Menu

Not Back To School fun - do you have a tradition?

Eos

Our family used to have a transitional week of doing fun stuff that also included gathering up/boxing/labelling/deep storage of the past year and setting up desks and school supply purchase.  I know others do special dinners or trips.  I want to do something fun for dd16 for these last two years but a lot of traditions that we did with the older kids have fallen away with just one.  What has your family done to mark the not-back-to-school transition?

We do a week of tech free camping.  It helps reset the brain, get everyone ready, and feel like summer is at an end.  And I do mean, tech free.  Where we camp, there's no cell service unless we head into the nearest village.

That was actually last week for us.  This week is the work of cleaning all that up, getting in some last minute major things, and we'll start a light week of school on Sunday next.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harpymom said:

Our family used to have a transitional week of doing fun stuff that also included gathering up/boxing/labelling/deep storage of the past year and setting up desks and school supply purchase.  I know others do special dinners or trips.  I want to do something fun for dd16 for these last two years but a lot of traditions that we did with the older kids have fallen away with just one.  What has your family done to mark the not-back-to-school transition?

Did you ask her what she wanted to do?

Some stuff has changed bc of Covid…but we have done…Local field trips, movies or live theatre, special restaurants, outdoor art projects, nature walks/art, volunteering. Sometimes these tie in with studies, sometimes not.

“first day of school pictures”

• Thanks 1

We used to go on vacation the week after PS started and before we started school.  Great time for otherwise crowded venues. 

On our first day we have a family tradition of (safe for us) donuts for breakfast, and our breakfast nook table is piled high with new books and binders, art supplies, school supplies.  We do a version of school cones - only it was requested so many years it became a yearly tradition.  It’s a pretty mellow day, organizing things and getting ready for the year.

If my kids could eat out, we would absolutely be going out for breakfast on the first day, but allergies didn’t cooperate so we landed on the above.

• Like 1

We used to go to the local amusement park/water park after the districts near it went back to school. 

On our "first day of school" (which is later than local schools) we go to Dunkin and I let kid(s) get the sugar bomb coffee drinks of their hearts desire and donuts. We take them to our favorite regional park. We eat donuts, drink our beverages, hike, wade and wander and take a few photos. 

This year we are putting off return to regular schooling so DS can continue to work as a lifeguard. Our local school district went back August 3. He is getting tons of hours cause the other guards are returning to school/college. It's not exciting or fun but the cash is nice lol. The pool closes Labor Day. We are slowly adding a bit of school but are in no rush. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pinball said:

Cool!

I hope there are are some available for her and you, if you want to do it, too.

Oh my, it sounds delightful.  I haven't had a massage for years.  I'm going for it!  Maybe we'll do an early hike with donuts (thanks for the consensus, previous posters) then go.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

We do a week of tech free camping.

Unsure why this reply just showed up for me, but this sounds divine.  I'm going to suggest this for a night but not actually call it tech free, just, you know, camping...where there's no cell service...

Edited by Harpymom