Menu

Jokes & memes

Katy

5 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

My mom used to tell me it was illegal to drive in flip flops but I knew that was just a thing she said because she hated flip flops and thought they were dangerous to wear.

My DH has lots of "I stitched up someone who was wearing flip flops while..." stories, lol! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kbutton said:

May be an image of text that says 'there are 8 layers to RA goodbye: "About to leave" warning .A "We've gotta get going statement .Hugs •Walking to the driveway •One more conversation in the driveway More hugs Talking while everyone's piling in the car .Rolling down the window to say bye one last time as you pull out of the driveway and someone yells, "Watch for deer."'

In the comments, someone added, "Call and let us know when you get home." So true. Any other states where this is spot on?

NC! The above sums up most of my goodbyes. The local (suburban) ones don't have the "watch for deer," but all the goodbyes from my rural (back home) visits do. 

Eta: ah, I see this was originally a "southern goodbye". Very accurate.  

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

NC! The above sums up most of my goodbyes. The local (suburban) ones don't have the "watch for deer," but all the goodbyes from my rural (back home) visits do. 

NC. Absolutely. Spot on. When you’re an introvert, this is most excruciatingly painful, especially if you are somewhere you didn’t really want to be in the first place. And if your husband is a social butterfly who doesn’t mind going through this process, you feel totally powerless to be able to just up and leave when you feel you want to or, worse, actually NEED to! You learn to give hints that it’s time to go up to an hour ahead of time so you can leave at the time you thought you would originally be leaving. 

And it’s not that I didn’t enjoy the visit (in most cases), it’s just dragging out the leaving process with so much chit chat and small talk when you’re at the point you just want to go home.

Joys of being introverted. I hate to admit that the suffocating feeling of not having control of when I can just get up and go home sometimes makes me not go at all. 😕

13 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Here it would be look out for Roos.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

NC. Absolutely. Spot on. When you’re an introvert, this is most excruciatingly painful, especially if you are somewhere you didn’t really want to be in the first place. And if your husband is a social butterfly who doesn’t mind going through this process, you feel totally powerless to be able to just up and leave when you feel you want to or, worse, actually NEED to! You learn to give hints that it’s time to go up to an hour ahead of time so you can leave at the time you thought you would originally be leaving. 

And it’s not that I didn’t enjoy the visit (in most cases), it’s just dragging out the leaving process with so much chit chat and small talk when you’re at the point you just want to go home.

Joys of being introverted. I hate to admit that the suffocating feeling of not having control of when I can just get up and go home sometimes makes me not go at all. 😕

See, I grew up with the long goodbye and now live in a state where people just get up and leave without warning. DH and I (and DH grew up in a very different state from me) were so baffled at first--did we do something wrong? Do we smell funny? We still don't ever have any idea of when the magic "it's time to go" thing will erupt if we have company. 

We're both introverts, but we're the type to enjoy a good visit and then just crash later instead of feeling stressed if it goes too long.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kbutton said:

See, I grew up with the long goodbye and now live in a state where people just get up and leave without warning. DH and I (and DH grew up in a very different state from me) were so baffled at first--did we do something wrong? Do we smell funny? We still don't ever have any idea of when the magic "it's time to go" thing will erupt if we have company. 

We're both introverts, but we're the type to enjoy a good visit and then just crash later instead of feeling stressed if it goes too long.

Lol. We have the occasional “ones who just disappear”, too. I’m always like, where did so and so go? They were just here…and just like that…poof they’re gone.🤣 But they are outliers.  It’s funny how it’s so different in different places. 

I’ve  been in the “inching out of the driveway phase” before and I’ll start thinking…almost….there….just start backing out ….just a few feet more…come on…😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Indigo Blue said:

Lol. We have the occasional “ones who just disappear”, too. I’m always like, where did so and so go? They were just here…and just like that…poof they’re gone.🤣 But they are outliers.  It’s funny how it’s so different in different places. 

It seems to be the norm here, and it's disconcerting--do I trigger a shorter or longer stay by when I serve dessert after dinner, etc.? It's a mystery.

Thankfully we have a few friends that are not like this, but they are not the norm here either. 

• Like 1

At my moms there is:

Ok, time to get ready to go!

15 minutes spent tracking down shoes, dolls, games, swim goggles, etc.

My mom then pushing more sugar on the kids

Another "it's time to get ready to go" announcement

Long conversation started by my mom while pulling out more food

Me giving up and loading the van

Me telling people to use the bathroom

Me just taking the food my mom put out and putting it away

Insisting no, we don't want coffee for the road (because we dislike the coffee their water makes and are going to hit starbucks on the way to the highway)

Me announcing it again

15 minutes of figuring out who is using which bathroom first

Eventually getting outside

Standing outside saying good bye

Realizing we are missing a kid (never the same one twice)

Find kid in a bathroom. Wait for them. Announce 5 times that you found them. 

Now I have to use the bathroom again. 

Get in car, talk through the window

Drive the WRONG WAY so that we can wave to my parents going towards the cul de sac then wave again on the way back past their house before we actually are gone. (not lying, it is a "rule" we go the "long way" around the cul de sac so we can wave twice. 

get text message or phone call 5 minutes later to talk

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

At my moms there is:

Insisting no, we don't want coffee for the road (because we dislike the coffee their water makes and are going to hit starbucks on the way to the highway)

Me announcing it again

Drive the WRONG WAY so that we can wave to my parents going towards the cul de sac then wave again on the way back past their house before we actually are gone. (not lying, it is a "rule" we go the "long way" around the cul de sac so we can wave twice. 

You should just go to the bathroom at Starbucks. . .

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, happi duck said:

I've seen the long goodbye claimed by many groups!  "Dutch" goodbye etc.  It feels like the actual norm but everyone thinks their group is the exception.

I should set up a poll. It's not common where I live now, and it's something that "outsiders" who came to visit where I grew up often found odd. The watch for deer part was sometimes utterly baffling to people from elsewhere. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ktgrok said:

At my moms there is:

Me announcing it again

This gives me the warm fuzzies. 💕☺️
This is how I expect every one of my children to leave the house every time.  When they don’t, I think something is wrong and my feelings are hurt. And I don’t even have grandchildren yet.

One commented last time I left their house, “What the hell? You just getting up and just leaving? No second good-bye or 5th I love you or awkward too long last hug?! Are you pissed off at me or something?!”

No. I was in a hurry to grab a coffee before the coffee place closed on our way out of town. 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

This gives me the warm fuzzies. 💕☺️
This is how I expect every one of my children to leave the house every time.  When they don’t, I think something is wrong and my feelings are hurt. And I don’t even have grandchildren yet.

One commented last time I left their house, “What the hell? You just getting up and just leaving? No second good-bye or 5th I love you or awkward too long last hug?! Are you pissed off at me or something?!”

No. I was in a hurry to grab a coffee before the coffee place closed on our way out of town. 😂

Ok, that's so funny! Because yes, if the coffee place was going to close that would be the only way we might get out faster! (although there is a gas station that actually has pretty good coffee on the way out too, which is where we went until the Starbucks opened recently, and the gas station is 24/7 so I guess that won't happen)