Menu

Well-Trained Bodies- August

Soror

10 hours ago, SKL said:

Say, does anyone have any wisdom about a middle aged woman trying to run? 

I used to be a natural fast runner, but I never did it with any discipline.  Now I want to incorporate that into my life, but the last time I tried doing it regularly, it hurt my knees so much.  I might have to accept that I'm too old to run.  But maybe there is some way to do it that would work for me.  Thoughts?

By regularly, do you mean running everyday? That hurt my legs, too. I used to run maximum 3x/wk when I was training for a marathon, and for the longer runs I ran on a softer, smooth surface like a dirt road or trails without rocks and roots. Running is a great sport, but there is a lot of pounding on the body, so ensuring you have good footwear, spacing out the runs, and choosing a softer surface can all really help reduce leg pain. 

Now the only running I do is on a tennis court chasing after balls. 😃 I'm playing on hard-court surface, and eventually I'll have to join a club with clay courts to save my legs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

By regularly, do you mean running everyday? That hurt my legs, too. I used to run maximum 3x/wk when I was training for a marathon, and for the longer runs I ran on a softer, smooth surface like a dirt road or trails without rocks and roots. 

Yes. I run two or three times a week, in good shoes on a soft surface. On the advice of my physio I run on the balls of my feet to reduce jarring.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Soror said:

Starting new thyroid med today, wish me luck.....

Today is active rest day. Will be doing short (10-15 min) core workout, light cardio and/or walk.

Good luck!

----------------

My clicky hip seems to be improving.  Yesterday I did another dog walk and hip stretch yoga.  Today I have a medical checkup (should be annual but last year's was cancelled) and the hospital carpark is very small.  I'll park 30 minutes away and walk in, so that will be my exercise.  Probably yoga before bed too.

• Like 3

Since back home, it's been hot, I've been busy with my paper and I've only kept up daily walking and garden weeding. Today I'll be canoeing with a couple girl friends, though. I can't wait! 

@Laura Corin All the best at your medical appt. So glad your clicky hip is improving. My hip is feeling a little weird as well. It could be from overdoing the kayaking last week, or maybe from too much sitting this week. I'll have to do some stretching to see if I can help it out. 

@Soror Good luck with the new meds! 

• Like 3

Bit of a headache yesterday and feeling a little funny. I'm sure an adjustment to the new meds. Here's hoping that soon I'm feeling better. I've not felt great since the beginning of last week- after I worked for days in grass clippings (I'm allergic)- then onto my period and family and other stress. I was pushing myself to try and do more but the last 3 days I've decided to just go slower. I'm doing my workouts the best I can and keeping up around the house but haven't taken any walks and am laying around much more than usual. I'm just fatigued- not sure if that is residual stress or thyroid but I am. 

So- focusing in on things I know to help- good whole foods more fruit and vegs (slacked some with period cravings and stress over weekend). Trying to get sleep but last night I woke up with that off feeling and then there was a huge storm so I was worried about ds driving home from work.

Today is full body strength- this is usually a hard workout- I'll probably back up on the weights today. I've been pushing myself for increases but had such bad DOMS yesterday. 

Stretching and rolling- I'd slacked on this and am feeling it!

• Like 3

Canoeing yesterday was really nice and relaxing. Excellent weather, too. This evening I'm playing doubles tennis with dh. I'm trying to get in some short walks with the dog as well. It's really hot and humid outside during the day, and wearing all the fur makes it tough on him. 😉 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Soror said:

Still not feeling well. Really hoping I start to turn the corner and feel better with this new med instead of worse. I don't know if I'll be able to exercise today.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everything settles down soon.

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

I played over 2 hrs of tennis last evening in hot and humid conditions. The weather is less humid today, but I'm in 'power writing mode' for my final paper, so no fun exercise time for me. 😒 

You can do it!

------

Just a good walk today after a big lunch of tempura smoked prawns at a coastal smoked fish shack.  Supper was a herby omelette, a big green salad including fresh peas gleaned from a harvested field, and sautéed mushrooms with home-made wild garlic pesto.

Tomorrow I hope to work in the garden a fair bit. The recent rain has caused the weeds to flourish.

• Like 3

I started feeling better yesterday and by the end of the day felt pretty good. Hoping that continues and I keep feeling better.

I didn't do any official exercise but cleaned around the house like crazy as it needed it. Ended with 11k steps of just cleaning.

Today is strength day- lower body IIRC.

• Like 3

Hello again, all.

Since participation on the daily movement thread has dwindled significantly, the few of us who were still posting over there have decided to discontinue that thread and crash your party.

My goals have stayed the same for a while:

• Log the equivalent of 14,000 steps every day. (I'm not super picky or precise about this. My Fitbit counts time spent on the stationary bike as steps, for example, and I just go with it.)
  • Walk at least 3K every morning.
  • Do at least 20 minutes of strength and stretching exercises six days a week.

I'm also working on some challenges as part of my daily walking goals:

• Run Across America Summer Splash - 500K before Labor Day
  • Great American Adventure - How far can I make it across the U.S. during the year?
  • Walking the West Orange Trail - Personal challenge to walk the length of the trail--in sections--before September 22

Today is not starting well. I didn't get enough sleep, forced myself out of bed late and had to cut my morning walk with the dog short. We managed only 2.6K. I did do about 25 minutes of strength and stretch, except that I forgot to grab the resistance band from the drawer before I got down on the floor and decided I just didn't have the time or motivation to get it. So, the clamshells were done without resistance today.

I'll need an extra-long evening walk or something else to get back on track for the day.

Summer Splash Challenge Update: 391.2 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 170 Days
West Orange Trail: 15.65 of 22 miles

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Soror That's great news! So happy for you that you've feeling better!!

@Jenny in Florida  Welcome back! Your goals sound great. Hope you get a better sleep tonight.

@Ali in OR Hope you had a wonderful visit over the weekend.

@Laura Corin How is your garden coming along? Have you made all the adjustments you wanted to?  My yard was overflowing in weeds, so I dove in and ripped out a bunch without putting on long sleeves. My arms were covered in red welts from my allergies. Lesson learned - long sleeves is a must. 😉

--------------------------------------------------------

I finished the paper yesterday and am just doing the final edits now. I went for a lovely bike ride down to the river last night. It was so good to get outside again after a weekend being stuck on the computer. 😄

• Like 2

@Jenny in Floridawelcome to you and all daily movement folks.

@wintermomyou are so close to finishing! Eta the garden will take a few years to get right, I think. I don't want to rush at it - I'm enjoying the leisurely feeling of not having to do too much.

@SororI'm glad you are feeling better

@Ali in OR nothing wrong with fun eats!

---    

I'm off work today so I took an eleven-mile hike, first to the reservoir and then connecting up some other tracks to make a loop. I went past this 16th century Rapunzel tower - it's actually in the middle of the farmyard of a working farm, but it looks remote from this side. 

20210816_144034.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

@wintermomyou are so close to finishing! Eta the garden will take a few years to get right, I think. I don't want to rush at it - I'm enjoying the leisurely feeling of not having to do too much.

---    

I'm off work today so I took an eleven-mile hike, first to the reservoir and then connecting up some other tracks to make a loop. I went past this 16th century Rapunzel tower - it's actually in the middle of the farmyard of a working farm, but it looks remote from this side. 

20210816_144034.jpg

That is a pretty amazing feature in a farmyard. Around here it's usually rusted out old tractors and trucks that date back to the 20th century. 😄  Is "Rapunzel tower" an actual term, or is this a helpful Disney reference for us North Americans? 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wintermom said:

That is a pretty amazing feature in a farmyard. Around here it's usually rusted out old tractors and trucks that date back to the 20th century. 😄  Is "Rapunzel tower" an actual term, or is this a helpful Disney reference for us North Americans? 😉

That was just how it struck me, as it stood in the woods. They are normally known as tower houses and are pretty common around here. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

---    

20210816_144034.jpg

Thanks for the welcome.

And, wow, that is a gorgeous photo. I'm so envious of the scenery you have available on your perambulations!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Yay! I handed in my final paper, and then went to a great tennis skills clinic run by an old grad school friend of dh and I. Now I'm celebrating with some delicious Lindt chocolate. 😃

Congratulations! Definitely worthy of some chocolate.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

Do people live in them or store stuff, maybe private "museums?" 

This one is a oddity  - it was remodeled in the 17thC in such a way that it's difficult to live in, and is now just preserved by Historic Scotland.  You can borrow a key to visit. A lot are ruined but some are lived in. Because they are historic buildings you often can't cut new windows, so they tend to be gloomy.

• Like 2

@Laura CorinLovely photo, that was a nice long hike, how long did it take?

@wintermomYa, for the paper!!! 

@Jenny in Florida you are welcome as always! You always do a great job making goals, it is inspiring.

@Ali in ORI hope you enjoyed the food and get back in the swing of things easily.

@Noreen ClaireHow are doing with your challenge?

I did my strength work yesterday didn't quite feel 100% but pretty good. Did not get in a walk in the am as dd1 had an appointment in the am. Hoping to walk this am and have upperbody strength and core this morning after classes. Continually feeling better fingers crossed it stays that way and I'm off this roller coaster.

• Like 4

I did manage to get my steps in yesterday, but only with a kind of grudgingly endured long-ish walk later in the evening than I was really into doing. 

Today started off a little better. Still not really enough sleep, but I got out the door a little earlier and walked just over 4K before coming home and spending about 25 minutes on stretches and strengthening (even remembering to get to resistance band out of the drawer). This puts me a little over halfway to my daily step goal. 

I'm hoping to be a little more creative, vary the routine a bit, to top off the steps for the day. We'll see, though. I have kind of a crowded schedule this afternoon/evening of work meetings, a doctor's appointment and being on deck to drive our bonus young adult to and/or from work. 

Summer Splash Challenge Update: 398.9 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 171 Days

• Like 5

@Soror I only averaged just under twenty-minute miles. I didn't want to push it as my hip has been funny recently.  It's rolling countryside but mostly not very steep. I gleaned some peas from a harvested field on the way back- they are so sweet when fresh.

Today I was off work again - just a couple of miles of dog walking, many hours reading in a hammock under the apple trees, and now I'm heading out for yoga on the lawn.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Soror said:

@Noreen ClaireHow are doing with your challenge?

I'm doing great, thanks! (I forgot all about posting here. Thanks for reminding me!) I'm on day 17 of 30, but haven't been able to get myself up earlier than 6am to start my workout.

Today was a 15 minute mobility workout, and then I went to the high school track and ran the straights/ walked the curves for a mile, which was all I could do. I had nearly completed a couch-to-5k program when I found out that I was pregnant with DS7, and I would like to be able to at get to that level of cardio fitness again.

• Like 6

HI all,

We are back from two weeks of up-and-down-and-all-around. Fabulous connection with a dear, dear friend who has been like a mom to me. Also visited a beloved niece, then dh's father who is on hospice, and finally moved ds to college. So glad to be landed and stable now. Weights and core this morning. I am engaged with PT for hip and back issues, so I am also trying to get on track with doing that super regularly each day rather than hit or miss. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

I'm doing great, thanks! (I forgot all about posting here. Thanks for reminding me!) I'm on day 17 of 30, but haven't been able to get myself up earlier than 6am to start my workout.

Today was a 15 minute mobility workout, and then I went to the high school track and ran the straights/ walked the curves for a mile, which was all I could do. I had nearly completed a couch-to-5k program when I found out that I was pregnant with DS7, and I would like to be able to at get to that level of cardio fitness again.

Awesome! That is great you got in some run/walks too. 

18 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

@Soror I only averaged just under twenty-minute miles. I didn't want to push it as my hip has been funny recently.  It's rolling countryside but mostly not very steep. I gleaned some peas from a harvested field on the way back- they are so sweet when fresh.

Today I was off work again - just a couple of miles of dog walking, many hours reading in a hammock under the apple trees, and now I'm heading out for yoga on the lawn.

Pfft. I routinely do 20 min mile 🙂 I know you are a fast walker though.

• Like 3

Slept well again (hoping that is here to stay with new meds). Didn't even feel the need for a nap yesterday. Usually I feel I need one even if I don't take one.

I even did my HIIT from Saturday that I missed so I am now caught back up. 

Lower body strength training will be done early (break in classes) and have stuff to do afterward.

Made some homemade granola I've been enjoying it with blueberrries and yogurt before my workout. Lunch has been random leftovers but I really need to make something. We've got a lot going on today so maybe not today. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

I went for an early morning run/walk for 45 min. I decided that I needed to get in more intensity to my exercising, though I'm not sure running with be the thing. I much prefer tennis, biking and skiing. 😉  It was nice to get up and moving first thing in the morning. 

• Like 5

Walked 3.4K with the dog and then did about 20 minutes of floor-based stretch and strength exercises. 

Not sure what I'll do to top off the step count for the day. I'm bored and uninspired, but also lacking motivation to get creative or break out of the routine. 

Summer Splash Challenge Update: 405.2 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 172 Days

• Like 3

Honestly, I could have almost cut and pasted yesterday's post with minor updates to the stats:

I met yesterday's step goal with a long-ish evening walk.

This morning, the dog and I walked 3.5K, after which I spent about 20 minutes on strength and stretching followed by a couple of minutes of "jogging" on the mini-trampoline. 

I'm not quite to 50% of my step goal, so there will be more walking or possibly some stationary biking (or some combination of those things) after work.

Summer Splash Challenge Update: 413.2 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 173 Days

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I want to just have some days with way less food but I somehow lose inspiration for that mid-afternoon.

I am living in that same space these days. In my case, a lot of it has to do with depression and boredom (and probably lack of sleep). The only way I can keep moving through the day is to feed myself a near-constant stream of snacks.

I'm trying to at least make good choices about what I'm eating, but there's no ignoring that I'm eating way too much of it.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I am living in that same space these days. In my case, a lot of it has to do with depression and boredom (and probably lack of sleep). The only way I can keep moving through the day is to feed myself a near-constant stream of snacks.

I'm trying to at least make good choices about what I'm eating, but there's no ignoring that I'm eating way too much of it.

I hate it when I have the munchies. Sleep dep absolutely does this. It is maddening. It is hard not to overeat when you are hungry. I try to nap when I can when I'm not sleeping at night but you can't always and that only does so much.

Walk yesterday afternoon. Full body strength training today- walk.

• Like 4