Jump to content

Menu

Well-Trained Bodies- August


Soror
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just read through my July goals--that was a lot of wishful thinking! Tracking food isn't too hard when I'm on break, but very hard when I'm working, so summer school pretty much killed that. I do think I've been eating 4/5 servings of fruits/veggies per day, mostly fruits, and quite a lot of blueberries! My weight is down exactly 2 pounds today out of the desired 3. I'll take it. I did exercise 6 days per week.

August will be about maintaining while also celebrating life. Middle dd is home for the month, so we have a house full and two large piles of college stuff, one for each kid, and no space for it all. Dh's parents will visit this month. August is great for local produce--looks like we'll have at least some cherry tomatoes and cucumbers very soon. Goals:

-Exercise 6 days/week
-Lots of fruit/veggies
-Maintain weight

Oh, and I did Core and Booty yoga today.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not too optimistic for August movement as I'm visiting my parents (in their 80s and not very active anymore), then finishing my final paper for my last course. These 2 things will take up the first half of August, so I'll be free to move a lot for the second half of the month. Yay! 

And if my activity level goes down, my eating usually goes up. 😜 Not a good forecast, but I'll try my best to at least get out and walk as much as possible.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Just read through my July goals--that was a lot of wishful thinking! Tracking food isn't too hard when I'm on break, but very hard when I'm working, so summer school pretty much killed that. I do think I've been eating 4/5 servings of fruits/veggies per day, mostly fruits, and quite a lot of blueberries! My weight is down exactly 2 pounds today out of the desired 3. I'll take it. I did exercise 6 days per week.

August will be about maintaining while also celebrating life. Middle dd is home for the month, so we have a house full and two large piles of college stuff, one for each kid, and no space for it all. Dh's parents will visit this month. August is great for local produce--looks like we'll have at least some cherry tomatoes and cucumbers very soon. Goals:

-Exercise 6 days/week
-Lots of fruit/veggies
-Maintain weight

Oh, and I did Core and Booty yoga today.

Fabulous goals, sometimes there are more important things to focus on .I hope you have a lovely month.

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'm not too optimistic for August movement as I'm visiting my parents (in their 80s and not very active anymore), then finishing my final paper for my last course. These 2 things will take up the first half of August, so I'll be free to move a lot for the second half of the month. Yay! 

And if my activity level goes down, my eating usually goes up. 😜 Not a good forecast, but I'll try my best to at least get out and walk as much as possible.

LOL. At least you are looking at realistically. I bet you will be so excited when you get that paper done.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Goals for August:

-continue with Caroline Girvan's workouts- currently doing Epic Heat BUT she is talking about putting out a calisthenics series. I'm tempted to pause Heat and do that. We'll see--- 4x a week strength + 1 day HIIT. I usually add on 2-4 10-15 min core workouts a week and might do a 30 min LISS. 

- avg. 10k steps a day- some days less and some more- when I try to get more than that I have less time and energy for other activities and obligations 

- keep protein intake up- plenty of fruits and vegs

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Leg day today w/ some core work. Short walk. 

I did tons of yard work yesterday and had a walk. I should have slept well but had the worse night's sleep in ages. Def. taking a nap today.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello! Can I post here, too?

I had been working a couple of mobility videos from KaisaFit but hadn't been very regular about it, so I started her 30-Day Challenge (beginner version) in an attempt to be more regular and deliberate in my movement. Yesterday was bodyweight/balance strength and today was bodyweight cardio. My goal is to wake up earlier and get in my workout before the kids get up each day.

I recently put my scale in the back of the closet. I've decided that my body just wants to be this weight right now and I that I need to do my best to be the strongest, fittest, healthiest version of my fat self that I can be!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

Hello! Can I post here, too?

I had been working a couple of mobility videos from KaisaFit but hadn't been very regular about it, so I started her 30-Day Challenge (beginner version) in an attempt to be more regular and deliberate in my movement. Yesterday was bodyweight/balance strength and today was bodyweight cardio. My goal is to wake up earlier and get in my workout before the kids get up each day.

I recently put my scale in the back of the closet. I've decided that my body just wants to be this weight right now and I that I need to do my best to be the strongest, fittest, healthiest version of my fat self that I can be!

Welcome! That sounds like a great goal!

-------

Goals for August?  It's my busiest month at work, so I'll have to work through some weekends. I'm also starting to read around psychology for the module I'm studying in September. 

Keeping exercise close to home makes sense, rather than taking time driving to the beach. I hope to do three lunchtime runs a week, then dog walk on the other days, plus a few yoga sessions in the evenings.

Yesterday I did my lunchtime run.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

Hello! Can I post here, too?

I had been working a couple of mobility videos from KaisaFit but hadn't been very regular about it, so I started her 30-Day Challenge (beginner version) in an attempt to be more regular and deliberate in my movement. Yesterday was bodyweight/balance strength and today was bodyweight cardio. My goal is to wake up earlier and get in my workout before the kids get up each day.

I recently put my scale in the back of the closet. I've decided that my body just wants to be this weight right now and I that I need to do my best to be the strongest, fittest, healthiest version of my fat self that I can be!

Welcome! Wonderful goals. Feel free to post as often as you'd like. 

______________________

Today is upper body strength- may or may not get an actual walk as I have more yard work to do and am hoping I get labs done this am(waiting on orders).

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 3/30 in the challenge was a shorter bodyweight mobility workout, so I started with 15 minutes on the rowing machine first. (Well, first I had to dig the rowing machine out from under clean clothes...)

The mobility workout was hard, in that I could not easily move into a couple of the positions. I could do the moves once I got into the positions, but by then I was already behind what she was doing, so it was a bit frustrating. 😕

Edited by Noreen Claire
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

Day 3/30 in the challenge was a shorter bodyweight mobility workout, so I started with 15 minutes on the rowing machine first. (Well, first I had to dig the rowing machine out from under clean clothes...)

The mobility workout was hard, in that I could not easily move into a couple of the positions. I could do the moves once I got into the positions, but by then I was already behind what she was doing, so it was a bit frustrating. 😕

No shame in pausing the video when there is something new, even rewatching it. I've totally done that, even just last week on a new move. 

________________

Leg day! Squats, lunges, galore. Walk.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did cardio ballet this morning--hadn't done that one in awhile.

I am thrilled to have a new job which is really my dream assignment. A math teacher at the school where I work as an EA resigned to teach online for her last year before retirement. I interviewed last week and was offered the position yesterday afternoon. It's full time teaching 3 classes of Algebra 1 and 3 classes of Algebra 2. And with very coincidental timing, dh was offered a new position within his same company this week too!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

I did cardio ballet this morning--hadn't done that one in awhile.

I am thrilled to have a new job which is really my dream assignment. A math teacher at the school where I work as an EA resigned to teach online for her last year before retirement. I interviewed last week and was offered the position yesterday afternoon. It's full time teaching 3 classes of Algebra 1 and 3 classes of Algebra 2. And with very coincidental timing, dh was offered a new position within his same company this week too!

Many congratulations 🥳🎊💝 that is awesome 😎

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Active Rest today--

Yoga/stretch/foam rolling 20-30 min; 10-15 core; Walk

i did not get a walk yesterday. Errands and appointments were long than expected and I was exhausted by the end of the day.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I did cardio ballet this morning--hadn't done that one in awhile.

I am thrilled to have a new job which is really my dream assignment. A math teacher at the school where I work as an EA resigned to teach online for her last year before retirement. I interviewed last week and was offered the position yesterday afternoon. It's full time teaching 3 classes of Algebra 1 and 3 classes of Algebra 2. And with very coincidental timing, dh was offered a new position within his same company this week too!

Congratulations! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a few days behind.  I ran on Monday, Tuesday I dog walked and did bedtime yoga, Wednesday I did a long yoga session on the lawn then took a leisurely stroll after supper, and today I ran again.

My Garmin has decided that my VO2 max has improved a bit - it's now better than 60 percent of women my age, and I'm 'aged' 51.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm a few days behind.  I ran on Monday, Tuesday I dog walked and did bedtime yoga, Wednesday I did a long yoga session on the lawn then took a leisurely stroll after supper, and today I ran again.

My Garmin has decided that my VO2 max has improved a bit - it's now better than 60 percent of women my age, and I'm 'aged' 51.

Huzzah on the improved VO2, your hard work is paying off.

20 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

Day 5/30 was a core workout, all floor moves. I felt muscles that I forgot I even had!  🤣

Nice! Are you feeling sore today?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I did not walk yesterday. I finally got my labs done which means I have to delay my morning thyroid meds which always throws me off and all the work in the grass caught up to me and my allergies were killing me. (my period is also due any second) I should wear a mask outside but it is so blooming hot working outside anyway. It was a fairly lazy day other than some yoga and core work in the am. 

Today- full body dumbbell strength workout. I felt strong today and loved the complexes. Going for a walk in a minute.

Got my labs back- one of thyroid hormones is high and one is low. I need to adjust my dose again--UGH!!! I have a consultation next week for that. B12 is finally looking good, d needs to be higher (I expected that). 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Soror said:

Nice! Are you feeling sore today?

A little, but not anywhere near what I expected!

Day 6/30 was supposed to be a 24-minute hip hop cardio video, but I did the day 1 bodyweight cardio video (44 minutes) again instead.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Soror said:

HIIT today- EMOM (every minute on the minute) a killer on a good day and I'm in the worst of my period- I will do my best. Hoping for another walk this am

That sounds like work!

Day 7/30 was a 15 minute yoga flow. I went for a 30 minute walk after.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I usually do at least 30 min of yoga on a Saturday, but I went with Adriene's most recent youtube--Morning Flow Yoga, or something like that, which was more like 21 min. The rest of today's activity will be getting this house clean and then a major stock-up trip to Target and Costco. Mostly getting the college kids set up (and the freshman needs a lot of basic dorm stuff), but I haven't been since early June so we're low on a lot of things. This is where my summer paycheck is going!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did it! I even kept up with Caroline (she's a beast). I did have to do the lower rep ranges for the push-up variations. BUT then there was a finisher - that I should have expected but didn't- I was going in slo mo that last minute. Did a 10 min lower ab workout as well.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yesterday was a crap day. Too much stress Sat night and I slept terribly. I just got in my steps and was doing good to do that.

Today is upper body strength (this week is upper/lower/upper; rest; total body/HIIT/rest)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Soror said:

Yesterday was a crap day. Too much stress Sat night and I slept terribly. I just got in my steps and was doing good to do that.

Today is upper body strength (this week is upper/lower/upper; rest; total body/HIIT/rest)

I'm sorry you had such a bad day. Well done for the steps!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today was day 9 of 30, and a 20 minute interval cardio workout. 

I think I may have pulled an abdominal muscle over the weekend. Ouch! It mostly hurts when going from seated to standing, and didn't bother me during the workout.

It's cloudy and cool today, so I plan to get a walk in later, before dinner. It's going to be over 90°f the rest of the week, so I'm going to enjoy today!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did the thing I was nervous about!

It’s actually more than a week late for reasons beyond just being nervous (like dh spending more time working in our bedroom, where my elliptical is), and I went quite a bit slower than my normal pace, BUT...

I jogged 15 straight minutes, no walk breaks. And I even pulled closer to normal pace in the last few minutes. And I didn’t feel like I might die or need a break. And that’s AFTER more than a week off!  My confidence level is 10/10 today! I know I’m going to hit that goal of going 5k. Even as someone who loooooooathes cardio and is only doing it because her preferred fitness methods aren’t easily accessible right now.
I’m pretty dang proud of myself.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 min on the treadmill this morning. First day of teaching Algebra Readiness today--a little warm-up camp for incoming 9th graders. Then I have 20 pounds of peaches that I need to process and freeze this afternoon.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I did the thing I was nervous about!

It’s actually more than a week late for reasons beyond just being nervous (like dh spending more time working in our bedroom, where my elliptical is), and I went quite a bit slower than my normal pace, BUT...

I jogged 15 straight minutes, no walk breaks. And I even pulled closer to normal pace in the last few minutes. And I didn’t feel like I might die or need a break. And that’s AFTER more than a week off!  My confidence level is 10/10 today! I know I’m going to hit that goal of going 5k. Even as someone who loooooooathes cardio and is only doing it because her preferred fitness methods aren’t easily accessible right now.
I’m pretty dang proud of myself.

Well done!  Those 15 straight minutes feel impossible, but the programme prepares you well.  I sometimes find that a longer-than-normal gap occasionally actually boosts my ability.

----------------------

Rainy day.  I managed a dog walk at lunchtime and will do a strength yoga after work.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone! I'm back after a week vacation out to the western prairies in Canada to see my parents, brother and sister and her family. It was a wonderful week. We did a lot of outdoor activities and I was way more active than I was expecting. I played golf, mini-golf, grass tennis and volleyball, swam in a pool for the first time in a couple years, and kayak/canoed quite a bit. My sister is an amazing cook, and I ate everything she made ditching my dairy- and gluten-free diet. My weight is actually down after the week, which is a nice bonus. 

Now it's back to sitting at the computer for work, fitting in physical activity when I can. I also have to finish off my paper for my last course - then freedom!! 😃

Sounds like you've all been active. 

@Ali in OR Congratulations on the new job!! When do you start? Do you get a break between summer school and the new year?

@Noreen Claire Welcome! Sounds like you have a great plan. Hope your abdominal muscles are feeling better really soon.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, wintermom said:

 

@Ali in OR Congratulations on the new job!! When do you start? Do you get a break between summer school and the new year?

 

This summer school session will go through Aug 20, then my new position starts Aug 30 (but first day of school isn't until Sept 8). We'll sneak in a couple of days at the coast in between. Sounds like your trip was fabulous.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, wintermom said:

Hi Everyone! I'm back after a week vacation out to the western prairies in Canada to see my parents, brother and sister and her family. It was a wonderful week. We did a lot of outdoor activities and I was way more active than I was expecting. I played golf, mini-golf, grass tennis and volleyball, swam in a pool for the first time in a couple years, and kayak/canoed quite a bit. My sister is an amazing cook, and I ate everything she made ditching my dairy- and gluten-free diet. My weight is actually down after the week, which is a nice bonus. 

Now it's back to sitting at the computer for work, fitting in physical activity when I can. I also have to finish off my paper for my last course - then freedom!! 😃

Sounds like you've all been active. 

@Ali in OR Congratulations on the new job!! When do you start? Do you get a break between summer school and the new year?

@Noreen Claire Welcome! Sounds like you have a great plan. Hope your abdominal muscles are feeling better really soon.

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

___________

Am workout yesterday but not much else. My energy has been pretty up and down. I'm glad I have an appointment today. I really hope I can get my meds lined out once and for all, I'm really tired of this.

Today is lats and something- I don't remember. Strength day.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

___________

Am workout yesterday but not much else. My energy has been pretty up and down. I'm glad I have an appointment today. I really hope I can get my meds lined out once and for all, I'm really tired of this.

Today is lats and something- I don't remember. Strength day.

Good luck with your meds. It's so hard to function when our energy levels fluctuate a lot. I'm experiencing a little of that myself while trying to re-climatize myself to hot and humid weather and sitting at the computer all day. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been pretty bad so far this month.  Even dog walking is out as our pup is convalescing from surgery (nothing bad).  I did do my "yoga etc." a few times.

I am trying to cut the amount I eat, since I can't seem to get disciplined about exercise.  I think I'm making a little progress, but since I don't weigh myself, it's too early to be sure.

If I could just get my work caught up ... if it just wasn't so dang hot these days ... if if if ....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Say, does anyone have any wisdom about a middle aged woman trying to run? 

I used to be a natural fast runner, but I never did it with any discipline.  Now I want to incorporate that into my life, but the last time I tried doing it regularly, it hurt my knees so much.  I might have to accept that I'm too old to run.  But maybe there is some way to do it that would work for me.  Thoughts?

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Toot toot!  For years, my sporadic posts on this topic were about not meeting my goals, so this feels weird.

Including my warm up, two scheduled walk breaks, and long cool down, I hit 2 miles in 38 minutes today. That’s a record for me!

5 minute jog, 8 minute jog, 5 minute jog, all at or above my usual pace. I thought I might slack off the last few minutes but then Britney came on my play list and told me I’d better work, B. So I did.

My heart rate didn’t seem to get to my no-no zone, which is amazing. My O2 was a little questionable, but in a pay attention way, not a worried one.  
Since I’m used to measuring progress by weight plates, all these “new” ways of seeing progress are pretty cool!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SKL said:

Say, does anyone have any wisdom about a middle aged woman trying to run? 

I used to be a natural fast runner, but I never did it with any discipline.  Now I want to incorporate that into my life, but the last time I tried doing it regularly, it hurt my knees so much.  I might have to accept that I'm too old to run.  But maybe there is some way to do it that would work for me.  Thoughts?

Couch to 5k is good. The Zombies Run app is fun for variety. I found I needed to work on leg strength too to support my joints.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did a walking workout video this morning.

Twice in the last 10 years I did C25K to get into a running habit. Both times running eventually ended when I got plantar fasciitis. PF was 5 years apart, different feet. I had changed my foot strike after the first occurrence and that seemed to work for awhile but eventually I got PF again, and since it took a year to get completely over it, I decided I was done with running. I just walk fast when I do the treadmill, and I like the variety of workouts I do now.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 11/30 here. I've been up every day at 6am to have my workout done before 7. Next week, I'm going to push that back to 5:45am. My goal is eventually to be finished my workouts *and* have time to shower and have a cuppa before the kids get up at 7am.

Today's workout was a bodyweight strength workout that included lots of lunges, push-ups, planks, and (starter) burpees. Oh, and lots of swearing - it was challenging! 😉

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...