Menu

THREE math classes???!!!????

3 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

That seems kind of... problematic. Has anyone pointed out to her that failing classes might be a problem later in life? 

Yes...but it doesn't seem to matter. I think she is figuring that she can always go back to homeschooling, graduate, and it won't matter what she does this year. Of course, she had the same attitude about the online school last year, which is why we ended up with this "three periods of math" thing. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

Yes...but it doesn't seem to matter. I think she is figuring that she can always go back to homeschooling, graduate, and it won't matter what she does this year. Of course, she had the same attitude about the online school last year, which is why we ended up with this "three periods of math" thing. 

Yikes. 

This is making me rather glad that we're instituting grades with my extremely bright but resistant child this year. I'd like her to get used to the idea that how she does on things matters. She's very bright but not all that interested in doing things carefully or well as long as she seems to be learning things by her own metrics... which is admirable and all, but I can see leading to problems down the road! 

I think it's a combination of things, but yeah. It's a mess.  It's very frustrating to see a competent, capable kid essentially choosing to flunk out, with no awareness of just how much this is likely to hurt. Even the local community college won't take you without a high school diploma or test scores showing college readiness. And if she's failing algebra 1 and geometry, I don't know what the chances of getting above the 50th% on an ACT or SAT math section is. As far as I can tell, she's gone backwards over the last 18 months. 

• Sad 2

On 9/11/2021 at 3:06 PM, Dmmetler said:

And if she's failing algebra 1 and geometry, I don't know what the chances of getting above the 50th% on an ACT or SAT math section is. 

She could take a practice test, and that would give some great information on whether her school performance is a match to her ability. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, katilac said:

She could take a practice test, and that would give some great information on whether her school performance is a match to her ability. 

Assuming she'd actually pay attention to the test, I guess 😕 . If she's flunking tests due to lack of caring, she may do the same here... 

Edited by Not_a_Number