Menu

What new back-to-school things are you getting?

I usually do a fun goody bag of things for the kids, but we need NOTHING! Not pens, pencils, planners, or anything!
***I need some fresh ideas.*** Kids are 16, 13, and 10. My only current thought is a little pack of Pokémon cards and possibly a new pen each (even though we have a gazillion). 

• Like 1

food

small game (dice / cards / rings you need to untangle)

hand sanitizer (I know, I know!)

food

socks

keyring

sticker (like the bumper sticker ones that are for laptops / water bottles)

food

a small plant / seeds

drink mixes (like that go with water in a water bottle, non-alcoholic LOL)

little note cards that THEY can write to other people

food

• Like 5

We set up a “Digital Literacy Corner” -  a workstation outfitted with a PC & headset. DS8 will be learning to type, taking his first online class, & hopefully getting back into coding. 

Aside from that there isn’t much we need: Fresh dry-erase markers. Glue sticks. Double-sided tape. Post-it notes. Printer paper. Two poster boards to reinforce an interactive wall hanging we’ll work on throughout the year. One 3” binder for record keeping. 

Edited by Shoes+Ships+SealingWax
  • Like 2

I am thinking of getting a Kindle paperwhite. I have a Fire tablet, but I don't like reading on it and neither does DS13. Maybe a paperwhite will be "just the thing". 

The only other thing I am getting is a planner to start teaching DS13 how to manage assignments and time. We are otherwise stocked up on supplies; I am actually giving a bunch of things away because we won't use them. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

Not a lot - like others, we mostly have all the things already ;).  Got a new planner for middle and oldest, and a new wall calendar for me.  Need to get new Expo markers, because we go through ours ridiculously fast <sigh>.

8 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I am thinking of getting a Kindle paperwhite. I have a Fire tablet, but I don't like reading on it and neither does DS13. Maybe a paperwhite will be "just the thing".

I got a paperwhite last Black Friday, and I love it.  While I don't mind reading on my tablet, I wanted to use it less - less staring at a backlit screen, less distraction from the internet.  And it has worked out really well - three-quarters of what I read can go easily on the Kindle, and it's easier on both my eyes and hands (tablet got heavy after a while).  And it fits well in my purse, much less obtrusive than the tablet - it's easy to take with me.  Now I just use the tablet for pdfs.  (In theory you can have Amazon convert pdfs to kindle files; for simple files it works well, but if the file has boxes or pull-out quotes or footnotes or such, it doesn't convert well, or didn't when I last tried several years ago.)

I don't use it for school, though, because most of my school files are pdfs and display nicer on the tablet.  Kids do read school-related ebooks on our old kindles, though. 

• Like 2

Gum, personal hygiene items like lip balm, hair ties, body wash or lotion (a fun scent, or, I just bought my teen athlete a bottle of something that will hopefully be a destinkifier), a clip-on light so the can read in the dark, headphones, or sound-reducing headphones?  My mom used to get us a new outfit on the first day of school, but maybe for homeschoolers a new pair of PJs or a funny pillowcase or fuzzy socks, depending on how you do your work?  We also started the school year by buying no new school supplies - I buy in bulk and replace as needed.

And, I love my kindle paperwhite.  We don't use it for school because the kids prefer physical books.  I do, too, for many things - I can't teach from a kindle, so any book I use for class involves a physical copy - but for pleasure books I love having something that can hold multiple books and be tossed in even a small bag.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MissLemon said:

The only other thing I am getting is a planner to start teaching DS13 how to manage assignments and time. We are otherwise stocked up on supplies; I am actually giving a bunch of things away because we won't use them. 🤷‍♀️

I love my Paperwhite. I’ve had one for 5 years now, I think, and I’ve pretty much only read books on it nowadays.

• Like 1

Our kids all have different needs.

Everybody who doesn't have noise-canceling headphones is getting a new set of earbuds. They only last 6 months or so anyway, so everyone will have a backup pair.  Beyond that, one kid needs a snack stash. Another needs some hand fidgets.  My 12yodd is getting a Starbucks gift card because bonding time for her looks like a trip through drivethru and a drive while we talk (and she gets a break from her siblings).

Mostly, though, we are hanging at the beach every chance we get this summer. None of us want to even think about school after last year.

• Like 2

My kid has gotten a new shirt for the past couple of years.  They have funny things on them like:
I'm the reason my teacher drinks coffee

Just here for recess

Hardest worker in the room

This year he is not getting a new shirt, he's getting one that he has waited 6 years to grow into that belonged to his brother.  All it says on it is Bazinga! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I got the girls customized binders with their names. We had fun picking them out and designing them. I can't figure out how to link a page with all kinds of different options on it but here is an example of one that has some at the bottom..https://www.zazzle.com/beautiful_blue_watercolor_3_ring_binder-127699368642788438

Edited by 8filltheheart
  • Like 4

I ended up wandering the aisles of a couple of stores and came up with:

mini Boogie Board pocket tablet

Cheap spinning top

favorite candy bar

Kinder Egg

small pack of Pokémon cards

Clip board for each (no sharing this year—yay!)

Keep sharing ideas though! I like seeing what you all do. @HomeAgainI’d love to do the shirt idea! I’m looking at your shirt examples and thinking which of the 3 kids would get each shirt and who wouldn’t like the choice I made 🤣

• Like 2

We needed nothing here either, just school curriculum here and there (very little of that either was needed.) So the day before we started school I took the girls out to lunch and to an outlet mall to spend bday money.  My teens each got a new pair of boots and socks and that was about it.  For my 7 yr old, who already got new shoes for the year, has plenty of clothes and underthings, and needs no new supplies, I didn't get any clothes. We also don't need crayons, pencils, binders, anything.  

What I ended up getting for "fun" was at Five Below.  I got a $5 set of erasers that dd7 was drooling over and a game called Puppy Yoga that my 17 and 7 year old both had fun with on our first day.  I also ordered Rummy Roots from Rainbow Resource that we will all play when it gets here. 

My dd7 was plenty happy for school to start with new schoolwork and new erasers and the Puppy game. 

• Like 3

You could give them each $5 (and whatever tax is) and take them to a dollar store, letting them pick out whatever they want. I'm debating this option as we need nothing as well. (but I love some of the other ideas given above, so, hmmmm, decisions, decisions....)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Blah. 

I am getting a new printer instead of a Paperwhite, because our old color inkjet died.  Not nearly as exciting as an e-reader, but oh well. 😕 

Well, that’s a bummer. Hope you can still get that paperwhite soon!

• Like 1

I apparently need a new printer....mine won't accept yellow cartridges, and won't print without a working cartridge in each slot, even in Black.  Sigh. 

My kid is starting college, but some of the more cool stuff we're sending includes a dragon stapler and staple remover, a chameleon tape dispenser, and pens with little dinosaurs on them 🙂

• Like 3

For the homeschool co-op class I'm teaching, I splurged and got actual 3-ring binders for the class material that I provide. We're doing a Lord of the Rings-based Literature class, so I printed a map of Middle-earth and slid it into the front plastic cover. Students were so excited, that I am splurging some more and getting some Lord of the Rings stickers (water bottle-sized) for them to personalize their binders!

🧙‍♂️

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 5

On 8/8/2021 at 3:24 PM, mmasc said:

I usually do a fun goody bag of things for the kids, but we need NOTHING! Not pens, pencils, planners, or anything!
***I need some fresh ideas.*** Kids are 16, 13, and 10...
...I ended up wandering the aisles of a couple of stores and came up with...
...Keep sharing ideas though!

A few more random ideas -- several are NOT inexpensive, but are "building for the future" types of items...

- a nice desk stapler and tape dispenser for each
- a family board game (that requires strategy thinking and logic)
- bento boxes for lunches (fun for now, and useful in the future when they need a packed lunch to go somewhere)
- fun edible snack
- post-it notes for marking book pages
- laptop skin or decals
- new set of markers and a Dover stained glass coloring book (for when they need a short "brain break" during the school day)
- a "fidget" toy (mini metal slinkieswacky trackswire transforming basket toy, and good quality interlocking metal puzzle were favorites here)
- a small stuffed animal or beanie "cuddle buddy" to sit on a shoulder while studying

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2