Menu

So what is productive?

TexasProud

Write a book. Write poems. Compose songs. Draw. Paint.
Garden. Preserve veggies. Bake.
Teach a class online. Run a club online. Participate in an online open mic.
Go hiking, biking, kayaking.
Train for a marathon.
Take up nature photography.
Knit, crochet, weave, spin.
Write paper letters to friends and  family. Write to a senior in a nursing home you don't know.
Create a homeschool curriculum.
Design a website.
Learn a foreign language. Watch films in a  foreign language with subtitles.
Learn to play an instrument.
Get a job.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

I would be purging and organizing preparing to downsize.  I would be scanning and shredding old documents.  I would be exercising.  I would cross-stitch and read.  And...I would be organizing my pictures.

But...being the sandwich generation with rising twin 11th graders and an elderly father needing more help by the minute, not much of this is getting done at the moment.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Jann in TX said:

If I had time to be 'productive' (outside of a job) I would spend time quilting or doing needlework.  It is VERY calming for me.

I try to get some cross-stitching done in the morning as it is calming to me too.  I'm usually too tired to do any at night.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I would be purging and organizing preparing to downsize.  I would be scanning and shredding old documents.  I would be exercising.  I would cross-stitch and read.  And...I would be organizing my pictures.

But...being the sandwich generation with rising twin 11th graders and an elderly father needing more help by the minute, not much of this is getting done at the moment.

Yeah, been there and done what you have done.  So sorry. It isn't fun.

• Like 1

Plan a fall garden

Learn a new style of cooking

Bake 

Sort and organize family photos, letters, recipes, etc.

Interview older relatives about their lives

Sew, knit, crochet

Write about your own life for your kids 

Read for fun 

Write a novel

Find out who in your area (or family... or anywhere) might be in need of company, and phone or write them

Rediscover the fun of writing letters

• Like 4

Plus, I am currently doing my internship for which I am writing on my blog, creating a personal devotional, making presentations ( or was...that is out), organizing a churchwide devotional ( I am getting my rough drafts now from people. They are awesome.)  I am currently writing 4 papers for  a seminary class this week.  In the fall I will have another class. 

I have stuff to do.  I am just really lonely.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

10 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Write a book. Write poems. Compose songs. Draw. Paint.
Garden. Preserve veggies. Bake.
Teach a class online. Run a club online. Participate in an online open mic.
Go hiking, biking, kayaking.
Train for a marathon.
Take up nature photography.
Knit, crochet, weave, spin.
Write paper letters to friends and  family. Write to a senior in a nursing home you don't know.
Create a homeschool curriculum.
Design a website.
Learn a foreign language. Watch films in a  foreign language with subtitles.
Learn to play an instrument.
Get a job.

Finishing a devotional.

I write poems a couple of times a week.

We have a huge garden. I've canned and frozen stuff.

I hike 4 miles three times a week.

I take pictures on my place a ton.

I had to make a website a few weeks ago for my internship.

Writing a letter to a niece as she goes away to college.

Practicing piano.

Reading books.

Been there. Done it.

Just now, TexasProud said:

I have stuff to do.  I am just really lonely.

Okay, that's different from what you said first.

I bet you aren't the only one who's lonely. Identify someone else who is, and find a way to communicate with them. Think of it as a service to both of you.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

But none of these can be done with other people. I get bored being all alone.  Whoo hoo. Organize pictures that no one will look at. Need to throw away probably 2/3 of them. 

I need people.

Hiking group?

Online volunteer work - you can google for those. 

Outdoor volunteer work?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Innisfree said:

Okay, that's different from what you said first.

I bet you aren't the only one who's lonely. Identify someone else who is, and find a way to communicate with them. Think of it as a service to both of you.

Plus none of that helps end this stupid crisis or help feed people or whatever. It is me...in front of a computer.  So sick of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teaching3bears said:

Volunteer to be a crisis line support worker.  

Volunteer talking to lonely seniors online.

Help underprivileged kids with homework online.

There is a greater need for all this now!

How do I find out about things like this. I don't know of anything like this around here. I probably do not have the temprament to be a crisis line worker. I freak out too easily, but the other two I could do.

Just now, TexasProud said:

Give me some ideas. I have no idea how to do that. 

1 minute ago, cjzimmer1 said:

call some nursing homes and see if you can penpal some of the residents

Seriously, the folks stuck in nursing homes have had such a hard time. I'd find a way to help them. Being a penpal is a great idea. Even sending a bunch of cards, so they all get something.

1 minute ago, TexasProud said:

How do I find out about things like this

Google ideas like these with your area.

Maybe call some nonprofits and ask if they need help.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Give me some ideas. I have no idea how to do that. 

Teaching3bears had some good ideas and maybe others will too. I think online tutoring is a great idea. Any chance you could buy or borrow a document camera? I used one to do zoom tutoring last winter when my school went remote for a month and it worked great!

2 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Do you feel comfortable hiking or walking with others outside?   I need real, live, adult people to interact with.  Last year that was almost all done by meeting friends at local parks and walking 6ft apart.

My husband and I do that three times a week right now.

Just now, Longtime Lurker said:

Teaching3bears had some good ideas and maybe others will too. I think online tutoring is a great idea. Any chance you could buy or borrow a document camera? I used one to do zoom tutoring last winter when my school went remote for a month and it worked great!

Good idea.  But the truth is, with my own schoolwork and traveling... Finishing my internship, going to Colorado for a couple of weeks, school again then I will be in the mission field the month of December where I will actually help people maybe.  But other than December, it just feels like all my stuff is just for me and my degree and my writing....  I don't know. Being locked down makes me feel really, really, really trapped.

1 minute ago, happi duck said:

Our food pantry has lots of ways to volunteer in person but masked.  Hunger needs are ongoing.  Our pantry also accepts homegrown veg.  I'm sure a huge garden produces more than empty nesters need.

Yeah, I did that week before last. We went through throwing out the moldy produce. They have more than they can give away.

1 minute ago, TexasProud said:

Good idea.  But the truth is, with my own schoolwork and traveling... Finishing my internship, going to Colorado for a couple of weeks, school again then I will be in the mission field the month of December where I will actually help people maybe.  But other than December, it just feels like all my stuff is just for me and my degree and my writing....  I don't know. Being locked down makes me feel really, really, really trapped.

Do you know your closest neighbors?

5 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

How do I find out about things like this. I don't know of anything like this around here. I probably do not have the temprament to be a crisis line worker. I freak out too easily, but the other two I could do.

For helping underprivileged kids with homework, you could contact schools in poorer neighborhoods or social service organizations.  or you could contact immigrant groups to help kids who are learning English.

For seniors, contact nursing homes or other organizations for the elderly.

Just now, GracieJane said:

Do you know your closest neighbors?

We only have one across the street. We live out in the country on 50 acres. They bring us eggs and we give them produce. I need to learn Spanish so I can talk to them, but I honestly do not have the brain power with all of the writing I have to do for school and my internship. Maybe June 2022.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Teaching3bears said:

For helping underprivileged kids with homework, you could contact schools in poorer neighborhoods or social service organizations.  or you could contact immigrant groups to help kids who are learning English.

For seniors, contact nursing homes or other organizations for the elderly.

I can contact nursing homes, but we really do not have anyone teaching our immigrants to learn English. None.  That is actually what I talked to our pastor about.  He thought it would be a great idea, so in the spring when schooling has slowed down a little, I plan to investigate how to help. 75 percent of our Spanish speaking kids don't test up to level.  But again, I don't know that I will get to do that following my husband around the world doing mission work.  That is IF it resumes.  That is why I am so frustrated. I don't know how or what to commit to because we are not sure what he is doing.

Edited by TexasProud

It sounds like with your schedule, writing cards to elders in the nursing home as someone mentioned above might be the one that fits in the spare minutes you have. You can imagine their happiness upon getting a card. Also military servicemen and servicewomen enjoy getting mail. You want something small right now that will fulfill you, not something that will overwhelm you. 

• Like 1

Thank. I just need to yell and scream right now. Hubby's allergies are acting up, so we have been leaving each other alone for the last several days. He is a lot better now. I do think it was just allergies/asthma from mowing but we are just being super cautious.  And I am a planner and all of this resurgence has just destroyed some of the plans I had REALLY REALLY been looking forward to since the lockdown.  I don't like feeling out of control. After my temper tantrum tonight, Iin the morning,  will take a deep breath and make a plan.  I am also putting off writing what I think about the Tribulation and the Rapture because I don't know for sure and don't really care, but have to make a convincing case with tons of proof. I've read the 5 academic books already, underlined it all. I just don't want to write it. 

11 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I'm not sure if you have pleasant weather right now, but outdoor socializing seems pretty safe. Maybe try to do as much as possible outside.

I realize that may not work if it's crazy hot right now. I am in Michigan and so it is a great time for outdoor activities here.

1 minute ago, Longtime Lurker said:

I'm not sure if you have pleasant weather right now, but outdoor socializing seems pretty safe. Maybe try to do as much as possible outside.

I realize that may not work if it's crazy hot right now. I am in Michigan and so it is a great time for outdoor activities here.

Michigan is on our bucket list, but yeah it was nearly 100 all week last week.  We really do want to go there in our RV though! ( In the summer (:) 

3 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

What about March? I will be there for the Calvin Festival, providing they actually have it this time and conditions have settled down.

Well... in my opinion, March is kind of our low point. Grand Rapids has lots of great restaurants, though, if the world is indoor-dining-friendly by that point.

Knit/crochet

house fixer upper projects

swedish death cleaning the house

update wills and such if it’s been a long time

Volunteer at a food bank or giving meals to vulnerable 

garden - highly recommend starting with indoor succulents.

exercise

go on walks

try a new recipe every week

adopt or temporarily foster pets

create an outdoor space for distancing with company.  A friend did that last year and it was 1000% worth it. We could sit 6-10 apart out of the weather with our personal thermos of drink choice and snack and still feel like we were having a cozy chat at the kitchen table. I am stil crazy jealous of it.  A friend up north made some pennies off offering a distancing meet up/date set up on their front drive that I thought was genius.  LOL

buy all the stuff to follow a Bob Ross painting lesson video. Don’t forget the wig. The wig is the most important part.

• Like 1

If you can get a list of shut-ins from your church or even area churches, and go down the list giving each one a call, that will give you some social interaction and meet some needs as well. Nursing home patients may not be able to use a phone as well (thinking of my own mil), but shut-ins probably still can. Lots of them are lonely and love to have conversations. You can ask if there is anything they need, how they are doing, and so on. Then it wouldn't matter if you travelled, and you could just do it as you have time. You may find that there are just a few that you really connect with, and then you can be "phone friends" with them, giving them a call every week or so. Even many who have family still get lonely from day to day.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Another vote for fostering shelter animals. My friends who work at Texas shelters say they are in crisis mode right now, with the shelters more overcrowded than ever. They are literally begging people to foster.

Not all fosters are long term--- foster families may need a 'sub' when they go on a vacation or take a weekend getaway.  Most of the rescues around me (Central Texas) need temp fosters too!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Another vote for fostering shelter animals. My friends who work at Texas shelters say they are in crisis mode right now, with the shelters more overcrowded than ever. They are literally begging people to foster.

Six years we got our current dog from a rescue group in TX that sends animals out of the south and into the northern US and Canada. She was fostered for three weeks before we got her. They euthanize so many dogs there every year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TexasProud said:

So what in the world is productive that someone with an empty nest can do now that we have to hunker down again? I don't need to be on this board 24/7, but I can only clean and study so much. 

Garden, remodeling projects, landscaping, reading, take a class (or four), learn a new hobby via YouTube like fiber arts, quilling, sewing, card making... Send letters to older family/friends/neighbors, make phone calls to the same, Zoom coffee dates