Jump to content

Menu

Fall Vacations


Maggie2354
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just curious how many of you have canceled fall vacations because of everything going on right now?  We have a trip out West in September that has been planned for a while.  I don't know whether to cancel or go.  Everything is outdoors except for a 4 hour plane ride there and back. 

Both parents vaccinated, 2 teens not vaccinated yet (masking). 

Thanks for any advice!  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only thing that would give me pause might be the plane right, but that would not be a deal breaker for me.

We are going to Colorado for 2 1/2 weeks at the end of August/ beginning of September in our RV.  We will do plenty of hiking and fishing. Hubby and I are counting down the days!  Colorado is our happy place.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trip to Germany in Aug - canceled.

Family vacation - not happening, had planned for after the 10 yr old would likely be vaxxed, but rethinking that.

Trip to SW to attend Oct wedding - canceled, and we will celebrate locally, after the fact.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have a trip to TX in a couple of weeks to move dd back to campus (not a vacation). 

Ds1 and his gf have a trip to Spain (level 4 advisory) planned (third try due to Covid) for September.  They are still planning on going.

Ds2 and his gf have a trip to Italy (level 3 advisory) planned for August and are still planning on going.  

We are thinking of visiting those two sons in the fall since we haven't been able to in the past due to covid and my health issues.  One is in Boston, one is in Indiana.  We'll see what happens again with covid and my health.  Right now I probably have surgery coming soon so the decision might be made for us.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had semi-planned a short trip to California (where we both grew up) tacked onto a not-vacation trip my husband was supposed to do with his brother in the same area. I caved first, telling my husband a couple of weeks ago that I would not be broken hearted to skip it this time around. As of yesterday, he and his brother have postponed their expedition, also.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't  cancel but I passed on going on birthday trip to Vegas with friends at the end of September.

I am still planning to go to an airbnb for DH's birthday but that will just be driving and all activities can be outdoors or private.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were considering reserving a cabin (yurt, actually) in the mountains just for two or three nights sometime this fall. It would only be about a three hour drive from home, we'd probably stay away from people. But we're hesitating on even doing that. It's just hard to know. But both DH and I are high/higher risk, so that makes a difference.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

We were considering reserving a cabin (yurt, actually) in the mountains just for two or three nights sometime this fall. It would only be about a three hour drive from home, we'd probably stay away from people. But we're hesitating on even doing that. It's just hard to know. But both DH and I are high/higher risk, so that makes a difference.

We stayed in a yurt at a state park years ago. My husband is more worried about public restrooms than me. We hardly saw anyone else except when walking to and from the restroom.

1 minute ago, sassenach said:

We’re still going on our national park trip. It’s mostly outdoors and I feel ok about it 

If we own an RV, we would do that too. We typically go on a road trip in fall but my husband is worried about hotels and not keen on renting an RV.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’re still planning on taking our trip that is end of September/beginning of October. We do have an overnight on a train (I can’t fly) but I booked us a bedroom with bathroom, so unless Amtrak cancels we’re going. Honestly, if Amtrak were to cancel we would just drive ourselves. I did purchase us a travel air purifier for the train and hotel rooms. Most of everything we’ve planned can be outside except the days we are staying at in laws house. We haven’t seen them in a few years and they want us to come no matter what so we are going. 

Edited by Joker2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

We stayed in a yurt at a state park years ago. My husband is more worried about public restrooms than me. We hardly saw anyone else except when walking to and from the restroom.

 

The ones we're looking at have their own bathrooms. I guess they're kinda luxury yurts. I don't do roughing it, even in a yurt. 😉 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

The ones we're looking at have their own bathrooms. I guess they're kinda luxury yurts. I don't do roughing it, even in a yurt. 😉 

go for it 🙂  We did bring our own sleeping bags and there were bunk beds in the yurt.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We still have reservations for self catering accommodation on the other side of Scotland for November.  The trip currently includes two meals in restaurants but that depends on the situation.  It may become takeaways. 

Travelling by car.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It depends where you're going.

airports are mandatory masking.  airplanes are mandatory masking.  those refusing to mask can, and have, been thrown off of flights.  (I just got back from TX.  Didn't even get any TX BBQ . . . cry.)

SeaTac has a "TSA spot saver" for morning flights, with some airlines. You pick a time, and go.  The regular line was, a line.  There was NO ONE in the "spot saver" line.  (there were more people in the TSA precheck line.)

I'd love to go to the coast for a "king tide".  Those are only about three days in Nov/Dec/Jan.  Dh has some of his busiest days and can't leave.  Maybe I should just go by myself . . . ..

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holding off on making an absolution decision for our upcoming trip to Ireland to help move DS to his university apartment.

We have flights and an apartment hotel, both of which can be cancelled if we need to. The plan is to stay some extra days since we'd already be there and enjoy the endless outdoor spaces in and around the city. We won’t be eating out, drinking in pubs or going in the museums this trip, but that’s just fine. There is no shortage of hiking to enjoy and beaches to explore. 🙂 
 

Although Ireland’s status just changed to level 4, their case numbers are lower than most of our lowest states, and their vaccination numbers are higher than our best states. I don’t quite understand why we are advised not to travel there when, as DH puts it, we can’t get our own house in order. Where are the advisories against going to Florida or Missouri, or crossing nearly any state line at all? 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, MEmama said:


 

Although Ireland’s status just changed to level 4, their case numbers are lower than most of our lowest states, and their vaccination numbers are higher than our best states. I don’t quite understand why we are advised not to travel there when, as DH puts it, we can’t get our own house in order. Where are the advisories against going to Florida or Missouri, or crossing nearly any state line at all? 

Yes, I am with you. This makes no sense at all. You are much safer going there than I would be taking a trip in my car to New Orleans.  Praying you are able to go and have a wonderful time!  What a wonderful opportunity for your child!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’re still planning to go on a fairly local vacation, driving a few hours and staying in an Airbnb. We will have a kitchen and bring food and make all our meals. That still seems safe to me, and we’re looking forward to it 😊

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

It depends where you're going.

airports are mandatory masking.  airplanes are mandatory masking.  those refusing to mask can, and have, been thrown off of flights.  (I just got back from TX.  Didn't even get any TX BBQ . . . cry.)

SeaTac has a "TSA spot saver" for morning flights, with some airlines. You pick a time, and go.  The regular line was, a line.  There was NO ONE in the "spot saver" line.  (there were more people in the TSA precheck line.)

I'd love to go to the coast for a "king tide".  Those are only about three days in Nov/Dec/Jan.  Dh has some of his busiest days and can't leave.  Maybe I should just go by myself . . . ..

My nephew is a flight attendant. He does almost exclusively overseas flights (he's based in Chicago). What they are doing is that for anyone who refuses to mask, they will not be allowed to board any connecting flights. So they are serious about it. He feels bad for the passengers since a lot of these flights are really, long flights. 

To the OP...I would go. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, KSera said:

We’re still planning to go on a fairly local vacation, driving a few hours and staying in an Airbnb. We will have a kitchen and bring food and make all our meals. That still seems safe to me, and we’re looking forward to it 😊

I would totally do that!  Even with unvaccinated child.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We haven't canceled, but we have modified. We chose a more remote campground for fall van camping than the one we had originally booked just to be sure we don't encounter very many people and are sharing the restroom facilities with a sparse number.  (We make in the restrooms as well.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Not cancelling a thing. (But I never stopped traveling either). 

I never stopped either.  But I’m not booking my intended cruise at the end of October because I think things are just too much up in the air and DH can’t go anyway.  However—I’m taking DS11 to Universal Studios instead.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t know what things will be like in the Fall.  Earlier this month I would have felt very differently.  Who know how I will feel then.  
 

Personally I have 2 12yos and a 16yo who are vaccinated, so that would be a difference.

 

My sister was looking and looking at a trip to Mexico last year.  
 

She was convinced she could be Covid-safe.

 

But the actual hospital situation in the area was getting bad, so it seemed like a bad idea.  
 

She would have been staying in a room that opened up straight to the beach and all these things that seemed really good.

But how good is it really if the overall public health situation is poor because of Covid in the region. 
 

That was her situation, anyway.

I never thought she should go, just bc what if she did catch Covid despite all her precautions, and then was sick in Mexico.  I didn’t like that thought, but she was okay with it.  (Though she ended up not going and she acted like she had never really intended to go.)
 

But I think some things change so quickly it’s hard to know, and things could seem a lot better in October as far as specifics for a trip.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone I follow on Facebook (Diary of a Mom) was in an accident in Cape Cod about two years ago — so I do think, partly from that, sometimes on vacation it does matter what hospitals are like even without Covid.

Where I live now hospital diversions are starting to be mentioned, it seems like it would not be a good time to visit just in case.  
 

Edit:  anyway I would look at this kind of thing closer to the date of the trip!!!!!!

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I'd love to go to the coast for a "king tide".  Those are only about three days in Nov/Dec/Jan.  Dh has some of his busiest days and can't leave.  Maybe I should just go by myself . . . ..

Absolutely! Then, if it's something he wants to do when he's retired, you go again. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We cancelled our 10 day Grand Canyon trip. 

(not just Covid - but food allergy related; it is really hard for me to eat on the road so with Covid risks and food allergies - just not worth it) 

We are fully vaccinated. We went to Maine two weeks ago and both came home with colds. Mine turned into a sinus infection and double ear infection. 

We do have a short trip to DC planned for end of October. We will see...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

It depends where you're going.

airports are mandatory masking.  airplanes are mandatory masking.  those refusing to mask can, and have, been thrown off of flights.  (I just got back from TX.  Didn't even get any TX BBQ . . . cry.)

SeaTac has a "TSA spot saver" for morning flights, with some airlines. You pick a time, and go.  The regular line was, a line.  There was NO ONE in the "spot saver" line.  (there were more people in the TSA precheck line.)

I'd love to go to the coast for a "king tide".  Those are only about three days in Nov/Dec/Jan.  Dh has some of his busiest days and can't leave.  Maybe I should just go by myself . . . ..

True, airports are madatory masking. However, I can attest that many are not following that 'mandate' and no enforcing was being done. I live in Alaska and am traveling in the lower 48. Airports have included point of origin, SEATAC, Spokane, SL City and Nashville. 

And the mask enforcing is 'loose' on flights too while passengers are ' sipping' on their drinks. Couple behind me in 1st class sipped and talked for over 2 hrs straight. I asked the flight attendent if they were not enforcing the mask mandate. When she said they were still 'sipping' their drinks, I said they have been blabbing for 2 straight hours 🙄. She went and asked them to put on their masks...so there is that. 

Edited by corbster98
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our plans for early December are intact but can be rescheduled. We're supposed to buy plane tickets for it in a few months, but I'm getting nervous about that because it makes everything seem real. I will get insurance.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Maggie2354 said:

Thanks, everyone!  We canceled the trip and have rescheduled one a little closer that doesn't require a plane ride.  Planning to keep activities outdoors as much as possible.  🙂

Hoping you have a great vacation, and can reschedule the other one again someday soon! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/3/2021 at 12:56 PM, Maggie2354 said:

Just curious how many of you have canceled fall vacations because of everything going on right now?  We have a trip out West in September that has been planned for a while.  I don't know whether to cancel or go.  Everything is outdoors except for a 4 hour plane ride there and back. 

Both parents vaccinated, 2 teens not vaccinated yet (masking). 

Thanks for any advice!  🙂

I would not do it unless the kids were vaccinated.  

Edited to say I see you changed your plans to not include a plane ride....good idea. Have fun!

Edited by Scarlett
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...