Menu

Can DD take Alexa dot to the dorm?

BlsdMama

Yes.  We have one at my mom’s house and one at my daughter’s house all on the same account.  It doesn’t care where it is, only the account it’s logged into.

the only drawback for us is when we occasionally try to stream music at the same time and we can’t.  Nbd for us, maybe for you?

Feels like a potential ad campaign… Alexa goes to college. 😊

If two roommates each bring Alexa, one may have to change their wake word. We changed ours recently and, wow, it’s a hard adjustment!

Otherwise, I’ve heard of Alexa in dorms.  My mother used to use our account in her apartment, too, for music.  

Edited by Spryte

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

Something to consider…If she’s sharing a room, it would be courteous to make sure her roommate is comfortable with it. For my techy DS, knowing he was being constantly surveilled would be a hard pass. 

Yes. I hate Alexa, and the device has creeped me out more than once when it was listening and then began talking out of the blue. As a roommate, I would not agree to it, and it would be a major issue if a roommate insisted on having one.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Yes. I hate Alexa, and the device has creeped me out more than once when it was listening and then began talking out of the blue. As a roommate, I would not agree to it, and it would be a major issue if a roommate insisted on having one.

Same. If it’s just for music, I’d recommend a Bluetooth speaker. Unless her roommate doesn’t care. 

• Like 1

A bluetooth speaker and the Amazon music app on her phone might be a better/safer option, if that's the primary reason she would take it, unless she has our own room in her dorm. I'd be very uncomfortable leaving our Alexa around an unsupervised, unknown roommate.  (our music-loving kid just put Spotify and such on his laptop and streamed music that way, or now he does the phone/speaker thing; it works really well). 

• Like 1