial infections etc.. I go a pap smear about 2 years ago and it was fine..should I run to the doctor asap?  I'm not having any discomfort itching etc..right now. Thank you

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

You can get pimples down there. (Might not itch though). I would make an appointment with the doctor just to make sure. 

Yes sometimes I do get pimple. . But this seems weird it's white in color and it's like an area which have never seen before

I've had cysts in that area - usually they itch at first, then hurt if they get bigger. Washing with chlorhexidine helps. The dermatologist says it is from heat/sweat/friction. Is the bump tender to the touch? If so, I'd assume a cyst. If not, I'd get in quickly to check it, probably still a cyst, but better to biopsy it. 

• Like 2

Speaking as someone who has also spent a fair bit of time in recent weeks searching "vulvar cancer," I highly, highly recommend stepping away from the Google and just making a gyn appointment.  

I have a history of melanoma, which can also show up in the vulva, so I was completely freaked out, but my doc authoritatively diagnosed a cyst.  Turns out there are all kinds of weird but harmless bits and bobs that can grow in there, especially as you get older.  Fun times!

Seriously, you'll make yourself crazy trying to self-diagnose this stuff.  It is almost certainly nothing but go get it looked at.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, JennyD said:

Speaking as someone who has also spent a fair bit of time in recent weeks searching "vulvar cancer," I highly, highly recommend stepping away from the Google and just making a gyn appointment.  

I have a history of melanoma, which can also show up in the vulva, so I was completely freaked out, but my doc authoritatively diagnosed a cyst.  Turns out there are all kinds of weird but harmless bits and bobs that can grow in there, especially as you get older.  Fun times!

Seriously, you'll make yourself crazy trying to self-diagnose this stuff.  It is almost certainly nothing but go get it looked at.

Definitely agree. A doctor can definitively find out what it is. Can lance it in sterile conditions if necessary (really don’t try this on your own) and in the unlikely case that it is cancer, can get you treatment immediately. 

• Like 1

I would make an appointment to have it checked out right away, but wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it is anything dire because so many conditions have similar symptoms. One possibility is lichen sclerosus, a skin condition that causes itchy, white patches on the vulva and is treatable with a topical steroid. Do not look up images of it because the images tend to show what it can look like if left untreated for many years. 

21 minutes ago, Megbo said:

I would make an appointment to have it checked out right away, but wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it is anything dire because so many conditions have similar symptoms. One possibility is lichen sclerosus, a skin condition that causes itchy, white patches on the vulva and is treatable with a topical steroid. Do not look up images of it because the images tend to show what it can look like if left untreated for many years. 

LOL, I have actually looked up a similar condition, and was like 'Um...WHAT IS THAT! THAT IS NOT WHAT I HAVE!!!" But yeah, it was "worst case" photos - like what it looks like in an immune compromised person after 10 years or whatever. Turns out, doctors don't stop and take photos of the regular presentation of something like that, lol. 

That said, if your Gyn isn't helpful after a visit, see a dermatologist. Mine Gyn had no idea what to do about my cysts, but a dermatologist did. (she wasn't 100 percent what it was either, to be fair, but she knew how to fix it at least)

I've had some issues there but I don't even want to share anything. Not because I'm being private, but because you'll just make yourself crazy because who knows. You just need to see the doctor. It could be a super normal rash that needs OTC creams or something serious but Google cannot tell you so there's no use speculating. Just make the appointment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, EKS said:

Try sticking it with a needle to see if it drains.  Sorry, gross, but it might solve the problem.

PLease do NOT do this. Unless you would like to risk having a woundvac attached there for weeks on end. And yep I've seen that happen more than once. Make an appointment with your Gyn.

On 8/11/2021 at 12:39 PM, ktgrok said:

I've had cysts in that area - usually they itch at first, then hurt if they get bigger. Washing with chlorhexidine helps. The dermatologist says it is from heat/sweat/friction. Is the bump tender to the touch? If so, I'd assume a cyst. If not, I'd get in quickly to check it, probably still a cyst, but better to biopsy it. 

Did the dermatologist suggest something like Hibiclens or a prescription formula?  Thanks so much. 

On 8/11/2021 at 12:33 PM, Princess5 said:

I have been having some sort of light itching or discomfort in my vulval fold on one side for a few weeks and it settled down.  I usually don't check down there but I just thought I'd take a mirror and see how things are doing and I was shocked to see a white spot on that side, a bit raised bump like thing It's about the size of a peanut I would say.  I was scared and I was googling and it got up stuff like vulvar cancer etc I now I'm panicking...

Did anybody have any experience having white spots on vulva  and it resolved on its own?  I'm 42 years old and don't have any problems with yeast infections or vaginal bacterial infections etc.. I go a pap smear about 2 years ago and it was fine..should I run to the doctor asap?  I'm not having any discomfort itching etc..right now. Thank you

I would also recommend you contacting the doctor's office.  I absolutely have freaked myself out googling symptoms online.  Hope you get answers soon.  

38 minutes ago, CindyH in NC said:

Did the dermatologist suggest something like Hibiclens or a prescription formula?  Thanks so much. 

Hibiclense. And a topical antibiotic gel that didn't do a whole lot. But the hibiclense seemed to help - I use it at first signs now. And avoid wearing jeans, which seem to trigger it, or shorts with tight crotch. Soft breathable leggings seem fine. 

• Like 1