Menu

Spanish Grammar Supplement

I'm trying to self-teach Spanish using online programs, but they all seem to lack formal grammar teaching. Does anyone have a recommendation for a book, workbook, or online resource to explicitly study grammar? Preferably something that covers things beyond present tense. 

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, silver said:

I'm trying to self-teach Spanish using online programs, but they all seem to lack formal grammar teaching. Does anyone have a recommendation for a book, workbook, or online resource to explicitly study grammar? Preferably something that covers things beyond present tense. 

Thanks!

The Practice Makes Perfect series is pretty good for adult learners.  There are general books, and ones that focus on specific problem areas.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

The Practice Makes Perfect series is pretty good for adult learners.  There are general books, and ones that focus on specific problem areas.

I second this recommendation! 

ETA:  

My daughter used this site a lot for grammar:  https://studyspanish.com/

Other books she really liked  (but I don't remember if they have a lot of grammar)

Easy Spanish Step by Step
Spanish Verb Tenses 
Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

Also, just for verb tense drill, once you've learned what they are, when to use them,  and the irregular, but need some drill to get them to stick, conjuguemos.com is good.

I'm also on a Discord server that has a ton of free live classes (mostly Spanish, but other languages too).  Linguallama.com .

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, silver said:

Thanks for the input! I'll take a look at the Practice Makes Perfect books.

@Ethel Mertz, do you know of apps that cover grammar? DuoLingo, Mango, and Transparent (the ones I've looked at/use), don't see to explicitly cover grammar.

Definitely DuoLingo. There is plenty of grammar in the tips section of DuoLingo. I also use a conjugation app (ConjuGato). Also, Busuu app.

2 hours ago, silver said:

Thanks for the input! I'll take a look at the Practice Makes Perfect books.

@Ethel Mertz, do you know of apps that cover grammar? DuoLingo, Mango, and Transparent (the ones I've looked at/use), don't see to explicitly cover grammar.

Duolingo has mini grammar lessons if you click on 'tips' for each lesson/circle.

1 hour ago, silver said:

I had tried Duolingo a few years ago and didn't see grammar. They should make this more obvious!

Yeah, "Tips" doesn't necessarily tell people that's where the grammar is!  Most lessons have them - just click on the "Tips" button over "Start" 

image.png.ff63842f8b882bbaff07378eedb778d1.png

And it gives you a whole little grammar lesson.  I always read before starting that circle's lessons.

image.thumb.png.04218f74b95ecbf9c082392d0a1c6df8.png

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2