Menu

Grammar recomendations

I am after recommendations for  a grammar workbook at grade 1 to  2 level . This is for my twins with multiple disabilities. I am after something like Abeka, 

it takes a long long time for a very small amount of progress We just go sideways instead of up levels. We are half way throughAbeka 2 and it is now too difficult so we need to move sideways again. We have already done language smart, first language lessons 1  and 2, Abeka 1 and Abeak phonics and selected pages from the good and the beautiful.

I am after a write in workbook style . If it is an ebook so much better as I can combine other things as I print it out and make mini workbooks only 20 pages long. The boys need to feel like they are finishing and progressing even though they are just moving sideways.

we do reading  and spelling separately  . Spelling is using a combination of AAS and spellyousee Reading is a combination of AAR and Fitzroy readers (an Australian program) they already have extensive speech pathology weekly. We also do explode the code  and several apps like teach monster to read and reading eggs

thank you for all suggestions

Edited by Melissa in Australia

Not sure about availability in Australia, but I wish I had known about Voyages in English a few years ago.  

To see some sample pages:

https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/068322/Voyages-in-English-2018-Grade-1-Student.html?

Evan Moor Language Fundamentals is also a good resource, if available.  They preview all of their pages online, so you can see the fit. We're rather thoroughly doing the Grade 3 of this as well. Available as an e-book.

https://www.evan-moor.com/language-fundamentals-grade-1-teacher-reproducibles-print

• Thanks 1

I've been using this series Evan Moor Language Fundamentals http://www.e4thai.com/e4e/images/pdf2/language_fundamentals/LgFdm2.pdf  with my ds successfully. The version I'm linking is a bit older, oop, and you should be able to find gr2-6 at that site by snooping.

Fwiw, we did extensive speech therapy materials first. You might like the Grammar Games from ProEdInc https://www.proedinc.com/Products/31025/50-quickplay-grammar-games.aspx  or their Spotlight Series. The SPARC series and the HELP series were also instrumental in getting him moving forward. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Thanks 1

thank you both so much. I am currently printing out the Evan Moor grade 1 . It will be prefect. we will move onto the grade 2 one once we finish. Very happy

thank you so much

the Voyages in English looks very good but shipping to Australia is way too much. I did however print out some freebees from their website 🙂

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mrskitty76 said:

Hi Melissa,

The Rod & Staff curriculum for English is very good.

Kat

thank you Kat

Yes I used it with my older children. I have most of the Rod and Staff English sitting on my bookshelf . However the twins are not at a stage that they can write out a sentence, let alone write out lessons from a text book. Rod and Staff would need extensive me writing out everything extensive oral teaching and scaffolding.  I need a write in book format for them. 

one day we may progress to Rod and Staff but we are not there yet. My twins have multiple disabilities including Intellectual disabilities 

thank you for the suggestion

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

We did the first page of Even Moor grade 1 today. it was a hit. they loved it. 

thank you for the recommendation 

Yay, that's super exciting!!! 

Since they liked that, maybe in a year or two (or three, haha) they'd like this https://www.creativeteaching.com/search?type=product&q=power+practice  It's not free, but the ebooks are pretty low cost. I am trying some of their science this year (and math and language arts) to see if we can work on using the *vocabulary* of science. My ds writes minimally also, but if something has a word bank he'll draw lines. It's always a challenge to find independent work for my ds, so I picked some things also to try at a low level to see if he could do them independently. We'll see what happens. It was a publisher I hadn't used before and their Power Practice series seems like a winner. 

Have you ever done a google site search? You use your terms and add "site:nameofsite.com" So if you were to search say "publisher name pdf site:...." and put in a site name like weebly (where teachers often have websites for their classes) you might find pdfs of workbooks. Scholastic tends to be dry, but you might find random things that are useful. I also like Carson Dellosa, Evan Moor, Teacher Created Resources, and Teacher Created Materials. There's a LOT right now floating around the web because of covid. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

one day we may progress to Rod and Staff but we are not there yet. 

You might never need it. I'm finding that the speech therapy materials we've been using take us solidly through a 6th gr level without a problem. They seem to go in spurts, taking you to a 3rd grade (ish) level and then making that next leap as the syntax comes in. I find intervention specific materials are always a better starting point instructionally with my ds. Then when he's sorta there, then we can apply it and broaden it with some traditional materials. But fun is better, brief is better, minimal on the page is better, scribing/light marking (highlighter, circling, proofreading marks) is better. 

It's actually sort of surreal to watch and realize kids can do so well WITHOUT the torture of years of repetition in curriculum. There's a level of busy work, fine motor, etc. there our kids can't handle but they get to the content without all that. It's sort of living in a different world, and it's OK. 

Like spelling. Oh my lands, I spent SO many hours trying to teach dd spelling. With ds, granted he's not much of a speller, but I was wanting to see the *interest*, the opening, the readiness. Now he goes around talking about spelling and asking me if he's spelling words correctly! How adorable. 

So I'm not sure everything has to be done the same way. We major on what is really important and we let be minor or slack a bit what is less important. Mental health (emotional stability, self awareness, self advocacy) is most important every day of the week. The rest is just kinda whatever.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PeterPan said:

You might never need it. I'm finding that the speech therapy materials we've been using take us solidly through a 6th gr level without a problem. They seem to go in spurts, taking you to a 3rd grade (ish) level and then making that next leap as the syntax comes in. I find intervention specific materials are always a better starting point instructionally with my ds. Then when he's sorta there, then we can apply it and broaden it with some traditional materials. But fun is better, brief is better, minimal on the page is better, scribing/light marking (highlighter, circling, proofreading marks) is better. 

So I'm not sure everything has to be done the same way. We major on what is really important and we let be minor or slack a bit what is less important. Mental health (emotional stability, self awareness, self advocacy) is most important every day of the week. The rest is just kinda whatever.

This exactly

thank you. So nice to hear . You are such a source of wisdom and inspiration to me. You really understand.

we are working towards having some kind of functional  basic reading and writing. To eventually being able to live in some sort of semi supported living arrangement and possible being able to do some sort of supported work. ..... 

completely different to the goal of my other children. Completely 

• Like 1

Wanted to mention that Spectrum Language Arts is a good resource to consider, if you end up needing other at grade level options.  (I have a different level that we're just about to start, and we've done Grade 3 Spectrum phonics thoroughly.) Pages have color, illustrations.  If challenging at grade level, you could try the level below.  Grade 1 might be appropriate.  

https://www.amazon.com.au/Spectrum-Language-Arts-Grade-1/dp/1483812057

• Thanks 1

We did CLE last year and my kids got super board with it after awhile. We started Beowulf’s grammar by Guest Hollow and so far it’s been a hit. It’s more hands on project with cutting and glueing and work sheets. The teachers book also has extra little tips on how to bring up the concepts in everyday life. 

• Thanks 1