Menu

I'm so tired of Covid stealing everything....

TheReader

Yes, we are all vaccinated. No, we are not high risk (but we do have contact with some who are). Yes, we are back to wearing our masks, and choosing what activities we participate in, because even though our county has a high rate of vaccination, we also have a high rate of Delta and our hospitals are filling up fast, and according to healthcare working friends, some hospitals are even seeing vaccinated Covid patients admitted to the hospital, hitting as high as about the 10% mark (10% of Covid patients in one hospital system are of vaccinated patients). 

So. We're back to masks and choosing what we do. 

Which means we are right now carefully evaluating the pros/cons/wisdom of attending, or not, Wicked. In Dallas, in a few weeks. 

Tickets that we bought a while ago, when things were calming down, and after we'd been vaccinated. 

Tickets we've been so looking forward to, b/c Covid cancelled so.many.things. last year. 

Tickets we will give up if it seems the smart thing to do, because yes, the venue is operating pretty strict guidelines, but still. I teach in person at our co-op, so to go be exposed a week before class seems maybe less smart now that Delta is what it is. 

I really want to still go. But more than that, I really want to do the responsible/smart thing, which probably will end up meaning that we cancel. 

Again. 

Covid sucks. 

That is all. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 28

I don’t see how going to that is going to be any less infectious than teaching in person. So I’d go. I’d wear a mask and keep my distance as best I could - but I’d go if I could given that frankly once school starts in my area everyone is equally screwed. Schools here are planning to open like precovid.  No mask. No distance. In person.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

I was mentally prepared for things going south in the Fall because that was the prediction for the next wave of Covid. But it seems that the Delta variant beat everyone’s expectations and here we are in Summer with bleak news about ICU’s filling up. I was looking forward to simple things like buying groceries and clothes… but I am back to making Amazon stock holders richer by shopping online!

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

Rough times.  Struggling here, too.  It stinks.

And I gotta say … Wicked.  Wicked is excellent, and having to ponder canceling that would destroy me.  So I’m really feeling for you right now.  Ouch.  

"fortunately" DH & I have seen it, but the kids have not, so we were going to take everyone. We were SOOOO thrilled that theater was coming back. Finally. Ha. 

But thank you for the sentiment; it's so....depressing is maybe not the right word, but.....ugh. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheReader said:

"fortunately" DH & I have seen it, but the kids have not, so we were going to take everyone. We were SOOOO thrilled that theater was coming back. Finally. Ha. 

But thank you for the sentiment; it's so....depressing is maybe not the right word, but.....ugh. 

It’s a good one for kids, whatever the ages you have are … I would be sad, too.    Glad you and DH have seen it though!

Our disappointments here are more along the lines of everyone else, and how it’s all impacting a rising senior, with all that age entails.  But we all have those particular disappointments.  There’s something about theater tickets that would add extra pain to it all, for me.  Eek. (Theater family here, guess it shows.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Murphy101 said:

I don’t see how going to that is going to be any less infectious than teaching in person. So I’d go. I’d wear a mask and keep my distance as best I could - but I’d go if I could given that frankly once school starts in my area everyone is equally screwed. Schools here are planning to open like precovid.  No mask. No distance. In person.

I think you mean that it won't be any more infectious than teaching in person, and if I taught in a public school, I'd say you are spot on. 

BUT, I teach K, 1st, and 2nd in a small little co-op. I have a max of 12 students, and I get to control the covid protocols in my classroom. So, the kids will still be distanced(ish), my room is REALLY BIG, I have good air flow in there, and I do trust my families to not send their kids with even a sniffle (they all did super good with this last year). 

Whereas, at the theater, they state they are operating at 100% capacity, and while they are requiring masks, if Dallas is anything like Houston, that won't necessarily mean properly worn masks. And close quarters. For a long time. Plus staying in a hotel. Plus possibly/probably eating out/needing to figure out food. Plus the sheer multitudes of people.  There's really no way at all to social distance in entering, exiting, bathroom break during intermission, etc. 

And then, frankly, if one of my kiddos were to give it to me.....I'm okay with that, and will handle that. If *I* were to pick it up in Dallas at the theater, and then come home asymptomatic and give it to one of my kiddos.......I'm not at all okay with that, at all. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

Just now, Spryte said:

It’s a good one for kids, whatever the ages you have are … I would be sad, too.    Glad you and DH have seen it though!

Our disappointments here are more along the lines of everyone else, and how it’s all impacting a rising senior, with all that age entails.  But we all have those particular disappointments.  There’s something about theater tickets that would add extra pain to it all, for me.  Eek. (Theater family here, guess it shows.)

Oh, it definitely is an extra pain. We adore the theater, although none of us participate. But we usually go to 2-3 shows a year, and take the boys to whichever ones seem interesting (they are teens/young adults, so not really "kids" though I still call them that), and....blah. 

I'm holding off on buying any more tickets, because....who knows. And I'm so bummed. 

I'm very sorry about the rising senior; I think that was so hard on that particular group this past year....hugs (ha, covid safe cyber hugs) to you/your senior.  

• Like 1

I am currently crying about it.  😞   Things were looking up rates were falling 4 out of the 7 of us were vaccinated.  Summer was supposed to be great and then the other kids could get their vaccine in Sept.

My kids are all dancers.  They haven just went back to in person ballet classes 3 weeks ago.  THe school is putting on a show that was cancelled in the midst of rehearsals.  We have to decide today if they are doing it.   We have been locked down so hard since 3-2020.  It doesn't seem like the right time to let up.  But when is the right time?  At first it was 2 weeks, the end of April, oh by summer, when summer is over, next year, the end of summer.....   If we hold off will it be better in a few months?  Or will it just have another variant? 

The school is doings very carefully.  Everyone masked (no matter of vaccine status), different casts for the shows that are kept apart (not rehearsing together), everyone 12 and up has to be vaccinated, and there will be testing.  But still I know it is a risk.  

But I also know that mental health is really really important.  I hate being a parent right now.  Making these choices.  Missing out on things that are normal.   And that there is now no light at the end of this tunnel.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Sad 10

I've been dealing with SI joint/hip/back issues for along time. For my birthday, because I was vaccinated, I got a gift certificate for a massage. But I couldn't use it, because DD4 had developed major separation anxiety since we've all been home with her all year. So we worked through that. She's now much much better. I could go get my massage! And..then my county declared a state of emergency, hospitals started turning away elective stuff, my friends in hospitals are saying it is really bad, my fully vaccinated mask wearing son tested positive making it clear to me how easy it is to catch Delta, and now I still can't get my dang massage. 

It's petty, but dang it!

• Sad 9

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I've been dealing with SI joint/hip/back issues for along time. For my birthday, because I was vaccinated, I got a gift certificate for a massage. But I couldn't use it, because DD4 had developed major separation anxiety since we've all been home with her all year. So we worked through that. She's now much much better. I could go get my massage! And..then my county declared a state of emergency, hospitals started turning away elective stuff, my friends in hospitals are saying it is really bad, my fully vaccinated mask wearing son tested positive making it clear to me how easy it is to catch Delta, and now I still can't get my dang massage. 

It's petty, but dang it!

Katie, it's not petty; it truly stinks. The whole dang thing. 

that's a lot of what is driving this for us, we have healthcare workers on our street that we're friends with. And they tell me what's going on. And it's not good. 

(how is your son doing, by the way? I do hope at least he's not got a horrid case of it....)

But yep, that's exactly how this feels. We had so many things ripped away last year, and now we had this thing back, and now.......we don't. Doesn't matter if it's "just" theater tickets or "just" a massage....it's still a loss of sorts.  I hope you are able to get some relief for your back soon, one way or the other. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

It's petty, but dang it!

Not petty. You're in pain and you want it to stop. That's legit.

I finally felt safe going back to the chiropractor once I was vaccinated, to deal with shoulder and back pain that radiates into my arm and probably has a lot to do with a year full of stress and anxiety with too much time in front of the computer. I had to stop after a few sessions and didn't get to finish the treatment because I'm in the idiot state all the media are talking about and our Covid numbers are through the roof. I will not let an unmasked person who may or may not be vaccinated, in an office where nobody is masking, work on my body.

ETA: And I get this is the "petty" stuff. The small things that seemed within reach and now are snatched away again. I can't even get upset about the big stuff anymore - like not being able to go home and see my parents - because I don't have any energy left for that kind of grieving.

Edited by regentrude
  • Sad 4

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I am currently crying about it.  😞   Things were looking up rates were falling 4 out of the 7 of us were vaccinated.  Summer was supposed to be great and then the other kids could get their vaccine in Sept.

My kids are all dancers.  They haven just went back to in person ballet classes 3 weeks ago.  THe school is putting on a show that was cancelled in the midst of rehearsals.  We have to decide today if they are doing it.   We have been locked down so hard since 3-2020.  It doesn't seem like the right time to let up.  But when is the right time?  At first it was 2 weeks, the end of April, oh by summer, when summer is over, next year, the end of summer.....   If we hold off will it be better in a few months?  Or will it just have another variant? 

The school is doings very carefully.  Everyone masked (no matter of vaccine status), different casts for the shows that are kept apart (not rehearsing together), everyone 12 and up has to be vaccinated, and there will be testing.  But still I know it is a risk.  

But I also know that mental health is really really important.  I hate being a parent right now.  Making these choices.  Missing out on things that are normal.   And that there is now no light at the end of this tunnel.

Oh, it is so hard to be a parent during all of this. Yes.  We did make a mental health call all during where we allowed our kids to keep their D&D group in person (well, they took some time off, then resumed). We measured out 6 feet between seats, we switched to all individual packaged snacks, color coded serving utensils for the main food, one family group at a time at the table/fridge, hand sanitizer & wipes, etc.  but we allowed it. Because they all needed it, so much, and it was (for all of them) the one and only in person thing they were doing. 

I hope you're able to reach a good decision on the recital/show. That has to be so very hard. I'm so sorry. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I'm looking at 2 indoor events we have planned for the 1st week in October, one of which is to be our first indoor live theater experience since Covid started.  The other is a much-anticipated get-together with a group very dear to my kids (which only met once in the past 2 years).  I hope things will quiet down by October, but who knows ....

My kids are in sports and marching band, and public school (in person) starts in 3 weeks.  Starting tomorrow, they will be around 100+ kids/adults every day, all day.  Either we all get Delta soon, or we don't see my parents for a long time.  My parents are not in great health.  I just hope they out-last this stupid mess.

• Sad 3

Everyone in the whole world is in the same boat. Everyone everywhere

It messed up my ds17 and dd21 study

Ruined my grandmothers funeral

Made it so we could only have a last minute wedding service with immediate family for my only Dd after months and months of prep.

It is very hard to not feel very down about it. Hard to just focus on the moment and not get anxious. Hard to just live hour by hour and not wonder if at any hour there will be a snap lockdown. Absolutly impossible to plan further than 24 hours. 

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

I feel the same--except today I did the riskiest thing I've done during this entire pandemic. I went to a small bridal shower for a dear friend's daughter. I prayed about it. I'm vaccinated. I'm glad I went. I'm glad that sweet bride wasn't robbed of her shower.  I can isolate for awhile in case I was exposed today. 

• Like 2

I think it would be okay to go see Wicked. I am betting most people at the coop have not been staying away from things. I am unsure about Wicked, but the last show I saw in the theater (ballet), they had seats between each set of seats that sold.

• Like 2

However, on this note, I am thinking of not signing up for all those things I had planned to have us sign up for this fall. Fall goes so quickly and I am angry about our trip to Kidzania last week. The place was so crowded that it was wall to wall people and you could not even walk through there without bumping in to people. In the age of Covid, that should be illegal. Now I have a sick child today, with what I hope is just a cold.

I’m so sorry, it totally, completely sucks. The whole thing. I bought theater tickets for my adult kids for Hamilton next year as a surprise—they don’t know yet and will absolutely freak out when I tell them. But I haven’t wanted to tell them in case somehow this whole thing is unbelievably still going at that point and it gets cancelled. I’d love them to have it to look forward to, but also feel like it would be worse if they knew about it and then it got canceled. So, I feel your theater pain, although I realize yours is much worse because it’s now and I still have optimism that ours will be okay for 2022. We have the same kind of thing going with the younger kids and all their in person things for Fall. Back in spring we assumed it was going to be no problem and they were going to be able to finally have a normal year, but now it’s not looking that way at all 😔

40 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Yes, it’s bad here.  And my elderly, frail mother could not get vaccinated as she is housebound, and so I’m concerned about carrying it to her.  Ugh.

Where I am, they have services available to come to the house of the elderly to vaccinate them. Often through first responders, but I think there are also other services. Have you looked to see if there’s something like that?

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, KSera said:

Where I am, they have services available to come to the house of the elderly to vaccinate them. Often through first responders, but I think there are also other services. Have you looked to see if there’s something like that?

I did but it’s probably worth checking again as that was some time ago.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Yes, it’s bad here.  And my elderly, frail mother could not get vaccinated as she is housebound, and so I’m concerned about carrying it to her.  Ugh.

California had a program in June where they would vaccinate home bound seniors. They were using the services of the local fire department to do so. Would checking on that give her an opportunity to vaccinate?

ETA: @Carol in Cal. found the link to register to schedule in-home vaccination for homebound seniors: 

https://myturn.ca.gov/#3

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 7

It absolutely does suck. My heart hurts for everyone who is sad about the happy things they are having to give up. Again.

I don't know whether this makes it better for me or not, but this stupid depression leaves my ability to feel any kind of joy so blunted that I am not being knocked as sideways by this as I think I would otherwise be. 

My husband is scheduled to go to California to meet up with his brother and take care of some family stuff, and my husband floated the idea of me flying out to join him after they finish so we could go to the Sawdust Festival and Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach. I loved these events as a kid, and I've been feeling weirdly nostalgic about California--unusual for me--so it seemed like a good idea. What with juggling my schedule at work with the ridiculous number of doctor's appointments and counseling sessions I have in any given week plus the time I've needed to carve out to take my online class this summer, I don't have a lot of PTO banked, but we had carefully calibrated so that I could fly out there and we could have a decent amount of time to explore, and I had looked at tickets for the show . . . and then I started hearing more and more news coverage about not only Delta/Covid but also heat waves and droughts and wildfires . . . 

I sat my husband down and told him that, if it would make his experience of having to deal with the family stuff more pleasant to have something to look forward to when that was done, I was still up for going. However, if he was planning this trip mostly or even largely for my benefit, I was totally okay skipping it. I could see the writing on the wall that masking was going to be necessary again by the time we actually made the trip, and, no matter how much I enjoy a huge arts and crafts festival and anything theatre-ish, I know myself well enough to know that I won't be able to enjoy any of it if I have to do so while breathing through a mask and constantly fussing to keep my glasses from falling off my face and/or fogging up. Not to mention heat and wildfires are almost guaranteed to mean headaches for me. 

I felt terrible after both my husband and brother-in-law had made this whole plan and set the schedule to accommodate me, but it just felt really clear that this wasn't going to to be right summer to do this trip. 

When I stop to think about it, I recognize objectively that it sucks, but I can't actually muster the emotional energy to feel sorry for myself about it. 

So, yay?

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Everyone in the whole world is in the same boat. Everyone everywhere

It messed up my ds17 and dd21 study

Ruined my grandmothers funeral

Made it so we could only have a last minute wedding service with immediate family for my only Dd after months and months of prep.

It is very hard to not feel very down about it. Hard to just focus on the moment and not get anxious. Hard to just live hour by hour and not wonder if at any hour there will be a snap lockdown. Absolutly impossible to plan further than 24 hours. 

I do 100% know this. Truly. I hope I don't seem insensitive or as though I feel we somehow have it worse. We don't, and I realize we are fortunate that we do at least have the vaccine. I am grateful, so grateful, for that part. 

I'm so sorry it's taken so much from you. Big, big hugs. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Janeway said:

I think it would be okay to go see Wicked. I am betting most people at the coop have not been staying away from things. I am unsure about Wicked, but the last show I saw in the theater (ballet), they had seats between each set of seats that sold.

The theater has stated they will be operating at 100% capacity, no spacing. 

They are mandating masks, and have upgraded their ventalation systems and added HEPA filter units, but none of that makes me confident that the people seated around us, standing near us in entrance/exit/bathroom breaks/etc. will be wearing their masks correctly. 

2 hours ago, Frances said:

We’re currently re-evaluating all plans for the next three months, both big and small. It sucks so bad and my mood about everything covid has taken a serious nose dive in the last few days.

Yep; exactly that.  I'm sorry it's hitting you, too. 

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Did you check with the county? A lot of Bay Area counties are doing home vaccinations. It would be worth a check. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry. This whole thing has been so hard for many people. When I got my second shot in April, I was so happy. I thought covid was coming to an end. It has been disheartening to realize how wrong I was. 

My family also has tickets to see Wicked in a few weeks in Dallas. We are all fully vaxxed and everyone in the theater will be masked. At the moment we are not changing our plans. I haven't seen any evidence that sitting masked and vaxxed in an audience puts people at high risk for covid transmission. If data comes in that days otherwise, we'll reevaluate our plans. 

We have a list of musicals that we are planning to take our girls to over the next several months. We're not buying our tickets in advance because of covid uncertainty. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ddcrook said:

I'm sorry. This whole thing has been so hard for many people. When I got my second shot in April, I was so happy. I thought covid was coming to an end. It has been disheartening to realize how wrong I was. 

My family also has tickets to see Wicked in a few weeks in Dallas. We are all fully vaxxed and everyone in the theater will be masked. At the moment we are not changing our plans. I haven't seen any evidence that sitting masked and vaxxed in an audience puts people at high risk for covid transmission. If data comes in that days otherwise, we'll reevaluate our plans. 

We have a list of musicals that we are planning to take our girls to over the next several months. We're not buying our tickets in advance because of covid uncertainty. 

Gosh, now I am flashing back to getting my shot in March and April.  I was crying I was so happy and relieved thinking we made it and it would be over.  I somehow feel worse than I did last year this time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I did but it was much earlier looks like there is a little more hope now.

It took while here, but they are absolutely bringing the vaccine to anyone who struggles to get out. I think that's the case in many areas when it wasn't even two months ago.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, TheReader said:

I do 100% know this. Truly. I hope I don't seem insensitive or as though I feel we somehow have it worse. We don't, and I realize we are fortunate that we do at least have the vaccine. I am grateful, so grateful, for that part. 

I'm so sorry it's taken so much from you. Big, big hugs. 

You don't come across as insensitive at all. 

Some moments it is easy to get feelings of dispair

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheReader said:

I think you mean that it won't be any more infectious than teaching in person, and if I taught in a public school, I'd say you are spot on. 

BUT, I teach K, 1st, and 2nd in a small little co-op. I have a max of 12 students, and I get to control the covid protocols in my classroom. So, the kids will still be distanced(ish), my room is REALLY BIG, I have good air flow in there, and I do trust my families to not send their kids with even a sniffle (they all did super good with this last year). 

Whereas, at the theater, they state they are operating at 100% capacity, and while they are requiring masks, if Dallas is anything like Houston, that won't necessarily mean properly worn masks. And close quarters. For a long time. Plus staying in a hotel. Plus possibly/probably eating out/needing to figure out food. Plus the sheer multitudes of people.  There's really no way at all to social distance in entering, exiting, bathroom break during intermission, etc. 

And then, frankly, if one of my kiddos were to give it to me.....I'm okay with that, and will handle that. If *I* were to pick it up in Dallas at the theater, and then come home asymptomatic and give it to one of my kiddos.......I'm not at all okay with that, at all. 

Ah. Yes that’s entirely different. I probably wouldn’t go either then. 

I feel that way. I'm vaccinated, immune compromised, living in one of the lowest vaccinated areas. I wear my mask anytime I go out. I've cut back on errand running, never got to make that outing date with friends. Ds & I were going to get new glasses this summer- I've already put it off from spring of 2020 when I originally planned to go. We just talked today and have opted to wait a few more months to see what happens. 

Ds graduated college this spring and is holding off on getting a job because so many places are anti-mask.

• Sad 4

Same position. We have tix to see Wicked in NY this October (which felt safer but not so much anymore). We have missed our activities, holiday/birthday theater trips, and family so much and we’re frantically trying to cram as much/as many good things/visits into this summer as we can.  I’m exhausted and bitter.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes, my daughter was just talking about that.  Her senior year of high school crappy: her school closed summer before her senior year.  I tired to keep the senior class together, held things every month. They had raised money for their senior trip and we had it booked. Then Covid hit and everything was cancelled.  We did manage to have a graduation ceremony, barely in late summer. 

She is a musical theater major. Her school had one video production. Masks, social distancing. She did make some friends. Choir went on. ( Practiced outside, always wore masks, etc.) She got some good dance training. But of course no homecoming, no student activities. She was so excited about the coming year being more normal. 

She said that she knows she is being selfish. This virus has killed people and caused people long term consequences, cost people jobs, etc. She also said it is hard because before she went to college it was, this will be better your 2nd semester and normal your sophomore year. Then...it will be much better your sophomore year...ok..maybe your junior year of college...

I don't blame her for being discouraged. As a mom, with it looking like maybe vaccination doesn't prevent hospitalization ( boy I hope that Israel data is wrong), now I get to worry about her getting it being 14 hours away.  Again. 

Oh, and she was supposed to see the musical as well and has decided against going. She has seen it before, but still. I am sorry, OP. I get it.

I am so tired of this.

• Like 1

I tried to explain what is going on with Delta to dd who has been in a news free bubble at boot camp since the beginning of June. She's in Florida now and looking forward to being allowed off base. But, with delta, it is likely that they will go back to a full lockdown.

I realized how ridiculous the whole situation is when I had to back up and explain how we got to this point. Dd was incredulous. When she left, Covid was almost over and the fall was going to be normal. Now Florida has an all time high of hospitalized Covid patients. Seeing it through fresh eyes reinforced what a tragedy this is.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

4 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Yes, my daughter was just talking about that.  Her senior year of high school crappy: her school closed summer before her senior year.  I tired to keep the senior class together, held things every month. They had raised money for their senior trip and we had it booked. Then Covid hit and everything was cancelled.  We did manage to have a graduation ceremony, barely in late summer. 

She is a musical theater major. Her school had one video production. Masks, social distancing. She did make some friends. Choir went on. ( Practiced outside, always wore masks, etc.) She got some good dance training. But of course no homecoming, no student activities. She was so excited about the coming year being more normal. 

She said that she knows she is being selfish. This virus has killed people and caused people long term consequences, cost people jobs, etc. She also said it is hard because before she went to college it was, this will be better your 2nd semester and normal your sophomore year. Then...it will be much better your sophomore year...ok..maybe your junior year of college...

I don't blame her for being discouraged. As a mom, with it looking like maybe vaccination doesn't prevent hospitalization ( boy I hope that Israel data is wrong), now I get to worry about her getting it being 14 hours away.  Again. 

Oh, and she was supposed to see the musical as well and has decided against going. She has seen it before, but still. I am sorry, OP. I get it.

I am so tired of this.

She's not being selfish; it's all so real to all of us. I'm sorry she's losing out on so much. 

And yes, my neighbor's work in the hospital systems, one of the largest ones in Houston, and they have a much higher "vaccinated, but with Covid" hospital rate than what the US says the national numbers are. I forget the exact percentage, but it was 10% or higher. 

Now....underlying conditions? Age? Other factors?? Hopefully. But still. 

I will pray your DD stays safe & healthy at school. 

22 hours ago, TheReader said:

Katie, it's not petty; it truly stinks. The whole dang thing. 

that's a lot of what is driving this for us, we have healthcare workers on our street that we're friends with. And they tell me what's going on. And it's not good. 

(how is your son doing, by the way? I do hope at least he's not got a horrid case of it....)

But yep, that's exactly how this feels. We had so many things ripped away last year, and now we had this thing back, and now.......we don't. Doesn't matter if it's "just" theater tickets or "just" a massage....it's still a loss of sorts.  I hope you are able to get some relief for your back soon, one way or the other. 

Thank you. I WAS doing long hot baths with muscle soak, but with DS positive, the bathtub is in his bubble. Sigh. I do have massage oil with arnica, and exercises to do, etc. It was doing better but I mowed the lawn yesterday, after cleaning out garage the day before, and then was stuck in the car for a long time today trying to go get tested and it hurts right now. 

In good news, DS22 has had zero symptoms other than loss of smell and maybe congestion, but he’s always congested from allergies and he said it isn’t any worse than normal. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Thank you. I WAS doing long hot baths with muscle soak, but with DS positive, the bathtub is in his bubble. Sigh. I do have massage oil with arnica, and exercises to do, etc. It was doing better but I mowed the lawn yesterday, after cleaning out garage the day before, and then was stuck in the car for a long time today trying to go get tested and it hurts right now. 

In good news, DS22 has had zero symptoms other than loss of smell and maybe congestion, but he’s always congested from allergies and he said it isn’t any worse than normal. 

I am so glad your son is doing well.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mathnerd said:

. I was looking forward to simple things like buying groceries and clothes… but I am back to making Amazon stock holders richer by shopping online!

Trinethra is rather deserted. Costco is rather crowded. My husband mainly shop at Nordstrom Rack for clothes and it is less crowded before noon.  The newest Whole Foods in our area is still rather deserted. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

It absolutely does suck. My heart hurts for everyone who is sad about the happy things they are having to give up. Again.

I don't know whether this makes it better for me or not, but this stupid depression leaves my ability to feel any kind of joy so blunted that I am not being knocked as sideways by this as I think I would otherwise be. 

My husband is scheduled to go to California to meet up with his brother and take care of some family stuff, and my husband floated the idea of me flying out to join him after they finish so we could go to the Sawdust Festival and Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach. I loved these events as a kid, and I've been feeling weirdly nostalgic about California--unusual for me--so it seemed like a good idea. What with juggling my schedule at work with the ridiculous number of doctor's appointments and counseling sessions I have in any given week plus the time I've needed to carve out to take my online class this summer, I don't have a lot of PTO banked, but we had carefully calibrated so that I could fly out there and we could have a decent amount of time to explore, and I had looked at tickets for the show . . . and then I started hearing more and more news coverage about not only Delta/Covid but also heat waves and droughts and wildfires . . . 

I sat my husband down and told him that, if it would make his experience of having to deal with the family stuff more pleasant to have something to look forward to when that was done, I was still up for going. However, if he was planning this trip mostly or even largely for my benefit, I was totally okay skipping it. I could see the writing on the wall that masking was going to be necessary again by the time we actually made the trip, and, no matter how much I enjoy a huge arts and crafts festival and anything theatre-ish, I know myself well enough to know that I won't be able to enjoy any of it if I have to do so while breathing through a mask and constantly fussing to keep my glasses from falling off my face and/or fogging up. Not to mention heat and wildfires are almost guaranteed to mean headaches for me. 

I felt terrible after both my husband and brother-in-law had made this whole plan and set the schedule to accommodate me, but it just felt really clear that this wasn't going to to be right summer to do this trip. 

When I stop to think about it, I recognize objectively that it sucks, but I can't actually muster the emotional energy to feel sorry for myself about it. 

So, yay?

If it makes you feel better, we haven't had any of those problems [yet] down here in So Cal so far this year, and certainly not anywhere near Laguna. I mean, yeah, it doesn't rain much, but it usually doesn't rain much. Most of the issues have been in Nor Cal and in lightning-prone, rural areas (not coastal areas, where we see lightning strikes every couple of years). They are under some water restrictions in Nor Cal (I don't know the extent of them, but we don't have any of that down here in SD) and we haven't had any air quality issues in So Cal because of the fires (it's all blown east). Knock wood, but So Cal has thus far been entirely spared thus far this year. But yes, you would likely have to mask at Pageant of the Masters, even though it is outdoors, simply because of Delta and your proximity to others in the bowl. Although, I don't know if OC has reinstated their mask mandate. They have a lot of anti-maskers in OC, so it's a more difficult environment for mask enforcement there. Sending you lots of love. POM is one of my all-time favs as well. I used to go every year when I lived in Newport. So, I really feel you.