Menu

Isolating DH…need ideas

sangtarah

DH is in FL. He flies home tomorrow night and wants to isolate for several days. All who are eligible here are vaccinated (4 of us), but our 2 youngest aren’t. 

Our options are to hole him up in the basement bedroom with no window, have him wear a mask when he comes out to use that bathroom. (We have our schoolroom down there.) Or we could put him in the master bedroom, except kids always sleep in there with me - so that displaces 3 people. His home “office” is our dining room. I’m not sure how to keep him out of there if he sleeps in the basement - he doesn’t want to be without sunshine for that long. I could move his “office” to the bedroom. 

Is it good enough if he sleeps in the basement, wears a mask around the house, uses that bathroom? What about when we are down there for school? It’s going to be over 100 degrees here the next several days, so leaving the windows open will be hard. 

I really would like to keep my bed, LOL. 

• Like 1

I asked this question about a month ago about traveling spouses because dh started traveling.  We have had dh do some different things some extreme.  But I think in the last month we have just realized that keeping Covid out of our house is probably a losing fight.  It is so hard to really keep someone isolated on the regular.  Dh went on 3 trips in July with a really strict isolation when coming home.  It is just to much.  It takes away yet even more family time and is hard for him too.  Even constant mask wearing at the house is hard to do that much.

So we are going to rely more on testing.  We have free easy testing here (currently hopefully it doesn't get as bad as FL).  He might mask when around the whole family, but he works in our bedroom so if he has his mask off during the day it doesn't really accomplish much.  He will sleep in a different spot, but I don't really see how much of it is going to matter all that much in our situation.

I would put him in the basement bedroom.  Mask when coming out for bathroom.  Can he not work in the basement bedroom?

Or you and the kids go to the basement bedroom and he goes to your bedroom and works there too.

I would have him test often.

Do you have air purifiers?  Fans?

• Like 1

Oh, and rather than actually fully opening windows, just crack a window in masterbedroom, if he's staying in there to work/sleep, and have a fan blowing air out of it, to create negative air flow? Doesn't have to be much. Just trying to keep it from going back into the air intake. Or just keep a small air purifier near him. My kids have a tabletop Hepa filter that works pretty well from what I can tell. 

8 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Can he work and stay in the master bedroom/bathroom, and you and the kids sleep in the basement bedroom?

The basement room has a camping mattress in it...we put the "good" mattress in our trailer, LOL. I don't think we would all fit, the room is quite small. 

I could give him the master bedroom. It just puts a lot of inconvenience on the rest of us. 

I think we may keep him in the basement, put an air filter down there, mask in the house, test him with the Binax every day, and see how it goes? 

5 minutes ago, sangtarah said:

The basement room has a camping mattress in it...we put the "good" mattress in our trailer, LOL. I don't think we would all fit, the room is quite small. 

I could give him the master bedroom. It just puts a lot of inconvenience on the rest of us. 

I think we may keep him in the basement, put an air filter down there, mask in the house, test him with the Binax every day, and see how it goes? 

Can he just be in the trailer?

• Like 1

We got through the first 5 days with daily negative over-the-counter tests. DH started sniffling today (day 6), but “it’s just allergies”, so doesn’t want to test again (I think we are out). It is oppressively hot here, and allergies are bad, so I’m hoping that’s all it is! He moved back upstairs yesterday, so if it isn’t allergies, it’s too late. 

• Like 1