Katy

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

IMG_5520.jpeg

I would have exactly that face, having listened to two hours of history podcasts on this question.  For example, the Byzantine Empire considered itself to be 'the empire of Rome' - the 'Byzantine' label came later. There was also - from memory  - a tiny area of Wales that considered itself part of the Roman empire well into the Middle Ages. So it depends whether you are talking about Rome the city,  Rome the empire or Rome the concept.

• Like 7

I just made a really great joke, and Mark did not give me the response I was hoping for!

Set up: Mark has double degrees in Math and Computer Science. My double degrees are Piano Performance and Music Education.

Mark: "Honey, how many ounces are in 9 lbs?"

Me: "Allegro!"

Come now, that is funny, right?

He was not amused.

DMetler will get it. I know she will!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I just made a really great joke, and Mark did not give me the response I was hoping for!

Set up: Mark has double degrees in Math and Computer Science. My double degrees are Piano Performance and Music Education.

Mark: "Honey, how many ounces are in 9 lbs?"

Me: "Allegro!"

Come now, that is funny, right?

He was not amused.

DMetler will get it. I know she will!

I think you have to know how many ounces are in 1 pound, and then multiply, and that number is the metronome speed for 'allegro' speed in music? It's not metric, though, so I don't know how many ounces are in a pound. Other than that, it's a great joke! 🤣

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

I think you have to know how many ounces are in 1 pound, and then multiply, and that number is the metronome speed for 'allegro' speed in music? It's not metric, though, so I don't know how many ounces are in a pound. Other than that, it's a great joke! 🤣

There are 16 ounces in a lb so 9 lbs is 144 which is a very standard setting for Allegro for classical music. I really expected him to give me a snicker. He took piano lessons for years before college, then in college, and was in choir as well as played violin.l bit mention being around me teaching for so many years AND around a good bit when I was doing some conducting. He just gave me a blank look. I felt so deflated! 🤪

• Like 3

Especially relevant today as Inky is harassing me to turn the air conditioning on outside.  She’s tried all the doors and it’s too hot outside of all of them, and I’m clearly just not getting the message!

IMG_5548.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

7 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Especially relevant today as Inky is harassing me to turn the air conditioning on outside.  She’s tried all the doors and it’s too hot outside of all of them, and I’m clearly just not getting the message!

IMG_5548.jpeg

This describes my older kid’s toddlerhood (2e autism), though the inconsistencies he noticed were a bit different, and he had a special noise (not a meow, lol) he made that was a demand to “fix it” or to see the problem, whatever it was.

#allcatshaveaspergers 

• Like 3

On 6/22/2024 at 3:16 PM, historically accurate said:

No description available.

Years ago we had a temporary keeshond (his mom needed help caring for him while she was getting chemo), and he got so hot in June we took him to a groomer for a puppy cut. 

He looked so much like a baby deer after his puppy cut that on our next walk a herd of deer (at least 6 adults and 2 fawns, kind of scattered) wandered out of the woods and up onto the trail we were on to stare. The closest was probably 20 yards away, but it’s the only time I’ve ever had a deer approach me, let alone the group of friends & kids walking with us. That keeshond was the most prone to barking of any dog I’ve ever cared for, but for that one walk he was blessedly quiet. It felt like a miracle. 

That was before smartphones and I didn’t consider grabbing my phone for a picture until the moment was over. 

• Like 4