Katy

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

IMG_3394.jpeg

I googled, and it appears to be at least partly true (didn't say anything about the frustration with the staff). 

I wish this kind of thing still happened vs. "Go spend money [or spend more money] on college so we can not hire you in four years when we don't need anyone anymore for that job." Lol!

So many people are capable of so many things if they are trained on the job. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, kbutton said:

I googled, and it appears to be at least partly true (didn't say anything about the frustration with the staff). 

I wish this kind of thing still happened vs. "Go spend money [or spend more money] on college so we can not hire you in four years when we don't need anyone anymore for that job." Lol!

So many people are capable of so many things if they are trained on the job. 

Or George Boole - who had no money for college, but was incredibly curious and did lots of self-study.   He eventually started publishing his findings, and was recommended by his peers/who had attended college as the first mathematics professor at Queen's College in county Cork.
You can thank him because he developed Boolean algebra.
Someone asked him what he would have been able to do if he'd attended college.  Essentially, he wouldn't have ever done as much as he did when he followed his curiosity.

Or the story of George Dantzig.  Doctoral student in Statistics.  Came late to class, and thought the problem on the board was homework.  It wasn't.  It was an example of an unsolvable problem.   So, the question is - how many people *might* have solved it had they not already been prejudiced to believe it unsolvable?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TechWife said:

The symbol they labeled this is actually “helicopter.” Not that I’ve ever described it that way or anything…

OK - it was me. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I've seen another one of these with different descriptions where 'this' one was labeled 'Yellow Submarine'. I can see it! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

What in the world? Was he (the English version of) a star quarterback paying (the equivalent of) out of state tuition, or what?

Basically, yes. His father was extremely rich.  https://sciencehistory.org/stories/disappearing-pod/the-real-tragedy-of-robert-oppenheimer/#:~:text=Blackett was robust%2C popular%2C and,Blackett never ate the apple.

• Thanks 1