Menu

Current state of Florida…and testing drama

ktgrok

So today is 5 days post last exposure to DS22, who is positive. We all took a round of Binax at home tests, and I followed the directions religiously. Full 15 seconds in each nostril, made sure to use the right number of drops. All were negative…except mind was weird. A sort of grey shadow line - not pink like it said. It said even faint red or pink is positive, but this is not. And it showed up, I think, after the testing window. So, in an abundance of caution I drove myself and DD4 (who has had a runny nose…but likely allergies) to the testing place in my county that does both PCR (for me) and rapid tests (for her, just to check again…I’m not doing a PCR on a 4 yr old). 

The testing is in a park that has a long winding driveway. Cars were backed up out that long driveway, onto the main highway, down the highway for a block, down the side street there, around the U-turn, and back up the side street almost to the highway again! It was obviously going to be hours long. I drove past, I was not doing that!

I ordered more Binax and we will all repeat them Wednesday. I’m staying home anyway, to be cautious. 

But how many people are not getting tested because they can’t wait? OR don’t have a car - it is drive up only, no walk ups allowed. Even still my county is having 1K plus positives a day. They have been running out of tests daily as well. Apparently this is happening all over the state, and we hit a record level of hospitalizations. 

My friend at one large hospital said that in early July they would have 10 Covid patients a day. When I talked to her at noon yesterday they had 118, and more waiting for beds to open up. 

And NO ONE IS MASKING!

And school starts next week I think, and our Governor has made it so parents can opt out of mask even if a school mandates them, but none are anyway. 

Ugh. 

—UPDATE—

I was able to snag the LAST Covid test at a CVS near me. I made the appointment online and by the time I finished filling everything out had 10 minutes to get there! Rapid test - no PCR available, but I just got the call and it was negative. I’ll retest in 36 hours or so. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Sad 23

I’m sorry.  That’s frustrating.  A relative of a relative (in Florida) died from Covid this morning.  And my uncle’s best friend was just put on a ventilator.  It stinks. 

I’m in the rural Midwest now but I think unless you go to a crowded hospital there’s no testing in my county.  There used to be a drive through testing spot in town but they shut it down when vaccines were widely available. 

• Sad 18

I am so sorry. I am in Scottsdale right now at a Westin and I keep thinking about Florida. It is only a matter of time before Arizona turns into the same. They have all the same anti-mask mandate laws here and school is about to start. Walking around the resort, the employees don't even have to mask if they are vaccinated. Almost all of the guests are maskless. My mom is being a good sport and humoring me by wearing her mask and only eating outside. It's 100+ degrees out and we are the only ones eating on the patios of most of the restaurants. I tell her the reason is because my 8 year old is unvaxed, but honestly, I don't want any of us eating inside. I give it a month, two tops, before AZ is a total shitshow as well. We have seriously learned nothing and all my ICU nurse friends in other states are so over helping people who refuse to help themselves. I mean, of course, they will help people. It's their jobs, but people aren't volunteering and all gung ho anymore. That ship has sailed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 17

I was able to snag the LAST Covid test at a CVS near me. I made the appointment online and by the time I finished filling everything out had 10 minutes to get there! Rapid test - no PCR available, but I just got the call and it was negative. I’ll retest in 36 hours or so.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

I am so sorry. I am in Scottsdale right now at a Westin and I keep thinking about Florida. It is only a matter of time before Arizona turns into the same. They have all the same anti-mask mandate laws here and school is about to start. Walking around the resort, the employees don't even have to mask if they are vaccinated. Almost all of the guests are maskless. My mom is being a good sport and humoring me by wearing her mask and only eating outside. It's 100+ degrees out and we are the only ones eating on the patios of most of the restaurants. I tell her the reason is because my 8 year old is unvaxed, but honestly, I don't want any of us eating inside. I give it a month, two tops, before AZ is a total shitshow as well. We have seriously learned nothing and all my ICU nurse friends in other states are so over helping people who refuse to help themselves. I mean, of course, they will help people. It's their jobs, but people aren't volunteering and all gung ho anymore. That ship has sailed.  

That would be so frustrating.  

Get the shot people!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

We have seriously learned nothing and all my ICU nurse friends in other states are so over helping people who refuse to help themselves. I mean, of course, they will help people. It's their jobs, but people aren't volunteering and all gung ho anymore. That ship has sailed.  

Yep.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

If you are going to self isolate anyways - I’d just go donate blood or plasma. They check there for free, heck you can even get paid for testing that way! They say it can take 3-6 weeks for the results of all the tests comes back, but I and my friends who donate have all gotten ours within 3 days. I don’t *think* you can get more accurate than a blood draw.

Edited by Murphy101

23 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

If you are going to self isolate anyways - I’d just go donate blood or plasma. They check there for free, heck you can even get paid for testing that way! They say it can take 3-6 weeks for the results of all the tests comes back, but I and my friends who donate have all gotten ours within 3 days. I don’t *think* you can get more accurate than a blood draw.

I can’t donate. I pass out and am sick for 24 hours every time I try. As in, they asked me nicely to please stop donating, as me sittin gin their chair, white as a sheet, with blue lips, for 45 minutes means that is 3 people they can’t collect from, cause I’m hogging the chair. And they think I’m a liability risk if I fall while leaving (it’s a delayed reaction…happens after they take the needle out).

Plus if I were positive, I’d be in a small area exposing others. 

B

And it doesn’t just affect the healthcare workers on the very front lines in the ICU, although of course they have borne the heaviest burden. There is a huge trickle down effect throughout entire hospital systems, not to mention the families of workers. So many healthcare workers are burnt out, angry, and frustrated.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, rebcoola said:

Ugh same here just locally .  The drive up place had lines blocking traffic and asking people to go to other testing sites if they could.  To bring water and lunch and be preparedto wait.   My dad ended up not testing because of the mess.  

Try the CVS website. I lucked out and snagged an appointment not too far away. They came out to the car and had me self swab. 

• Like 1

We don't have CVS he tried Walgreens and they were booked out a few days.  He couldn't get the rite aid site to work and gave up.  It's to late now I would assume since it's been 12 days.  He is extremely aware and cautious but I'm sure some are not. 

Edited by rebcoola

41 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

I don't think that there is a blood test to screen for active covid.  Tests for antibodies to previous infections, yes, but not for active Covid infection.  Canadian Blood Services states on their website that " There is no Health Canada or FDA approved test to screen blood for COVID-19". Maybe there is such a thing in the US, but my google skills are failing to find it.

I also think that it is unethical to donate blood while knowingly ill.  

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Frances said:

And it doesn’t just affect the healthcare workers on the very front lines in the ICU, although of course they have borne the heaviest burden. There is a huge trickle down effect throughout entire hospital systems, not to mention the families of workers. So many healthcare workers are burnt out, angry, and frustrated.

I just read an article quoting a CEO (or some similar position) of a major hospital in a low-vax region & he was quoted as saying how it (the low-vax population) was negatively impacting recruiting. He said a # of caregivers had recently left the hospital (with some even leaving the health care profession), and that new health care workers did not want to go to work in/for a low-vax community.

And I don't really blame them....I mean, the same people who rag on about health care professionals making money for every Covid case, or who falsify data to increase # of Covid deaths, or who "suppress" miraculous alternative treatments, etc etc, are the very same people who don't hesitate to go running to those same professionals for help should they or their loved ones actually catch Covid & experience breathing difficulties. 

Edited by Happy2BaMom
  • Like 3

Of course I don’t think she should donate while knowingly sick.  But I thought she said she isn’t sick and thinks she’s most likely negative but just wants to be sure. Some donation places offer screening from your car or and separate out people as they donate.  Last time I went they had separate rooms that were sanities between each person.  Either way once my self isolation was done - I’d donate and ask about antibodies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’m so sorry. I just looked at a graphic of all 50 states’ curves, and holy Batman, Florida!  I really wish my kid would get out of there and just hang with us for a while. Not that we’re doing all that fabulous, but man!

DH has stopped asking me/hinting that I should/could have joined him him there. Winning?

11 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Of course I don’t think she should donate while knowingly sick.  But I thought she said she isn’t sick and thinks she’s most likely negative but just wants to be sure. Some donation places offer screening from your car or and separate out people as they donate.  Last time I went they had separate rooms that were sanities between each person.  Either way once my self isolation was done - I’d donate and ask about antibodies. 

The Red Cross is no longer testing for covid antibodies.  The blood test only showed previous infection, not current ones, anyway.  

• Like 1

Just now, Terabith said:

The Red Cross is no longer testing for covid antibodies.  The blood test only showed previous infection, not current ones, anyway.  

Okay. I’ve never used the Red Cross. There’s several places to donate where I live. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Donating blood because you are worried you might have an infectious illness is still unethical IME, even if you think you will be negative and you just want to be sure.  OP's exposure history (covid positive person in the household, IRRC) is not low risk.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, wathe said:

Donating blood because you are worried you might have an infectious illness is still unethical IME, even if you think you will be negative and you just want to be sure.  OP's exposure history (covid positive person in the household, IRRC) is not low risk.

Again. I’m not suggesting anyone lie or purposely spread illness. I’m saying just call and ask them if they have a protocol for those willing to donate but unsure of their contagious status and wanting to verify their covid status. They’ll usually ask a bunch of questions to decide if it’s safe to come get a blood draw or not. If it’s not, then of course do not go. 

• Like 1

MIL's sister and niece, who are anti-vax and anti-mask are currently visiting MIL.  From Florida.  And dh is heading down there Wednesday and will be spending at least one day and one night in the same house with them.  😒  Dh is vaxxed but MIL was only able to get one shot because she had a really bad reaction and wound up in the hospital. 

• Sad 3

Our senator, the guy who I am positive is a villain from Buffy, was asked about the record breaking hospitalizations in Florida (third day in a row we broke a record!). He replied that after talking to people around the state the real issue is....inflation. 

Not of lungs. Of prices.

Yeah...no acknowledgement at all of record breaking hospitalizations, hospitals with Covid patients waiting for beds because they are full, etc. Just...inflation. 

So when I printed more signs for my DS22's isolation ward I added an extra. 

IMG_5047 2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 17

Our blood banks ARE testing blood for antibodies, but it may be too soon and I may be contagious if I have it, so not really a good option at this time. Later, yes...if I didn't pass out and hog their chair and turn into a liability every time I try, lol. 

I even tried drinking a bunch of gatorade, eating well, etc beforehand. It doesn't matter. And it isn't the needle...I'm fine until they take it out or right before that. It's the lack of blood. I'm also then nauseus and have a terrible headache for about 12 hours after. My body likes the blood it has. (I'm borderline anemic which may be why? Also some POTS symptoms, not enough to test and be diagnosed I don't think, and I cope, but yeah....my blood has to stay in me, it seems.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Our senator, the guy who I am positive is a villain from Buffy, was asked about the record breaking hospitalizations in Florida (third day in a row we broke a record!). He replied that after talking to people around the state the real issue is....inflation. 

Not of lungs. Of prices.

Yeah...no acknowledgement at all of record breaking hospitalizations, hospitals with Covid patients waiting for beds because they are full, etc. Just...inflation. 

Your signs are great. I'm glad you're able to have some fun with the situation.

Watching the back and forth regarding requiring masking in schools, I have become increasingly convinced that "our" governor is actually evil.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Our blood banks ARE testing blood for antibodies, but it may be too soon and I may be contagious if I have it, so not really a good option at this time. Later, yes...if I didn't pass out and hog their chair and turn into a liability every time I try, lol. 

I even tried drinking a bunch of gatorade, eating well, etc beforehand. It doesn't matter. And it isn't the needle...I'm fine until they take it out or right before that. It's the lack of blood. I'm also then nauseus and have a terrible headache for about 12 hours after. My body likes the blood it has. (I'm borderline anemic which may be why? Also some POTS symptoms, not enough to test and be diagnosed I don't think, and I cope, but yeah....my blood has to stay in me, it seems.)

I had similar issues for years. Not the nausea, but passing out/nearly passing out and headache and stuff. Sometimes, they had to pull the needle before they even got a full pint, because I would "time out." At that point, they couldn't even use what they have pulled from me, so it was a waste of everyone's time and resources. I was told that, in addition to sometimes being anemic or close to it, I just have low blood volume. (My blood pressure also runs at the very low edge of normal.)

I don't even try anymore.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

6 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Your signs are great. I'm glad you're able to have some fun with the situation.

Watching the back and forth regarding requiring masking in schools, I have become increasingly convinced that "our" governor is actually evil.

Me too. Like...I'm starting to think Angel was a documentary, Wolfram and Hart is real, and DeSantis works for them. 

Seriously though, growing up I was nominally religious, but never believed or even though about evil. As an adult? Evil exists. That man is evil. Or at least, doing evil is his main occupation. 

Got an email from the school board today - they despearately want a mask mandate but if they try, they will lose funding. DeSantis already threatened a school in Miami for having one. If they try, they lose state funding. So they are doing what they can, legally, which is requiring all employees to mask, all visitors to mask, since those are not covered under the executive order from DeSantis. And they are giving $200 to any employee that is fully vaccinated. 

Buses will have the windows open. 

There will be hand sanitizer in classrooms. 

And that is all they can do. No real distancing, not smaller class sizes, masks encouraged but not required, asking kids to stay home if sick but we all know how that goes. It's going to be a disaster, I'm afraid. 

My nieces will be in school full time, one is slightly overweight and has had asthma issues, the other is underweight, and has food issues so has a very limited diet and won't take any vitamins, although both get lots of sunshine/vitamin D exposure at least. And are active in sports, swimming at home, etc. And my sister, also with Asthma, also overweight, is a principal and going to be so exposed. She's vaccinated, but my nieces are not old enough. 

I'm scared for them, and worried about my mother's anxiety as I'm sure she's scared for them. She worried about illness BEFORE the pandemic. UGH. I can't imagine how worried she is. 

Honestly, I have never wished harm on someone, but DeSantis is an exception. We thought Scott was terrible and evil, but DeSantis has outdone him. I may go donate to Crist right now. 

3 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I had similar issues for years. Not the nausea, but passing out/nearly passing out and headache and stuff. Sometimes, they had to pull the needle before they even got a full pint, because I would "time out." At that point, they couldn't even use what they have pulled from me, so it was a waste of everyone's time and resources. I was told that, in addition to sometimes being anemic or close to it, I just have low blood volume. (My blood pressure also runs at the very low edge of normal.)

I don't even try anymore.

Exactly! People always look at me weird when I say they asked me not to keep coming back, like I'm lying. But really, it was a waste of their time and resources. And a liablilty. I had no one to pick me up last time so they had me wait 45 minutes (when they were busy and could have gotten 3 other donations in that time in that chair), then I had to swear I wouldn't drive home yet, just walk to the smoothie place in the plaza and sit and drink it before going home. 

• Like 2

At a school board meeting in Alachua County the head of local EMS said that there have been multiple times in the past few weeks where there were NO ambulances available in the whole county. Had a stroke? Hit by a car? sorry, gotta wait until someone has a chance to get to you. 

That school board is taking a gamble and doing a 2 week mask mandate for students, which they are hoping will slide by without them losing funding. But they know they can't really push it beyond that. 

• Sad 5

I am worried this will count as discussing politics, so please let me know and I will take this down, but has there been any discussion about a recall election for him (impeachment, or whatever that would be), or is it really that most of the residents support Santis' position on these things?  I don't live in FL but I have family that does. I am so worried about them. It feels like they are trapped in a death zone. 

• Like 1

I've been thinking about @ktgrok's son and what we will do if (when) my kids bring covid home.  All of us are vaccinated, but the plan is for my kids to go to school.  Oldest is in a tiny school that requires everyone on campus to be vaccinated.  I'm not sure if they will require masks or not this year, but I suspect so.  I'm not too worried about them.  But my youngest is in public school.  I wish I could keep her home another year, but I don't think she can afford another year at home academically, socially, or emotionally.  The school has 2,000 kids.  I am praying they require masks, and I think that's likely, but there will be no distancing.  I think it's pretty inevitable that she will get covid and bring it home.  

And then I have no idea what we will do.  If my husband or I got covid, we would move into the basement.  But my youngest kid is terrified of the basement.  And she's terrified of being alone.  She's 16, but she's got significant anxiety and is on the spectrum.  I just don't think we could isolate her.  I think she would need her room.  The rest of us could use the basement bathroom, but I don't think we could make her be alone.  I'm not sure we could isolate my oldest, either.  

It just sucks.  It feels inevitable that we're going to get it if I let them go to school (or at least if I let youngest go to school), but I'm not sure it's sustainable to not let her go again.  

Sigh.

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I've been thinking about @ktgrok's son and what we will do if (when) my kids bring covid home.  All of us are vaccinated, but the plan is for my kids to go to school.  Oldest is in a tiny school that requires everyone on campus to be vaccinated.  I'm not sure if they will require masks or not this year, but I suspect so.  I'm not too worried about them.  But my youngest is in public school.  I wish I could keep her home another year, but I don't think she can afford another year at home academically, socially, or emotionally.  The school has 2,000 kids.  I am praying they require masks, and I think that's likely, but there will be no distancing.  I think it's pretty inevitable that she will get covid and bring it home.  

And then I have no idea what we will do.  If my husband or I got covid, we would move into the basement.  But my youngest kid is terrified of the basement.  And she's terrified of being alone.  She's 16, but she's got significant anxiety and is on the spectrum.  I just don't think we could isolate her.  I think she would need her room.  The rest of us could use the basement bathroom, but I don't think we could make her be alone.  I'm not sure we could isolate my oldest, either.  

It just sucks.  It feels inevitable that we're going to get it if I let them go to school (or at least if I let youngest go to school), but I'm not sure it's sustainable to not let her go again.  

Sigh.

Would she be ok in her room?  I don't remember if you have any huge risk factors, but when dh had his probably case he was in our room with the bathroom attached.  I would go in masked to give him things.  When he felt better, though, sometimes he'd be on the bed and I would open the door and talk to him with the air filter between us.  He was probably 10 feet away.  I never got sick at all. I didn't have him wear a mask when I did that, but you could.  I also had him FaceTime with dd bc they were completely isolated from each other bc I wanted her to be able to go to camp after he was better and she tested negative a couple of times.  I know the doorway thing wouldn't work for Katie bc of the unvaccinated kids with health issues, but particularaly after the first few days, it felt ok to me.

eta: he wasn't coughing or sneezing

Edited by freesia

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

I am worried this will count as discussing politics, so please let me know and I will take this down, but has there been any discussion about a recall election for him (impeachment, or whatever that would be), or is it really that most of the residents support Santis' position on these things?  I don't live in FL but I have family that does. I am so worried about them. It feels like they are trapped in a death zone. 

our state constitution doesn't allow for recall elections. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

our state constitution doesn't allow for recall elections. 

Gotcha. I didn't even think of that. 

I'm not sure what else to do but pray for you all.

My SIL is an elementary teacher in S. Florida. While she is vaccinated, none of her students will be, and I can't imagine how all the teachers (and parents) are feeling.  None of them want more virtual teaching (it was horrible). That said, when I just looked at the numbers for FL, they were far worse than last summer, and I felt like they were bad then.  I am just so sorry to hear this is the situation anywhere and I am so frustrated for you all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Gotcha. I didn't even think of that. 

I'm not sure what else to do but pray for you all.

My SIL is an elementary teacher in S. Florida. While she is vaccinated, none of her students will be, and I can't imagine how all the teachers (and parents) are feeling.  None of them want more virtual teaching (it was horrible). That said, when I just looked at the numbers for FL, they were far worse than last summer, and I felt like they were bad then.  I am just so sorry to hear this is the situation anywhere and I am so frustrated for you all.

I know, there is so little we can do. Out of needing to do something, I donated to DeSantis's opponent...but that election isn't until 2022.

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Terabith said:

Sigh.

Well, our house is such that if one of us gets it (also all vaccinated), there is just no way of isolating. So...? If it's in the fall, we can open windows. Before then, not so much due to excessive temperatures. Also, I'm assuming that if one of us gets it, by the time we realize it, it will be too late to avoid exposure for the rest. We can try our best to minimize it, but it will be hard in our house.

• Like 2