Menu

Australians mask question

Ausmumof3

Now we’re joining the rest of the world with indoor mask requirements I’m looking to get something a bit more comfy and reliable in the reusable mask realm.  I love the forum recs usually but can’t find happy masks locally and don’t want to wait for shipping?  Anyone know if there’s a good local equivalent?

I use these ones from Etsy. Momotassie: *removed link*

My go-to rules are: triple layer cotton, nose wire, pleated (for better snug fit), adjustable straps, filter pocket.

We mask whether it is mandated or not, and these are the best I've found so far. They are good for smaller faces.

ETA: I removed the link, because I think it linked to my Etsy account. If you search Momotassie and triple layer cloth masks, you should find them. PM me if need be.

If you'd like a link to the filters we use, please PM me.

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I use these ones from Etsy. Momotassie: *removed link*

My go-to rules are: triple layer cotton, nose wire, pleated (for better snug fit), adjustable straps, filter pocket.

We mask whether it is mandated or not, and these are the best I've found so far. They are good for smaller faces.

ETA: I removed the link, because I think it linked to my Etsy account. If you search Momotassie and triple layer cloth masks, you should find them. PM me if need be.

If you'd like a link to the filters we use, please PM me.

These sound good.

I have trouble with masks being too big for my face and am always having to alter them.

So something for smaller faces would be great!

• Like 2

If you sew, get your elastic now.  It became hard to find here as everyone learned to sew their own masks.  I learned that if I put my mask high on my nose, and rest my glasses ON the mask, it seals the top and I don't get fogged up.  The VIPRguard masks fit me really well, but nobody has heard of them and they're U.S. made by a small factory. 😆

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Now we’re joining the rest of the world with indoor mask requirements I’m looking to get something a bit more comfy and reliable in the reusable mask realm.  I love the forum recs usually but can’t find happy masks locally and don’t want to wait for shipping?  Anyone know if there’s a good local equivalent?

I have some lovely masks made by a local seamstress.  I've left you a message

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I use homemade 3 layer cloth. I have a wire bobbypin in the nosebridge for a close fit to try stop my glasses fogging up. I tie behind my head as I find my glasses take up my ear space. 

I should probably make some!  But I still haven’t finished ds curtains from two years ago. 😏. I am a very slow seamstress.

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I can’t remember where I heard it, but I’m sure I heard recently that doubling up a surgical mask with a cloth one, like @Melissa Louisedoes is very effective.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TCB said:

I can’t remember where I heard it, but I’m sure I heard recently that doubling up a surgical mask with a cloth one, like @Melissa Louisedoes is very effective.

I do a tie and fold of my surgical mask too, before I put it on, so it forms a seal and doesn't gape at the sides. The cloth mask over the top adds additional layers, but also helps seal pretty tight. I know it's better than either on their own b/c breathing is harder, lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TCB said:

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

I do a tie and fold of my surgical mask too, before I put it on, so it forms a seal and doesn't gape at the sides. The cloth mask over the top adds additional layers, but also helps seal pretty tight. I know it's better than either on their own b/c breathing is harder, lol. 

Yes, disposable pleated surgical mask under well-fitting cloth mask is a really great quick and easy solution.  Disposable surgical masks are made from melt blown polypro with excellent filtration, but have a sloppy fit.   The cloth mask serves to fix the fit, so has to be well-fitting, but its filtration doesn't really matter; even a thin, single layer, cheapie one is fine, so long as it fits well.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lewelma said:

My sister in the USA had to wear a mask all day long as a school teacher. She found NZ wool ones better than cotton because they didn't collect the moisture. 

I have wool ones from last year!  But moths got into them - so annoyed!  They now look like the Swiss cheese graphic 😂 I might just end up ordering more of the same but I need to figure out a bug solution first

• Haha 1