Menu

Book a Week 2021 - BW31: Fictional Librarians - Lindsay Norris

Robin M

Happy Sunday! Since the majority of our readers live in areas several hours ahead of me and I’m late to bed, late to rise on Sunday, I will be posting Saturday night before I go to bed.  

Happy Friendship Day!  Cheers to all our reading buddies who have made our bookish adventures entertaining and illuminating.  Welcome to August which is also Family Fun Month, Admit Your Happy Month, National Picnic Month as well as Romance Month.  Our fictional librarian of the month is Lindsay Norris from the Library Lover's Mystery series written by Jenn McKinlay.  Lindsay is the director of the Briar Creek Library who started crafternoon Thursday for patrons to do crafts and discuss books at the same time and turns into an amateur sleuth when her friend becomes a prime suspect in a murder. 

There are a variety of ways to complete this challenge with plenty of rabbit trails.

·         Read a book with one or more of the following (but not limited to) and have fun exploring:

·         Spell out the first and/or last name of the character's name - one book per letter from the title on the cover.

·         Spell out the first and/or last name of the author - one book per letter.

·         Read one or more books in the series.

·         Read any book written by the author.

·         Follow in a character's footsteps and read a book set in the country or time period of the story.

·         Follow in the author's footsteps and read a book set in their place or time of birth.

·         Read a book with the first or last name of the character or author in the title.

Happy Trails! 

Count of Monte Cristo Readalong

Chapter 76. Progress of Cavalcanti the Younger

Chapter 77. Haydée

Chapter 78. We hear From Yanina

Link to week 30

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as share your book reviews with other readers around the globe.

• Like 5

Currently reading J.R. Ward’s Claimed, the first book in the Lair of the Wolven, set in the world of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. 

“Lydia Susi is passionate about protecting wolves in their natural habitat. When a hotel chain develops a tract of land next to the preserve, Lydia is one of the most vocal opponents of the project—and becomes a target.

One night, a shadowy figure threatens Lydia’s life in the forest, and a new hire at the Wolf Study Project comes from out of nowhere to save her. Daniel Joseph is both mysterious, and someone she intrinsically wants to trust. But is he hiding something?

As the stakes get higher, and one of Lydia’s colleagues is murdered, she must decide how far she will go to protect the wolves. Then a shocking revelation about Daniel challenges Lydia’s reality in ways she could never have predicted. Some fates demand courage, others require even more, with no guarantees. Is she destined to have true love... or will a soul-shattering loss ruin her forever?”

Haven’t made much progress in the 14th and last book in the Wheel of Time series, A Memory of Light which will probably take me a while since it’s a chunky book.   

• Like 4

Thank you for the thread Robin!  I read three (thank you Goodreads!) of the Library Lover’s Cozies a few years ago and enjoyed them all!  They are so popular that I think I simply forgot to get the next on on hold!😉. Anyway I just figured out my next one and plan to resume reading when my hold arrives!

I am actually up to date on my librarian name spelling but haven’t updated my master list in a while which means I haven’t posted here either.  I will try and get that done this week!

I spent a significant portion of my reading time making my way through A Midsummer’s Nights Romance https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53456439-a-midsummer-night-s-romance which was a huge historical regency romance centering around a masquerade ball with lots of new to authors contributing their own story.  It was over 1000 pages and I had anticipated skipping many but only skipped one.  I enjoyed it and have quite a list of new authors to explore!

I also read Little Black Book by Kate Carlisle which is the 15th in a favorite cozy series https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55333957-little-black-book. The main character is a bookbinder which I find fascinating!  This one wasn’t as good as normal as the author tried to take on too many settings and the killer was a bit far fetched but I read and enjoyed every word.  

I was/am listening to The Personal Librarian about JP Morgan’s librarian and am several hours in. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55333938-the-personal-librarian  My hold on Ben Aaronovitch’s The Furthest Station appeared and I took a break to listen to it and don’t have the desire to finish The Personal Librarian.  I feel like I know all that matters and the book is rather repetitive.  My only regret If I decide not to finish it is for my 10’s as it fit two categories!  I will hang onto it a few more days but started something new and fun, Nearly Departed in Deadwood https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10201216-nearly-departed-in-deadwood?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=nijYOADSaS&rank=1 which I found thanks to a humorous cozy list published by Kareni last week.  Only a couple hours in but I like it and suspect I will read them all!

• Like 3

I'm working on a few. Heather McGhee's The Sum of Us is very good (we, as a country, can't have nice things like universal healthcare largely due to racism). On the lighter side, I'm also about halfway through the next Bridgerton book (Francesca). And I have started another one for work, Routines for Reasoning. I did finish one yesterday--the graphic novel March book one, about John Lewis. I will continue the next two at some point, but I think I put this one on hold in January, so it may be awhile. I didn't want to put the others on hold because I want to read them in order. The library is hitting me with several at once as it seems to like to do. Ghost Map arrived with March, but I think I will try to get The Sum of Us done first. And Andy Weir's latest is waiting for me too. The Warmth of Other Suns will remain on hold while I hit the library books. I do feel like I have to hurry and get all reading done this summer before the new school year starts!

• Like 4

Hello everyone!

I didn't finish anything this week but did make good progress with The Count of Monte Cristo - I'm up to ch. 49 at this point and have a good handle on what is going on and who everyone is, lol.

I'm in the middle of a very funny memoir - The Curse of the Boyfriend Sweater: Essays on Crafting by Alanna Okun and am about to start A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton. I need to hurry with it as it is due back at the library in 4 days.

@Ali in OR I read Ghost Map a few years ago - I look forward to hear what you think of it!

• Like 5

I listened to the audio of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. I was surprised how the story and description of Mr Hyde differed from what I'd always envisioned in my head. My 8 year old listened to parts of it with me and we had good some good conversations about how people are not all good or all evil. 

I'm looking for something a little lighter and less angsty before diving into Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Any suggestions?

9 hours ago, Robin M said:

Haven’t made much progress in the 14th and last book in the Wheel of Time series, A Memory of Light which will probably take me a while since it’s a chunky book.   

I started reading the Wheel of Time a million years ago, then stopped when Robert Jordan died. This series is why I don't start book series that aren't complete! 

• Like 4

I enjoyed reading Concealed: The Taellaneth - Book 1by Vanessa Nelson which is the first book in a five book fantasy series. I've already moved on to the next book in the series.

"Days away from freedom. One last task. No one cares if she lives.

Oath-bound to the arrogant Erith in exchange for her life, Arrow just wants her freedom. Then the Erith set her one last task, perhaps the most difficult she has ever faced; investigate the sudden death of a high-ranking shape-changer, the Erith’s ancient enemies.

The shape-changers believe the Erith are guilty of murder. And Arrow is in the middle of potential new war between the old enemies. Not only is her freedom at risk, but so is her life. It will take all of her training and skill with magic to live long enough to uncover the truth in time to avert a bloodbath.

Concealed is the first book of Arrow’s story, set in an alternate world where magic and technology exist side by side. If you like your fantasy mixed with mystery and spells, then you’ll love this debut series by Vanessa Nelson."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I'm starting to feel as though this is my own personal thread!

My husband and I went on a road trip and attended the wedding of a young woman whom we've known since birth. After the wedding, we spent a couple of days with our good friends, the parents of the bride, before heading home. We had a good time. In the car, we listened to Lake Silence by Anne Bishop. We'd both read the book previously, but we enjoyed listening to it. 

"In this thrilling and suspenseful fantasy set in the world of the New York Times best-selling Others series, an inn owner and her shape-shifting lodger find themselves enmeshed in danger and dark secrets. 

Human laws do not apply in the territory controlled by the Others--vampires, shape-shifters, and even deadlier paranormal beings. And this is a fact that humans should never, ever forget.... 

After her divorce, Vicki DeVine took over a rustic resort near Lake Silence, in a human town that is not human controlled. Towns such as Vicki's don't have any distance from the Others, the dominant predators who rule most of the land and all of the water throughout the world. And when a place has no boundaries, you never really know what is out there watching you. 

Vicki was hoping to find a new career and a new life. But when her lodger, Aggie Crowe--one of the shape-shifting Others--discovers a murdered man, Vicki finds trouble instead. The detectives want to pin the death on her, despite the evidence that nothing human could have killed the victim. As Vicki and her friends search for answers, ancient forces are roused by the disturbance in their domain. They have rules that must not be broken--and all the destructive powers of nature at their command."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

@KareniI’m glad you enjoyed your trip to the wedding!  The others is such a great series for rereads.  I recently saw that there is another book in the world of the others coming in March called Crowbones which I am looking forward to. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51469740-crowbones?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=VUG0HpcdUk&rank=1

I have been reading cozy mysteries and romances.  I finished the first in Victoria Gilbert’s series set at a B and B https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51775174-booked-for-death and the second in a new series set in the southwest of England  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50892539-murder-at-blackwater-bend.  I plan to continue reading both series. I also spotted a two book series of Susan Mallery’s from the 90’s in my Overdrive and spent a rainy afternoon reading romances.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mumto2 said:

@KareniI’m glad you enjoyed your trip to the wedding!

Thank you. We definitely had a good time.

5 hours ago, mumto2 said:

...I recently saw that there is another book in the world of the others coming in March called Crowbones which I am looking forward to. 

As am I!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

@Karen Glad you have a nice trip and I too love revisiting Anne Bishop's books set in the other world.

Yesterday was James 22nd birthday and he was very pleased to receive Dr Who: The Movie with the regeneration of the doctor to Paul McGann.  Eric Roberts made for a silly over the top Master. 

I finished Jenn McKinley's first book Books can be Deceiving which was a fun cozy murder mystery and look forward to reading more in the series. 

Claimed (#1 Lair of the Wolven) by J.R. Ward set in the world of the BDB was a hot mess which is disappointing.   Characters were one dimensional and too many plot threads left in the air and of course ended in a cliff hanger. I most liked won't be reading any more of the wolven series. 

Currently reading The Invisible Husband of Frick Island by Colleen Oakley which I'm totally enjoying.  Love the characters and the mystery involved.

"Piper Parrish's life on Frick Island—a tiny, remote town smack in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay—is nearly perfect. Well, aside from one pesky detail: Her darling husband, Tom, is dead. When Tom's crab boat capsized and his body wasn't recovered, Piper, rocked to the core, did a most peculiar thing: carried on as if her husband was not only still alive, but right there beside her, cooking him breakfast, walking him to the docks each morning, meeting him for their standard Friday night dinner date at the One-Eyed Crab. And what were the townspeople to do but go along with their beloved widowed Piper?

Anders Caldwell’s career is not going well. A young ambitious journalist, he’d rather hoped he’d be a national award-winning podcaster by now, rather than writing fluff pieces for a small town newspaper. But when he gets an assignment to travel to the remote Frick Island and cover their boring annual Cake Walk fundraiser, he stumbles upon a much more fascinating tale: an entire town pretending to see and interact with a man who does not actually exist. Determined it’s the career-making story he’s been needing for his podcast, Anders returns to the island to begin covert research and spend more time with the enigmatic Piper—but he has no idea out of all the lives he’s about to upend, it’s his that will change the most."

• Like 2