Menu

Jokes & memes

Katy

45 minutes ago, frogger said:

Actually, most of these arguments were made back then. I'd say the big difference is masks help other people rather than mostly yourself. Although, your flying body could smash someone I guess.

I know, I know it's the joke/meme thread but I can't help but throw that out there.

Whenever someone brings up "we have to wear shoes and a shirt to go in a store", I remember (yes, I'm that old) when they first started the No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service stuff.  People were very very upset by it, particularly down at the Jersey shore.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Though, to be clear, the health department where you live doesn't care if you wear shoes OR a shirt to the store. You can write to them and ask. The store is allowed to set its own policy, but the health department could not care less.

You sent me on a rabbit trail. Did you know that there is a Barefooters.org?  According to the research they have done, my state department of health does have requirements for shoes in restaurants and stores- but only for employees. Now you know!  (I didn't go on the shirt rabbit trail. ). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

You sent me on a rabbit trail. Did you know that there is a Barefooters.org?  According to the research they have done, my state department of health does have requirements for shoes in restaurants and stores- but only for employees. Now you know!  (I didn't go on the shirt rabbit trail. ). 

I'll have to check that out for fun, lol. I grew up mostly barefoot, other than school and stores. And often forgot to bring shoes and ended up in many a store barefoot. I remember there was a rumor about shoes being required for driving, but I never believed it. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I remember there was a rumor about shoes being required for driving, but I never believed it. 

My Driver's Ed teacher (back in the dark ages) told us that we should drive barefooted because it was safer than driving with heels or sandals 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I'll have to check that out for fun, lol. I grew up mostly barefoot, other than school and stores. And often forgot to bring shoes and ended up in many a store barefoot. I remember there was a rumor about shoes being required for driving, but I never believed it. 

What? My parents never let me go barefoot because I’d get ringworm or ground itch or other parasites I can never remember.  And anthrax.  I was told it’s too dangerous to go barefoot in Florida because the ground doesn’t freeze so stuff in the soil doesn’t get killed every year. 

Now I’m questioning if the real issue was they didn’t want the extra doctor visit or to hear me complain about itchy feet. I can’t believe I never thought about this before. 

4 hours ago, Katy said:

What? My parents never let me go barefoot because I’d get ringworm or ground itch or other parasites I can never remember.  And anthrax.  I was told it’s too dangerous to go barefoot in Florida because the ground doesn’t freeze so stuff in the soil doesn’t get killed every year. 

Now I’m questioning if the real issue was they didn’t want the extra doctor visit or to hear me complain about itchy feet. I can’t believe I never thought about this before. 

Hookworm.  It's made a comeback in some southern states.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tenaj said:

My Driver's Ed teacher (back in the dark ages) told us that we should drive barefooted because it was safer than driving with heels or sandals 

That was my argument! I feel vindicated!

5 hours ago, Katy said:

Well, they were probably right, lol. I mean, I never got any worms that I know of, but it CAN happen. Hookworms are the ones that can crawl through the skin. Although to be fair, my feet were so callused from barefoot on hot pavement that it seems unlikely anything would get through. (can also happen from bare leg skin sitting on the ground, for that matter)

Round worms are also zoonotic, but you need to ingest them - eating with dirty hands or biting finger nails. They are much more serious. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I did, in fact, know about barefooters.org. The fact that the health department doesn't give a darn about your bare feet in stores is one of the many things as a child that taught me my One Essential Rule of Life: The more people say a thing without any form of proper citation, the more likely it is to be utter garbage.

YES, it is legal to have a signature that is not cursive. YES, it is legal to go into a store barefoot (though the store owner can set a rule against it). YES, it is legal to drive barefoot (though I take no stand over whether or not that's a good idea).

Over the years I've seen people confidently assert that people were "jaywalking" when close examination of the evidence shows that they were crossing legally (nobody knows the laws for pedestrians, it seems), that certain words were defined in the dictionary a certain way when they weren't (the most common one here is "marriage", but non-political ones pop up too), that various studies show the exact opposite of what they actually show, that names have fallen out of fashion during a time period when they actually became more popular (the name Katrina got a slight bump after the hurricane) or that they fell because of an association with particular people (it's true that the name Adolf dropped out of use in the USA after WWII... but it had already been in steep decline ever since the height of German immigration tailed off, along with all the other German-origin names, a pattern that long precedes the war) and all sorts of other little bits of received wisdom that, when you look at it closely, nobody can actually tell you where they got it from.

Most recently, we all learned that the "six feet distance for disease spread" number was garbage, based on a lot of outdated science and the conflation of two entirely different data points into one totally useless and false metric.

So I sorta feel strongly about this one, lol! It's not about the shoes per se, it's about the fact that a lot of people rather uncritically pass around falsehoods without any thought whatsoever.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

that various studies show the exact opposite of what they actually show

If you mean that various studies show the exact opposite of what people expect they show - that was our first lecture in psychology at university! The guy (actually, he was an American) listed a whole lot of studies which found the exact opposite of what 'common sense' suggested would be the outcome. His point was that studies and research are important, because of all the assumptions we make.

On the other hand, you might mean that studies are reported to show that medicine X fixes disorder Y, when the study shows the exact opposite - yes, I've seen that too. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cintinative said:

Truly inaccurate (for me at least) but funny:

image.png.d95b92fb8b9017428eec032c1ac49304.png

I will send this to 2dd (chemistry, with a bio minor) and 1ds. (engineering).

hard to choose who was more daring . . . . neither could have been described as risk averse . . . . .  maybe 2dd.  she climbed everything, but she was sure of her handhold before moving.  1ds - fell 18' from a tree when the branch broke . . . . 

eta: actually - I have a niece currently working on a MS in Environmental Science - to "save the planet".

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I just texted this to my older son (engineering). He just responded, “Accurate.” 🤣🤣Lol. My younger son hasn’t responded. I love this one.

Younger son (also engineering) just replied, “Yes, accurate.”

I hope you believe me, lol! I texted them each separately, too. So funny. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

This hilariously just happened at our house. DD14 gets to pick a fast food dinner once a week. Tonight she chose Panda Express. I love fortune cookies so always ask for extra 😎 ....our dog loves fortune cookies too 🥰, so she also gets one.🥠 Tonight, this was our dogs fortune

64455863-DA40-4531-A4ED-BAFBF762A114.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 20

35 minutes ago, kbutton said:

When my kids were toddlers, I would tell them how long a car ride was going to be in popular PBS kid show increments. 

In the UK, large areas - other countries or states - are always compared to the size of Wales. Maybe because it's conveniently  roughly rectangular. 

• Like 4