Menu

Math moving from integrated to traditional

Here I have another question about bringing my son home from PS. I graduated one homeschool student last year, but pulling a kid out of the public school to play catch up at home makes me feel like a newbie all over again 

I am trying to figure out what to do for him this year for math. I am comfortable enough with math to guide him through a curriculum, but not to design my own

He took Alg 1 in grade 8 at home using Saxon. He went to PS in 9th grade where he took integrated math 2 , which was a shortened year due to the pandemic. He took integrated math 3 in 10th, which he barely passed and will be at home for his 11th and 12th grade year. 

when he was in middle school, I would have said he was good at math, but now he has zero confidence in his abilities.  

I want him to be prepared to do well on the SAT/ ACT, and it would be a nice bonus if he began to enjoy math again

on my homeschool shelf I have Saxon Alg 2, Advanced Mathmatics, Jacobs Geometry and Math U See precalculus, and I do have the budget to purchase something else  He has expressed interest in redoing Geometry

His transcript should reflect progress since he has passed all his math courses, but he needs remediation. 

any math folks that can help me sort this out?

Well, there is no textbook for me to review with him to see exactly where things went wrong.  I do have his grades for each unit, which were averaged for his final grade.

he failed the following units with a combo of mildly confused/ didn’t turn in assignments; functions, polynomials, rational functions, rational exponents, right triangles and constructions.

he passed units on coordinate geometry, circles, logs and exponents and probability.

by some miracle, he managed to get a C on the final to pass the class.

My recommendation would be to start him on something I have on my shelf. I personally dislike Saxon, but if that worked for him, I'd toss him into Saxon Alg 2, going as quickly or slowly as he is comfortable with.

I'd worry about the transcript later.

If he has time, I'd do math twice per day -- doing Saxon Alg 2 in the morning & Jacob's Geometry in the afternoon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toska said:

Well, there is no textbook for me to review with him to see exactly where things went wrong.  I do have his grades for each unit, which were averaged for his final grade.

he failed the following units with a combo of mildly confused/ didn’t turn in assignments; functions, polynomials, rational functions, rational exponents, right triangles and constructions.

he passed units on coordinate geometry, circles, logs and exponents and probability.

by some miracle, he managed to get a C on the final to pass the class.

Can you use the final to figure out where he's having issues?