Jump to content

Menu

So what is productive?


TexasProud
 Share

Recommended Posts

Learn a language

learn an instrument (A friend took on a piano student who had a temper problem.  or was it a hitting younger siblings problem?  piano gave him something productive "to hit".)

garden

learn a new craft, or take up one you haven't done in awhile

make care pkgs.

bandages for leprosy (cotton thread, 4" wide - there are instructions online).

crochet/knit hats for hospitalized babies

start a new fitness program.   there are a number you can do at home, especially if you have space.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Finishing a devotional.

I write poems a couple of times a week.

We have a huge garden. I've canned and frozen stuff.

I hike 4 miles three times a week.

I take pictures on my place a ton.

I had to make a website a few weeks ago for my internship.

Writing a letter to a niece as she goes away to college.

Practicing piano.

Reading books.

 

Been there. Done it.

Could you schedule some phone calls each week? I've done more of that these since last March and I've really enjoyed it. Sometimes I walk and talk to a friend on the phone.

We do extended family zoom calls now, which we would never have dreamed up if it weren't for the pandemic. We have played Trivial via zoom (teams, we have the physical board and the people on zoom are on teams with people here). There are also a couple of games we can play right on zoom-Scribbl (like pictionary) and Scattegories.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

Not all fosters are long term--- foster families may need a 'sub' when they go on a vacation or take a weekend getaway.  Most of the rescues around me (Central Texas) need temp fosters too!

Yep. I’m doing this next week. I’ll have a puppy for 4 days. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TexasProud said:

But none of these can be done with other people. I get bored being all alone.  Whoo hoo. Organize pictures that no one will look at. Need to throw away probably 2/3 of them. 

I need people.

Do you have a community garden where you can work with others outside?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I continue to walk with local friends through lockdown. 

I call the friends who aren't local, or they call me. 

I almost never Zoom - only with my niece. So most of my social time is offline. 

If I was hunkered down, and lonely, I'd honestly just call a friend. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Seasider too said:

 

I have to be honest… I don’t think you lack things to do. I think you are feeling anxious. So whatever techniques you may have learned to help that crawling-out-of-my-skin feeling subside - breathing, exercise, whatever - do that. 

Yeah, that is a good description for what I felt yesterday. Covid really has me rattled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

I continue to walk with local friends through lockdown. 

I call the friends who aren't local, or they call me. 

I almost never Zoom - only with my niece. So most of my social time is offline. 

If I was hunkered down, and lonely, I'd honestly just call a friend. 

 

4 hours ago, mum said:

Could you schedule some phone calls each week? I've done more of that these since last March and I've really enjoyed it. Sometimes I walk and talk to a friend on the phone.

All of my relationships are about an inch deep. We interact at activities, but once the activities are done so is the relationship.  We just don't see each other anymore. I have not typically done anything with people other than organized activities or work. The people from church are all going back to work this week (teachers) or have been working.  I do have one friend I have had for 25 years: we homeschooled together, did co-ops, traded kids, did summer violin camps, watched our kids to basketball/volleyball at the private school and the relationship kinda fizzled this past year ...partially because of Covid, partially because I was an empty nester and she had a senior. We have walked together some, took her to lunch for her birthday this summer, but I don't know, it is just awkward.  We have nothing to talk about really other than our kids.   

I do have a little prayer texting group, but all 4 of them are involved in the youth program and so, they don't mean to, but when we get together it is all about that and I am not on board with Covid restrictions ( lack there of), but don't want to hurt their feelings.  They aren't anti-mask and will wear them out of courtesy for me if we get together. But, no, I am not going to call them to chat. Their lives are so much busier than mine as they all have kids in dance or 4H. They have so many activities with their kids to keep them busy, in addition to their jobs that no, I will not be that needy friend that wants to ramble about nothing. Nope.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Seasider too said:

Then just start by outlining it. Big section super basic outline. Then next time add some subsections. Add a bit here and there when you feel like it and before you know it the paper will have written itself. 
 

Yeah, not that kind of paper. It is a capstone doctrinal synthesis paper. The other kind is easy.  Here is an example of one on bibliology that someone did:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5b96c9afe17ba329d83b752b/t/5b9837d91ae6cfeac98543a5/1536702426803/Complete+Doctrinal+Syntheses.pdf

I also have to have sections on soteriology, ecclesiology trinitarianism, eschatology, hamartiology, anthropology and angels.   I know how to do it. I just have to write this last section and make sure all the other sections from previous classes don't repeat themselves.  I just don't like it. I have no plans to be a pastor, which is what this  is used for so the church knows what you believe about the basic doctrines. Just need to quit procrastinating.

Edited by TexasProud
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Ok, thanks everyone. I like the keeping in touch with the senior citizens. I helped one move into a nursing home last month.  He is just really hard to understand over the phone. But I have a whole list of people I know who are suffering health problems right now. I will call one a day and write a note a day as well. At least I will feel like I am doing something.

Ok... back to writing this thing.

Edited by TexasProud
homophones
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TexasProud said:

What about March? I will be there for the Calvin Festival, providing they actually have it this time and conditions have settled down

March can be cold and snowy, icy, or quite nice.   If you come this way, message me as I am not too far from Calvin and can give you some ideas of things to do, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I would be purging and organizing preparing to downsize.  I would be scanning and shredding old documents.  I would be exercising.  I would cross-stitch and read.  And...I would be organizing my pictures.

But...being the sandwich generation with rising twin 11th graders and an elderly father needing more help by the minute, not much of this is getting done at the moment.

These are all the things I need to do, but, like you, I am busy with other people.    A 3 year old and an elderly father.   My rising senior is pretty self sufficient, thankfully, although we are getting ready to start college applications.

Oh, and there is no hunkering down, our schools are wide open.   I don't see them shutting down this year at all.   I have worked all summer and head back to my reg. job in a week.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Yeah, I did that week before last. We went through throwing out the moldy produce. They have more than they can give away.

That's sad.  I hope that pantry can do better at getting food distributed promptly.  Perhaps you could spearhead an additional distribution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, HeartString said:

My podcast listening habit really took off after we moved and I was lonely. It helped keep me company while I was doing pretty much anything and kept my thoughts busy so I didn’t ruminate too much.  

Yep, I do that as well.  The problem is that I get to a certain time of day…5 or 6pm.  I have been up since 3 or 4 am.  I have read several nonfiction books, written papers, done produce and/or projects.   I am just done and don’t need to go to bed until 9.  Sometimes hubby and I will watch a show like Home Town or Keep Your Daydream on Youtube, but then he goes back to working on his current project.  I load and run dishwasher, sometimes take a nap, but I really feel at a loss then. I don’t want to think. I don’t like tv, and to be honest, I fall asleep is I watch something without doing something. Going to bed at 9 makes sure I don’t wake up before 3. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I work a job that I can do remotely.

It's productive in the sense that I earn a salary that helps pay our bills, save for retirement and make charitable contributions. I also develop products that are genuinely helpful to our customers.

It's not exciting or personally meaningful, but it's what I have for now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Yep, I do that as well.  The problem is that I get to a certain time of day…5 or 6pm.  I have been up since 3 or 4 am.  I have read several nonfiction books, written papers, done produce and/or projects.   I am just done and don’t need to go to bed until 9.  Sometimes hubby and I will watch a show like Home Town or Keep Your Daydream on Youtube, but then he goes back to working on his current project.  I load and run dishwasher, sometimes take a nap, but I really feel at a loss then. I don’t want to think. I don’t like tv, and to be honest, I fall asleep is I watch something without doing something. Going to bed at 9 makes sure I don’t wake up before 3. 

It sounds to me like what you need is something to keep your mind occupied but not taxed. You’re doing enough academics, you don’t need something else to study.  Have you ever done any type of needlework?  I’m thinking you need a very intricate project with no deadline, no pressure, just something to pick up and work on when you have downtime.  More meditation than production.  Something that will let your mind focus but not labor.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow. Such good ideas.

I love the idea of fostering a dog (I'd teach a few commands too).

And the Meals on Wheels idea is great. I have nice memories of volunteering at Meals on Wheels with my grandparents in the summer. ♥

When we first locked down in 2020, I started a blog.

I'm also a huge reader. Here are my most awesome books ever list.

I'd also train myself -- I'm doing this now in Atlanta -- to get up each morning a bit earlier w/o feeling awful. That way I can walk the dog outside in the early hours before the heat gets bad.

I need my sleep or I'm a total zombie. I just moved my alarm back every 15 mins. since late May.

I feel dumb, but I hadn't realized that Texas was in lock down again until your post.

Wendy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Danae said:

It sounds to me like what you need is something to keep your mind occupied but not taxed. You’re doing enough academics, you don’t need something else to study.  Have you ever done any type of needlework?  I’m thinking you need a very intricate project with no deadline, no pressure, just something to pick up and work on when you have downtime.  More meditation than production.  Something that will let your mind focus but not labor.  

Yeah,  you are right. But anything sewing I have been banned from. My husband sews on his own buttons. I've tried a couple of different things and each time my teacher, mom, mentor said..."Maybe you should find something else."  LOL. 

Maybe I need to make that my piano practicing time. Or practicing singing time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Alicia64 said:

Wow. Such good ideas.

I love the idea of fostering a dog (I'd teach a few commands too).

And the Meals on Wheels idea is great. I have nice memories of volunteering at Meals on Wheels with my grandparents in the summer. ♥

When we first locked down in 2020, I started a blog.

I'm also a huge reader. Here are my most awesome books ever list.

I'd also train myself -- I'm doing this now in Atlanta -- to get up each morning a bit earlier w/o feeling awful. That way I can walk the dog outside in the early hours before the heat gets bad.

I need my sleep or I'm a total zombie. I just moved my alarm back every 15 mins. since late May.

I feel dumb, but I hadn't realized that Texas was in lock down again until your post.

Wendy

Texas is NOT in lock down.  It should be. In the three counties around me one has doubled the amount of cases, the other two have tripled and as I said in another thread, only about 1/3 of us are vaccinated.  No, I am locking down myself, which makes it REALLY hard and why this has been so hard for me.  All of my activities and friends are doing normal life.  It is MY choice not to participate for safety reasons and why I feel so lonely as well.

Thanks for the book list. I have read a few, but not all of them.  I normally have 3 or 4 books I read at one time.  I normally read a good 100 books or more a year.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Ok, thanks everyone. I like the keeping in touch with the senior citizens. I helped one move into a nursing home last month.  He is just really hard to understand over the phone. But I have a whole list of people I know who are suffering health problems right now. I will call one a day and write a note a day as well. At least I will feel like I am doing something.

Ok... back to writing this thing.

I actually did this as part of my job when covid first started circulating. People were so glad to have someone to talk to, and the conversations often went different directions and lasted much longer than expected. I enjoyed getting to know some of these folks better, and found it interesting. So many of them have had amazing lives, and now feel set aside

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TexasProud said:

The problem is that I get to a certain time of day…5 or 6pm.  I have been up since 3 or 4 am.  ...

 I am just done and don’t need to go to bed until 9. 

Why do you get up at 3 am? If I did that, I also would be ready to fall asleep at 5 pm and couldn't do anything worthwhile later in the evening. 

I get insomnia. But have you tried going back to sleep after an hour of quiet distractions?

Edited by regentrude
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Thanks for the book list. I have read a few, but not all of them.  I normally have 3 or 4 books I read at one time.  I normally read a good 100 books or more a year.

It sounds like you're staying safe.

We're reading twins -- do you have a favorite book list that you can send?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Why do you get up at 3 am? If I did that, I also would be ready to fall asleep at 5 pm and couldn't do anything worthwhile later in the evening. 

I get insomnia. But have you tried going back to sleep after an hour of quiet distractions?

Not the OP, but I have terrible insomnia and I do get up in the middle of the night for an hour and go back to sleep.  I basically take two naps at night - if I'm lucky, 3 hours each but broken up to use the restroom.  It works for me, but DH doesn't like it much because I go to bed earlier with him and then go downstairs when I get up and sleep on the couch for my second night nap and he misses me.  The problem is traveling - we're doing a big road trip soon and I'll be sharing a hotel room with DH and dd.  I'm going to try a sleep aid for that because I can't be up all night when sharing a room.  

 

47 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

 

We're reading twins -- do you have a favorite book list that you can send?

@TexasProudI'd love to see it too!  Are you on Goodreads?  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Yeah,  you are right. But anything sewing I have been banned from. My husband sews on his own buttons. I've tried a couple of different things and each time my teacher, mom, mentor said..."Maybe you should find something else."  LOL. 

Maybe I need to make that my piano practicing time. Or practicing singing time.

Paper folding?  Maybe origami flower bouquets?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

Why do you get up at 3 am? If I did that, I also would be ready to fall asleep at 5 pm and couldn't do anything worthwhile later in the evening. 

I get insomnia. But have you tried going back to sleep after an hour of quiet distractions?

Well my husband is up and exercising at 4:30 am, so....  If I go back to sleep after 4, which is really, really rare I feel absolutely awful- my head hurts, I feel groggy. When I wake up, normally shortly before 4 I am wide awake and ready to hit the ground running.  Not sure what you mean by quiet distraction.  I do this on vacation, traveling, on mission trips. I just wake up early. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have known several people who have been online reading buddies with elementary school children during COVID

I started taking an online adult ballet class two days a week.  The exercise is good, it is relaxing, and it has been good to meet people I did not know pre-Covid.  

I find a change of scencery/being outdoors nice.  Taking a walk, reading outdoors, drinking a cup of coffee on my porch.  Sometimes, connecting with nature can fight loneliness as much as connecting with other people.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bootsie said:

 

I find a change of scencery/being outdoors nice.  Taking a walk, reading outdoors, drinking a cup of coffee on my porch.  Sometimes, connecting with nature can fight loneliness as much as connecting with other people.  

Yeah, I do that a lot already.  Doesn't help.  The only thing that seems to keep me sane is interacting WITH PEOPLE IN PERSON every day. I really hope this gets better before the middle of fall. Hubby is leaving for 2 1/2 months. Then I will REALLY be alone.

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

The only thing that seems to keep me sane is interacting WITH PEOPLE IN PERSON every day. 

I get that. I need personal interaction, too.
Then just go do it. Wear a good mask, keep your distance, and meet up with friends - as you said, they're all less worried and are going about activities.
There is no official lockdown that prevents you from leaving the house and meeting up with people. Choose small gatherings, opt for outdoors whenever possible. Just avoid the high risk stuff - packed bars and mass events.

ETA: You are catastrophizing. Again. I am afraid that engaging in the Covid threads on this board may not be the best action for your mental wellness.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, regentrude said:

I get that. I need personal interaction, too.
Then just go do it. Wear a good mask, keep your distance, and meet up with friends - as you said, they're all less worried and are going about activities.
There is no official lockdown that prevents you from leaving the house and meeting up with people. Choose small gatherings, opt for outdoors whenever possible. Just avoid the high risk stuff - packed bars and mass events.

Am I not then being selfish??  Putting people at risk? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Am I not then being selfish??  Putting people at risk? 

Are you vaccinated?
Are you wearing a mask?
Are you staying home when you are sick?
Are you avoiding crowded indoor events?

If you do those things, you're not selfish. You are taking all reasonable precautions you can. You are allowed to take care of your mental health, too. Meeting humans in a low-risk way is fine.

ETA: Nobody in any of these threads said that a person who doesn't shut herself up at home and forgoes all human interactions is selfish or irresponsible.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, regentrude said:

Write a book. Write poems. Compose songs. Draw. Paint.
Garden. Preserve veggies. Bake.
Teach a class online. Run a club online. Participate in an online open mic.
Go hiking, biking, kayaking.
Train for a marathon.
Take up nature photography.
Knit, crochet, weave, spin.
Write paper letters to friends and  family. Write to a senior in a nursing home you don't know.
Create a homeschool curriculum.
Design a website.
Learn a foreign language. Watch films in a  foreign language with subtitles.
Learn to play an instrument.
Get a job.

Do you remember last year when I said I had some old friends/mentors who had moved away years ago and I really missed them? I was bored at home so I wrote them a letter updating them on my family and then hesitated to send it, but the Hive encouraged me to go ahead and send the letter. I don't think I ever updated you on what happened, but I got a call from the woman after she received my letter. There was something in the letter about a goal my son has and she put him in contact with someone who could help him work towards the goal, we were able to catch up a bit, and now I send an email or text every few months and always get a response and an invitation to visit them if we're ever in their state (and they're the kind of people who really mean it when they invite you to visit them). I was so glad I listened to all of you!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mom2scouts said:

Do you remember last year when I said I had some old friends/mentors who had moved away years ago and I really missed them? I was bored at home so I wrote them a letter updating them on my family and then hesitated to send it, but the Hive encouraged me to go ahead and send the letter. I don't think I ever updated you on what happened, but I got a call from the woman after she received my letter. There was something in the letter about a goal my son has and she put him in contact with someone who could help him work towards the goal, we were able to catch up a bit, and now I send an email or text every few months and always get a response and an invitation to visit them if we're ever in their state (and they're the kind of people who really mean it when they invite you to visit them). I was so glad I listened to all of you!

That's a great idea. I have my matron of honor that we lost track since Covid.  I will reach out today.  Thanks for the encouragement!  I really appreciate it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wrote this after helping out one of our members. I have no idea where I am going to use it

 

Moving Day

 

Relatives bustle around the small apartment. Grief masked by annoyance. Packing paper placed around memories.

He sits, in the chair—decisions made around him. “We got that in England on our 25th anniversary,” he says, pointing to the ornate clock and candelabras.

 He looks off in the distance, “We’ve only been able to be together ten days over the last year.”

I think about all the times I saw him tenderly helping her at church. Another life lesson stolen by a pandemic. “How long have you been married?” I ask.

He smiles, “it will be 65 years next week.” He shares with me disjointed stories of courtship, changing jobs, and driving over 2,000 miles on their honeymoon.

Finishing my task of sorting through cans, throwing out 2018 soup and take-out containers partially filled with potato chips, I turn to look at him. He looks lost.

The bed and dresser leave out the front door.

 I sit on the floor at his feet.

He takes my hand, “I know a lot of people. I’ve lived a lot of places in my life.”

I am so grateful he ended up in our small town. The stories from his days in the oil field and corny jokes have been an integral part of VBS, Wednesday night dinners, and choir retreats. He faithfully signed up for all of the unseen jobs: putting out the chairs or taking flower arrangements to shut-ins. He always made sure the church members in the nursing home had bulletins so they would know what was going on. Now he is moving into one.

Who will visit him to bring him a bulletin?

My mind flashes back nearly 15 years. Despite being in his early 80’s, he eagerly agreed to play a role in my children’s choir musical. 

“You were such a good sport that year you sang with the kids.” I tell him.

He smiles.

After several decades, he left the regular choir a few years ago to join the senior adult choir. He looks at me, “I’ve been talking to Tom. I may not be able to make it to Silver Singers anymore. He said we would work something out.”

He begins to sing, his voice shaky, yet strong:

            In the time that you gave me, did I give all I could give
            Did I love all I could love, did I live all I could live…

I do not try to stop my tears as they fall to the floor- a holy moment amid partially packed boxes.

            If today is the day you should decide to take me
            Did I do all I could do in the time that you gave me?[1]

Yes, sweet saint, you did.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Their lives are so much busier than mine as they all have kids in dance or 4H. They have so many activities with their kids to keep them busy, in addition to their jobs that no, I will not be that needy friend that wants to ramble about nothing. Nope.

I have two littles under 5 so quite busy, but I absolutely LOVED it when my single/empty nester friends called or texted me. Sure, sometimes it means they have to speak to my kids, sometimes it means I have to say can we reschedule, and yea maybe there is something more productive I can do during that time. It's been soo good for me to get those phone calls and text. I want to hear adult ramblings about nothing.

They have kids and massive amount of stuff to "do", but they may also be lonely just like you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2021 at 8:18 PM, ktgrok said:

Hiking group?

Online volunteer work - you can google for those. 

Outdoor volunteer work?

I'm in a small pandemic-formed hiking group with three friends.  They are all positive people, so nobody is draining anyone's energy.  It's good for my soul to spend a few hours with them a few times a month.  It's just different than walks with DH.  I love it. I may suck them into a letterboxing adventure this week 🙂

On 8/2/2021 at 8:23 PM, TexasProud said:

Give me some ideas. I have no idea how to do that. 

Do you have any charities that feed people?  There's one in a nearby city that accepts donations of prepared casseroles. They even have recipes.  They make it easy to do a one-time donation drop off.  Or maybe even something smaller scale like a batch of cookies for meals on wheels?

On 8/2/2021 at 8:37 PM, TexasProud said:

I can contact nursing homes, but we really do not have anyone teaching our immigrants to learn English. None.  That is actually what I talked to our pastor about.  He thought it would be a great idea, so in the spring when schooling has slowed down a little, I plan to investigate how to help. 75 percent of our Spanish speaking kids don't test up to level.  But again, I don't know that I will get to do that following my husband around the world doing mission work.  That is IF it resumes.  That is why I am so frustrated. I don't know how or what to commit to because we are not sure what he is doing.

If they have computers you could organize a zoom class for English.  Something like VIP kid, but a local version.  If a computer meeting isn't ideal you can organize a park meet-up thing to match volunteers to kids who need the extra English help.

Have you fully explored our library's online offerings?  You may be able to check out some ebooks and join an online book club or a meets-outdoors book club.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'm in a small pandemic-formed hiking group with three friends.  They are all positive people, so nobody is draining anyone's energy.  It's good for my soul to spend a few hours with them a few times a month.  It's just different than walks with DH.  I love it. I may suck them into a letterboxing adventure this week 🙂

Do you have any charities that feed people?  There's one in a nearby city that accepts donations of prepared casseroles. They even have recipes.  They make it easy to do a one-time donation drop off.  Or maybe even something smaller scale like a batch of cookies for meals on wheels?

If they have computers you could organize a zoom class for English.  Something like VIP kid, but a local version.  If a computer meeting isn't ideal you can organize a park meet-up thing to match volunteers to kids who need the extra English help.

Have you fully explored our library's online offerings?  You may be able to check out some ebooks and join an online book club or a meets-outdoors book club.

Honestly, as someone said, something small so I am not overwhelmed would be better. I am taking 8 graduate hours right now. I will be out of town next week, back for a week, gone for 2 1/2 weeks. Taking 5 graduate hours this fall and will be out of the country the entire month of December. Honestly, that will be my life in and out of the country. Here a month or two, gone a month or two. I just don't know how I  would be able to organize and sustain something like that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'm in a small pandemic-formed hiking group with three friends.  They are all positive people, so nobody is draining anyone's energy.  It's good for my soul to spend a few hours with them a few times a month.  It's just different than walks with DH.  I love it. I may suck them into a letterboxing adventure this week 🙂

Oh this sounds great! I would horn in on your group if I lived anywhere near you.  Currently all the people I know who have time for hiking don't have the knees for it.  My husband and I like to walk but yeah, it's different with friends. 

I've started finding trails near me and going by myself. I've been eyeing a facebook group that hikes in my area but so far their schedule doesn't mesh with mine. I'm waiting for a hike I can join and meet people and see what happens there. 

Edited by marbel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing you can do at your own pace is the online portion of CERT training (Community Emergency Response Team). Then you can look for opportunities for the in-person training near you when you have time.
I agree that walking outdoors with friends is nice, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2021 at 5:13 AM, TexasProud said:

Honestly, as someone said, something small so I am not overwhelmed would be better. I am taking 8 graduate hours right now. I will be out of town next week, back for a week, gone for 2 1/2 weeks. Taking 5 graduate hours this fall and will be out of the country the entire month of December. Honestly, that will be my life in and out of the country. Here a month or two, gone a month or two. I just don't know how I  would be able to organize and sustain something like that. 

We’re 4 women with jobs. One is on track to become a judge, one travels incessantly, and one owns her own business. I work for a designer who is pumping out a Fall line NOW and care for a disabled son. Our club goal is ONE hike a month. We feel super accomplished when we pull that off. 🤣 The months where we meet twice make us feel downright heroic. 🦸‍♀️ The connection and ongoing text conversations are pure gold. It’s a nice brain reset to pull off our personal racetracks for a moment and just be IN nature with positive people. It’s a little recharge that refreshes us all. 
 

I see them today and I’m really looking forward to it. There are trails near my work so we’re meeting there when I close up shop. They don’t know it, but I’m going to make them find letterboxes. I haven’t found a box in an entire decade!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...