Menu

School mask mandates vs. dress codes

Kakids

If it is ok for schools to mandate clothing worn by children for the purpose of not distracting the opposite sex, how is it not ok for them to mandate an article of wear (masks) that protects the health of others?

How is an executive order, banning mask mandates, that emphasizes that the path forward relies on personal responsibility rather than government mandates, not at odds with gendered school dress codes?

If we’re going to rely on personal responsibility, why can’t people be personally responsible for their reactions to others clothing/bodies?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

As a sort of quippy, this is revealing your hypocrisy sort of thing, I agree. There's a real overlap between the people who feel like it's okay for schools to regulate dress for morality but somehow any other reasons become tyranny against their kids.

On the other hand, I see this as being radically different. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I mean... I don't think the people who aren't happy about mask mandates are all that worried about logic and consistency.

Crossing lines between public health and personal liberty can be debated all day long, but I don't see a thoughtful debate, outside of this forum. I see people desperately trying to protect others on the one hand, and manipulating emotions for their own benefit *and to the detriment of their own constituents* on the other.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Kakids said:

If it is ok for schools to mandate clothing worn by children for the purpose of not distracting the opposite sex, how is it not ok for them to mandate an article of wear (masks) that protects the health of others?

How is an executive order, banning mask mandates, that emphasizes that the path forward relies on personal responsibility rather than government mandates, not at odds with gendered school dress codes?

If we’re going to rely on personal responsibility, why can’t people be personally responsible for their reactions to others clothing/bodies?

It absolutely is at odds, and I hope our governor is ousted in the next election. Or that all the many powers that be who are begging him to change his stance on that, get through to him. Somehow. Because it is absurd. 

Most schools also require closed toe shoes, and often don't limit it to PE, science labs, and shop classes. And child care programs are required to apply sunscreen unless parents explicitly request not to in the states I've worked in-including Florida. 

I will also add a comparison in another direction. School dress and uniform codes usually do allow exceptions for kids who need them. For example, requirements that pants have a belt and be of a specific style usually is waived for allow soft knit or sweat suit type pants for kids who have sensory needs, have ports, need assistance with toileting, etc. The same is true with masks. So the "not everyone can wear them" (or "not everyone can be vaccinated") argument has already been addressed and is a non-issue. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

There's also the hypocrisy of a "small government conservative" dictating what people are allowed to do on their own property or overruling a decision made by a smaller government entity like a school district. If it's "overreach" for the Federal Government to tell a state what to do, why isn't it also overreach for a state to tell a local school district what to do? 

Also the hypocrisy of “local control”, except of course when the locals make a choice you don’t like, such as requiring masks in a densely populated city. But we saw that before covid, so it’s nothing new.

• Like 8