Menu

Ideas for English co-op class for 3rd-5th graders

Jube

I will be teaching a small co-op English class for 3rd-5th graders this coming year, and I'd love some suggestions of what curriculum might be useful in planning for it. I'm interested in using a literature-based language arts format so we can read several books throughout the year and pull some simple writing, grammar, and literature lessons from the books that we read.

I know that Brave Writer's Dart and Arrow guides might be helpful. Is there anything else similar to that I should look into?

Thanks so much!

Welcome! I see by your post count that you are new to posting -- but have been a member for many years -- so, here's an official welcome! 😉 

These two programs integrate spelling, vocabulary, grammar, and writing with the literature:
Learning Language Arts Through Literature -- by grade level; each year-long guide for the 4-5 books of the program
Total Language Plus -- guides to go with your choice of individual books

Another year-long program, which integrates grammar and writing:
Lightning Literature: grade 3, grade 4, grade 5
Integrates grammar and writing. Each is a year-long program covering 6-8 works of literature. Student workbook + teacher book

A slightly more "unschooling" approach to literature through exploration:
Moving Beyond the Page
Explorations using the works of literature as a springboard; not as much formal instruction in the LA of Grammar and Writing as the previous options, but more about exploration and thinking with a wide variety of writing assignment ideas and projects.

Activity-based extension guides designed for a group of children:
Lit Wits Explorer Guides
Each guide is fofor individual works of literature.

You might also do a search of each specific book title you want to cover, and see if you come up with some Teachers-Pay-Teachers units that would provide what you're looking for.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1