Menu

Would you test?

AbcdeDooDah

I would only test if I needed to have exposure to someone else while waiting for their results. Otherwise, I would just lay low and wait. I can't remember the percents, but there is a good chance of a false negative if you test too early. This would be too early post exposure for me to feel good about a negative result. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Too early for them, too? I thought Delta testing could be done sooner? I could be wrong.

It's not too early for them to test if they are already having symptoms. Average time from exposure to symptom onset is 4 days with Delta (vs 6 with the original strain), and the range  also seems much wider (e.g. some people not showing symptoms or testing positive until 10 days or more after exposure). I'd test towards the end of the week, or sooner if you develop symptoms.. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I, and two of my kids, helped my dd and her dh move on Saturday. She just texted that they're having symptoms and getting tested. Should we test without symptoms?  Just wait to see what their results are?

I would wait and try to limit outside contacts until you hear the results of their testing.

I have heard that Delta goes positive quicker than the 4-5 days previously recommended after exposure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vonfirmath said:

We had a PCR test recently that came back in less than 24 hours. All of the PCR tests our family has had since March have come back that way.

Ours have in the past, too.  Not sure why they're choosing rapid. I will let her know to get a PCR if they get negative rapids and symptoms persist or we come down with symptoms

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

It's not too early for them to test if they are already having symptoms. Average time from exposure to symptom onset is 4 days with Delta (vs 6 with the original strain), and the range  also seems much wider (e.g. some people not showing symptoms or testing positive until 10 days or more after exposure). I'd test towards the end of the week, or sooner if you develop symptoms.. 

here exposure to being contagious enough to spread with delta is happening within 24 to 30 hours. Some test positive after just that little time, others only test positive after 13 days

Edited by Melissa in Australia