Katy

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, wilrunner said:

image.thumb.png.59b976eabb309c9de439dab4f806718a.png

When we lived in Oklahoma I always got this checkout kid who'd never eaten anything fresh before. "What's this?"  "Kale... red leaf lettuce... romaine... leeks... parsley... cilantro, there's a code right there... parsnip... rutabaga... beets... collards... really?  You don't know what carrots are? Sweet potatoes."  

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Katy said:

When we lived in Oklahoma I always got this checkout kid who'd never eaten anything fresh before. "What's this?"  "Kale... red leaf lettuce... romaine... leeks... parsley... cilantro, there's a code right there... parsnip... rutabaga... beets... collards... really?  You don't know what carrots are? Sweet potatoes."  

I used to run in to that in the old days. Sometimes it was sweet -

Me: Portobello Mushroom

Cashier: Holy cow that is huge! Look at this mushroom, Gabe!

Other times,

"I'm just going to call this parsley. And this is Romaine. This one is..."

Me: 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, SusanC said:

I used to run in to that in the old days. Sometimes it was sweet -

Me: Portobello Mushroom

Cashier: Holy cow that is huge! Look at this mushroom, Gabe!

Other times,

"I'm just going to call this parsley. And this is Romaine. This one is..."

Me: 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yeah.  I get the obscure ones.  Jicama.  Ginger.  Starfruit.  Even mangoes.  But CARROTS? Wouldn't you learn that from cartoons as a kid?  I ended up teaching him where the stickers were on most of that stuff, and he was still faster than the sweet but SLOW old lady who was also always on in the day.  But he was always comical.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Terabith said:

C93E6027-FF9C-4677-BAB5-35FEBB5B0288.jpeg

there is too much truth in this.

I was picking up an item for sale on craigslist.  The owner lived out a way, she had free range chickens and horses.  She gave more some of her farm fresh eggs along with my purchase.  I was enjoying it as I grew up in a horsey area. (and chickens.  I may have mentioned I told my mom I was thinking about getting some chickens.  Mom shuddered and said "oh. . . chickens".   shudder some more. She lived on a farm until she was seven- then visited family on their farms every summer until she went to college.)

"Oh - I can share this with you" . . . She then proceeded to tell me about inviting a coworker and family to her house.  She sent them home with farm fresh eggs.  About a month later - coworker asks when the eggs will hatch.  "I don't have a rooster".   city coworker is clueless about what a rooster has to do with eggs hatching, and asks again, when will the eggs hatch? . . .. They'd bought an incubator and everything.
It was spring - so she sent him to the grange to buy baby chicks (they'd have shipments available every friday. They'd usually sell out by the end of the day.)

• Haha 2