Menu

Spelling You See Placement / Starting in the Middle

maptime

We're heading into our 7th year of homeschooling, and while normally I've spent the summer obsessively researching and planning our next school year, this year I haven't been feeling it.  But I'm staring down the barrel of another school year starting in just a couple of weeks, and I need to figure out spelling for DS10.

My rising 5th grader has completed AAS 1-4 and most of 5.    I want to move to something more independent next year, as Mom Time is already maxed out with other subjects (and siblings :-)).  Would Spelling You See work for this?  Can you start in the middle, or do you need to start from the beginning (likely a deal-breaker, lol).  I looked online and found a lot of info about developmental stages, but no clarity on which level to put him.  Any placement tips?  I'd say he's an average speller for his grade. 

Thanks in advance for any input 🙂

I wouldn't say that SUS is an independent program.  There's 5 lessons a week.  The first 3 days can be independent, but then on days 4 and 5, it's dictation.  At least for level D.

Sorry, don't know if you can just start in the middle.  We did, if that helps.  But sometimes I wonder if we are missing something.  For example, for the word 'married', he underlined the rr and the ie.  but the correct way was to underline the ar and ie.  I had to give him a reason for this.  If I am correct or not, not sure. 

I would imagine if you done 5 levels of AAS, that it would be fine though.  I hope you find a more definite answer. 

1 hour ago, desertflower said:

I wouldn't say that SUS is an independent program.  There's 5 lessons a week.  The first 3 days can be independent, but then on days 4 and 5, it's dictation.  At least for level D.

Sorry, don't know if you can just start in the middle.  We did, if that helps.  But sometimes I wonder if we are missing something.  For example, for the word 'married', he underlined the rr and the ie.  but the correct way was to underline the ar and ie.  I had to give him a reason for this.  If I am correct or not, not sure. 

I would imagine if you done 5 levels of AAS, that it would be fine though.  I hope you find a more definite answer. 

This is helpful, thank you!