Menu

I'm giving my girls their own rooms!

AUGHHH! I swore I'd never do this. I'm afraid they won't be friends - I know, totally weird, but that's how I feel. But, I see my oldest's need to be her own person, and I think it would help with discipline issues. My husband is begrudgingly allowing this as an "experiment." This means he's watching for it to fail. So, any moral support would be greatly appreciated!

Blessings!

AUGHHH! I swore I'd never do this. I'm afraid they won't be friends - I know, totally weird, but that's how I feel. But, I see my oldest's need to be her own person, and I think it would help with discipline issues. My husband is begrudgingly allowing this as an "experiment." This means he's watching for it to fail. So, any moral support would be greatly appreciated!

Blessings!

I think it's wonderful that you have the space to give them each their own rooms. My oldest is 7 and she has been asking for her own room for the last several months. We don't have the space to give her her own room so she must continue sharing until I can convince dh to buy us a bigger house. Since you have the space, I say go for it! I had my own room when I was growing up and I loved it.

My sister and I shared until I was eight. I have sort of painful memories of it. We are both introverts and both need a lot of time alone.

I have such pleasant memories of being a teenager and have my own room. I loved to lie in bed and read without anyone bothering me. I loved my room. I'm close to my parents, too, and said sister does not live here in town with us, but we are much closer now then we were as children.

I think sharing is fine. My kids share a room and will for a while longer. But don't feel like something has failed if you give your girls their own rooms. If you have the extra room, I think it's great you are flexible in your thinking and will accommodate what they perceive as needs.

Having their own rooms is a great idea, and if you have the room and they want it, why not.

Mine were together til 9 and 11, they wanted it that way. But in new house, they decorated their own rooms and love their new spaces. They dont spend a bunch of time in there on their own, but its coming.

I had to share a room with my sister until I went to college! We were one year apart - and it was difficult!!

I imagine you'll see a big difference between your girls. They will also probably start welcoming one another into each other's rooms. I can understand how it can be difficult for a 9 yo to share a room with a 6 yo.

When we moved to GA we gave each of our children their own rooms. So far its worked out nice.

I think you'll be pleased!

My sister and I shared a room until I moved out, and loathed each other. A few years later, she moved in with me. Funnily enough, we got along a lot better sharing a house than a room. Sharing rooms is more likely to cause relationship problems than cure them, and I don't think there is much you can do to make siblings be friends. You can make them be nice to each other, but they are their own people and sometimes that means they won't match each other. My brother and I are friends, my sister and I, while we speak to each other, aren't. We're just too different.

If you've got space for seperate rooms and they want seperate rooms, goodo!

:)

Rosie

Some kids need their space more than others. My oldest has had her own room since she was born. Partly because there are 4 years between her and our next oldest child, and she never really got over having so many siblings, but partly because that is her temperament. She is very much an introvert and needed a lot of recoup time away from the rest of the bunch. When she moved out we debated what to do with her room because we had our 14 and 12 sharing one room and our 9 and 7 sharing the other with our 3yo all set up with his toddler bed and toychest in our master bedroom closet. Weird, but it worked for him :D Meanwhile, as we were talking back and forth, the 12yo quietly began sleeping in her older sister's cleared-out space. Before I knew it, she had begun moving clothes and posters in there, LOL. So now our 14yo shares with the 9yo (both neat, both extroverts) and the 3yo is sleeping in the room with his 7yo sister. Except for naps. Those he still takes in the closet :D

All this to explain my first sentence. Some kids just need their quiet space more than others do.

Barb

Thanks guys! You made me feel better, and Rosie, your post was exactly right. I've always known I had two very different children, but as my 9 yr old gets older, the differences are HUGE. And, as others have mentioned, my oldest is a little bit of an introvert and is starting to really need her space. So, we started the transition and everything was great until lights out. About 1/2 hour after bedtime, my oldest was pretty much asleep and we heard my youngest crying. She was trying so hard to be a "big girl," but she missed her sister and "doesn't like this." So, her big sister said she could sleep on the floor of her room if she didn't talk and went right to sleep. So now they're both crammed in the smaller room and the big room is empty:lol: Tomorrow, I'm going to help my youngest get her room in order, and I think some fun wall decorations are going to be in order to help her out. Maybe some fun lights or something. Poor kid. I guess that should be my next thread. How do I get my youngest to sleep in her own room and leave her sister alone:lol:.

Blessings!

I remember when I finally got my own room when I was 12 and I LOVED it. My kids do not get the same luxury. With 4 kids in a 3 bdrm they double up, actually my oldest 2 had their own rooms for a long time, then when ds turned 3 I moved him in with big brother, and dd will do the same with my big dd who still has her own room for the time being.