Menu

Art program that actually teaches you to draw?

Night Elf

Is there such a thing? My ds25 wants to learn to draw but we've been unsuccessful in finding him a tutor. He tried beginning drawing classes in college because the advisor told him they were designed for true beginners who knew nothing. Well, that turned out not to be true. In the second class of each course, the students were working on stuff they all knew how to do and my ds had no clue. In one class he gave up, packed up and left in the middle of class. He was so disappointed. I tried buying him books on how to draw but they aren't what he's looking for. He wants to eventually become a graphics design artist of video games. It is his dream and it hurts my heart to think his dream is too big. I remember buying a homeschooling art program when my kids were little and it started off with drawing, but I can't remember the name of the program. I'd appreciate any assistance anyone can offer. I've tried asking for help in my local facebook group and got one response. She said her friend could teach my ds and told me how to reach this friend. It was through instagram. So I sent a message and she never responded. So that avenue didn't pan out. Ideas??

He doesn't care if the program is for kids. He just wants to learn the basics and grow from there.

The best way to learn to draw is to draw every day. I like Danny Gregory’s blog. He taught himself how to draw. He has online classes, too (I don’t know if he teaches them or others do). https://www.dannygregory.com

I’d encourage your son to keep a sketchbook. It doesn’t need to be fancy- it could just be a cheap book and a pencil - just something to mess around with, no pressure.

• Like 3

My son is using YouTube tutorials to learn, so that may also be a good resource. Surprisingly, he uses a lot of Bob Ross tutorials, and just draws instead of paints. 

The main homeschool resource I remember from back in the day was Mark Kissler's Draw Squad (I probably have his last name wrong) or something like that, but I've no clue what's out now that might be good. 

• Like 2

I second everything in Rosie's comment.

Drawing with Children by Mona Brookes actually taught me a lot about how to draw. I'm no great artist but my skills did improve while I was going through that book with my kids when they were little. I'm not going to be entering any art contests but I can draw more than just stick figures now and have it be recognizable to others lol.

Don't forget to check the library! They usually have tons of drawing books in both the kids section and the adults section.

I also second the suggestions for Youtube. Mark Kistler, as mentioned above, has many videos on there as well as many others.

My youngest son enjoys watching and drawing along with the Art for Kids Hub Youtube channel. That man has a serious gift for teaching others how to draw. I would definitely have your son check him out.

14 hours ago, TheReader said:

My son is using YouTube tutorials to learn, so that may also be a good resource. Surprisingly, he uses a lot of Bob Ross tutorials, and just draws instead of paints. 

The main homeschool resource I remember from back in the day was Mark Kissler's Draw Squad (I probably have his last name wrong) or something like that, but I've no clue what's out now that might be good. 

Mark Kistler’s books are good. He also has this one that is geared toward adult beginners, though I think his other books are fun and are really geared toward all ages. 

https://smile.amazon.com/You-Can-Draw-30-Days/dp/0738212415/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Mark+kistler&qid=1627834631&sr=8-2

He has several videos on YouTube and he also has some type of subscription class on his website. 
https://www.draw3d.com

• Like 1

There are so many different styles of drawing, has he decided which style he likes or wants to learn? That might be your first step - researching the different styles. Cartoon , anime, 2d animation , realistic plus many more.  Watching different YouTube videos in each interested field would help figure out which program to go with.

We used the book from the local library;  Learn to Draw, D.C. DuBosque. Easy step-by-step on how to draw perspective, like when things are far away, and up close. When my daughter went on to high school a few years later, her art teacher was impressed with her skills and wanted to know how I taught her perspective drawing...just a book from the library! 😉