Menu

Quick: Lane furniture, yes or no?

Ema

Looking to upgrade our living room chairs. I am partial to flexsteel, but finding a pair of chairs (on craigslist) that are not an ugly pattern and are in our price range is not easy. I know nothing about Lane furniture, would their chairs be a good choice? Have read some reviews online, but I never know whether to trust them or not. Looking for long-term comfort and durability, workhorse chairs, as they will be in a heavily used room. DH making pick-up on Monday. Nice looking Lane or ugly flexsteel??

Edited by Ema

my information is old.  I worked in a better furniture store about 40 years ago.  They carried a few pieces of each.  Generally, they're about the same price point.

I'd be more interested in what the springs are like. (I do not like flexsteels' spring system, and will never buy another springed piece from them.) - are they 8-way? (they will generally last the longest, and give the most dependable support)  are the springs still good?  is the frame tight?   those are things you can generally only tell by checking it out in person.

1 hour ago, Ema said:

Looking to upgrade our living room chairs. I am partial to flexsteel, but finding a pair of chairs (on craigslist) that are not an ugly pattern and are in our price range is not easy. I know nothing about Lane furniture, would their chairs be a good choice? Have read some reviews online, but I never know whether to trust them or not. Looking for long-term comfort and durability, workhorse chairs, as they will be in a heavily used room. DH making pick-up on Monday. Nice looking Lane or ugly flexsteel??

We have a leather recliner made by Lane and it is nice.  But it is really hard to say just by brand alone.  Furniture production has changed so much you really never know what you are getting without a ton of research which is hard to do on used furniture.  If the price is right, you like how it looks I say go for it.

No!  I bought a huge recliner during my last pregnancy (enough room for several kids & me).  I was told the one in the showroom was 3 years old and the sales clerk’s grandpa had the same one.  Whatever was delivered looked the same but had no lumbar support at all.  It felt like a piece was missing.  I’ll never buy from them again. 

I had a Lane leather motion couch/loveseat set that lasted me 15 yrs.; even then we got rid of it because the leather had thinned and torn in places, but the recliner mechanisms (non-electric) were going strong. Of course I have no idea if they’re still as good these days. We bought an electric set from Costco, which was super affordable. I hate the electric recliners, but I could only find non-electric at LA-Z Boy, who is super overpriced to start with, and then they wanted to charge *extra* for non-electric recliners. Uh no. 

I have Lane pieces that were purchased forty years ago and still good.  Since the actual Lane Company closed, and their name was bought by another company, the pieces are probably just as good as Bassett and Broyhill, etc.  I will buy Lane again when we get our next recliner, for sure.