Katy

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

image.thumb.png.6504e281617ae10abd344d0b50ad9635.png

Can't help but think this is part of what created the division between middle grades fiction and young adult fiction, lol. Like, someone eventually realized that 11 year old kids reading a book glorifying incest was a bit weird?

Truth. I was one of those kids. And I got them from the elementary SCHOOL library.  Who approved even putting those there for us kids?!  Part of why I’m like yeaaaah, don’t much care about schools having Mark Twain copies that aren’t updated for modern sensibilities, bc seriously I’m more worried about the VC Andrews type crap on the school shelf. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

image.thumb.png.6504e281617ae10abd344d0b50ad9635.png

Can't help but think this is part of what created the division between middle grades fiction and young adult fiction, lol. Like, someone eventually realized that 11 year old kids reading a book glorifying incest was a bit weird?

They were in the adult section of our public library. I didn’t read them as a kid, but yeah, every other girl in 7th and 8th grade choir devoured them.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Terabith said:

They were in the adult section of our public library. I didn’t read them as a kid, but yeah, every other girl in 7th and 8th grade choir devoured them.  

Yep, I remember when everyone read them. I didn’t, and don’t know the story.

Interview with the Vampire, though! Yep!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

Yep, I remember when everyone read them. I didn’t, and don’t know the story.

Interview with the Vampire, though! Yep!

Be glad, they require brain bleach.  I read the first two when they were going around - I have no idea how or why; I think they were lying about in someone's house, and I picked up a bunch of books that way (usually ones I wonder later why the heck I read).

Interview with the Vampire I didn't read till I was an adult, at least...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

It was the Clan of the Cave Bear crap for me...and my aunt caught me reading them and was concerned... my parents never read them so they didn't realize what I was in for but my aunt did! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

It was the Clan of the Cave Bear crap for me...and my aunt caught me reading them and was concerned... my parents never read them so they didn't realize what I was in for but my aunt did! 

A few years ago I was looking at Build Your Library, and one of the thinks that put me off was Clan of The Cave Bear being included in it.  I didn't care of my kid read it at 14, but I drew the line at having a school discussion about it during that awkward age. 😄

• Haha 1

You had kids in your school that read?!?! Lucky!! Only about 50% of the kids in my middle and high schools even read the assigned reading.  And reading for pleasure...maybe 5%.

I read Flowers in the Attic in 7th or 8th grade. I used to haunt the local paperback exchange shop, and I came upon it there. I don't think my mom specifically knew what it was about, but she certainly knew about other questionable titles I was reading. And I was all too happy to tell her about it when I finished; she didn't care in the least that I had read it.

And now, 30 years later, I would not care if my 7th grader read it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

Honestly, I mean, the rape scenes in Clan of the Cave Bear were awful, but I thought the first few books in that series were actually really good from an anthropological perspective.  There were a lot of really fascinating ideas in them.  I would have been completely fine with my kids reading them in 7th-9th grade.  I even suggested it to them at one point.  I wouldn't assign it for school, but I think it's a whole different level from Flowers in the Attic.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

A few years ago I was looking at Build Your Library, and one of the thinks that put me off was Clan of The Cave Bear being included in it.  I didn't care of my kid read it at 14, but I drew the line at having a school discussion about it during that awkward age. 😄

I think I was about 9 at the time. 

2 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

My aunt gave me that set based on some random childless friend's recommendation. I was 11. There was a lot I didn't understand for a lonnnng time. 😳

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wendyroo said:

You had kids in your school that read?!?! Lucky!! Only about 50% of the kids in my middle and high schools even read the assigned reading.  And reading for pleasure...maybe 5%.

I read Flowers in the Attic in 7th or 8th grade. I used to haunt the local paperback exchange shop, and I came upon it there. I don't think my mom specifically knew what it was about, but she certainly knew about other questionable titles I was reading. And I was all too happy to tell her about it when I finished; she didn't care in the least that I had read it.

And now, 30 years later, I would not care if my 7th grader read it.

I read a ton in middle school and high school, including Flowers in the Attic, but I certainly didn't do the assigned reading.  I don't think one of those predicts the other.

Come to think of it, my kid who does his brother's homework but not his own might be genetic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 2/1/2022 at 8:42 PM, historically accurate said:

All of my kids would agree with this (although one turned out to like math in college - when I wasn't teaching it LOL):

textbook.jpg

I'm afraid I'd have to agree with this (and your kids). It's why I outsourced ds' math after 8th-ish grade.

16 hours ago, Terabith said:

7C062C77-946A-40A8-BF38-2D53F346FABA.jpeg

True! I'm reading a book called Pirate Women: The Princesses, Prostitutes, and Privateers Who Ruled the Seven Seas. Jeanne de Clisson is in Chapter 3. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I'm afraid I'd have to agree with this (and your kids). It's why I outsourced ds' math after 8th-ish grade.

True! I'm reading a book called Pirate Women: The Princesses, Prostitutes, and Privateers Who Ruled the Seven Seas. Jeanne de Clisson is in Chapter 3. 

Is Anne Bonne in there? (or however it is spelled?) That's who DS 22 named our small but vicious kitten after. 

Apologizing in advance, but I couldn't resist. I remember when my college switched from two-ply to one-ply in the dorms. I had a friend in the student government association, and he relayed to me the meeting that ensued after the uproar from the student body. Fun times.

May be an image of text that says 'Whoever the 'genius' is who invented one-ply toilet paper, I'd like to shake his hand.'

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

04D295DD-FC3F-4C03-8CBD-FE153B58114A.jpeg

And yet - sometimes professors know less than they think they do . .  and take that as a reason not to do something.

e.g. The prof who assigned a grad student to "go look for a bucky ball" because he didn't think it existed.  The grad student found it.  (it's a carbon molecule.)

And the 1930s math student who was habitually late to class and thought the math problem on the board was homework and went home and did it.  It was an example of an "unsolveable problem".   The poor student freaked out when he was called to a room full of people a couple weeks later.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Terabith said:

04D295DD-FC3F-4C03-8CBD-FE153B58114A.jpeg

This reminded me of the opposite suggestion we picked up from AOPS, which was to start with your emotional response and then once that was out of the way set about solving the problem. I apply that to all sorts of things outside of math. Like when the m&m bag bursts open on the wrong seam and they all make a run for it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3