Menu

Curly Girl Q's

Soror

I'm trying to embrace my natural curls again. I always give up because it looks so bad. But so want to make it this time.

I've read I'm not supposed to brush but use my fingers. When I do this it does look much better BUT I hate the way it feels. Hate it. I resort to using a wide tooth comb but then it looks more stringy. Is there anything else I can do??? Do the Denman brushes really work?

I end up with more heavyness on the bottom than I want. How do I help that??

I had it cut once by a Deva curl salon and it looked great but I could not replicate it at all. 

The Denman brush really does work. It smooths out the hair, distributes the product, but still leaves the curl clumps. Heaviness at the bottom could mean that you need a haircut.  It could also be a styling situation. My hair is so fine that the weight of the hair/water will flatten my curls at the root. I have to diffuse my hair to keep curls all the way up to the root. Using clips at the root helps as does using mousse. Styling choices help less and less as my hair grows out too much. 

on wash day, I like to brush, add product, style, then wrap in a t-shirt for a bit before diffusing. I put the t-shirt on my bed, gently put the top of my head on it, then tie it up for 15-20 minutes before diffusing. This holds my curls coiled to the top of my head (think of an un-stretched slinky). This way they don’t get weighed down and diffusing goes quickly. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

The Denman brush really does work. It smooths out the hair, distributes the product, but still leaves the curl clumps. Heaviness at the bottom could mean that you need a haircut.  It could also be a styling situation. My hair is so fine that the weight of the hair/water will flatten my curls at the root. I have to diffuse my hair to keep curls all the way up to the root. Using clips at the root helps as does using mousse. Styling choices help less and less as my hair grows out too much. 

on wash day, I like to brush, add product, style, then wrap in a t-shirt for a bit before diffusing. I put the t-shirt on my bed, gently put the top of my head on it, then tie it up for 15-20 minutes before diffusing. This holds my curls coiled to the top of my head (think of an un-stretched slinky). This way they don’t get weighed down and diffusing goes quickly. 

Thank you so much for your thoughts!!! I'll go ahead and try the brush. I need a diffuser. I've not dried my hair in years but I'm not liking how it is looking at all. I actually want a haircut but the girl I've been going to (which is great because she only has 1 client there at a time) knows nothing about curly cuts. Maybe I'll look into going into the city again if I can find some place taking good precautions.

44 minutes ago, Amy in NH said:

I went to the Denman website, and their brushes really don't look any different than the Goody brushes I buy at Walmart every couple of years.  What makes them so superior?

If you have a goody brush that has the same basic shape and materials I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I tried a cheaper brush first, but it’s not similar enough to make a real comparison. The bristle bed is flat, the bristles are a harder plastic, and it has little balls on the end. It’s just not the tool to give me the slip/smoothing/curl formation that the Denman brush does. I’m guessing if I’d worked harder I could’ve found another brand that did the same thing. Someone on the internet HAS to have figured this out. 

• Like 1

I never dry my hair if I can avoid it, even with a diffuser.

Instead I wrap it in a bath towel when I get out of the shower, and then dry myself off, put on deodorant, and moisturize with it still on, and only then do I take the towel off my head.  This gets rid of the largest amount of water, and leaves me with damp to somewhat wet hair.  Then I comb the tangles out with a very wide toothed heavy plastic comb, and comb my hair back from my face.  I put two little clips in, right above and behind my ears, to give me a fairly smooth ‘do’ around my face.  

The rest I try to keep as supported as possible to let the curls develop.  If it’s a hot, dry day, I just let it hang; but if it’s humid or cold, so it won’t dry fast on its own, I support it with a hoodie—I even have a short sleeved one for the summer.  
The hair weight is supported by the hood, and so the curl doesn’t pull out.  Also, I pay attention if I’m riding in a car, to make sure I pull my hair up from behind my back so that I don’t pull the curl out.

I end up with wavy to curly hair, pretty consistently, and it always looks better like this than when I dry it myself.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Soror said:

Thank you so much for your thoughts!!! I'll go ahead and try the brush. I need a diffuser. I've not dried my hair in years but I'm not liking how it is looking at all. I actually want a haircut but the girl I've been going to (which is great because she only has 1 client there at a time) knows nothing about curly cuts. Maybe I'll look into going into the city again if I can find some place taking good precautions.

Have you considered DIY?  This video has a DIY cut, diffusing, and a Denman brush so it seemed to go with this conversation.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Have you considered DIY?  This video has a DIY cut, diffusing, and a Denman brush so it seemed to go with this conversation.

Hmm. I've given myself haircuts before but never shorter. It did cross my mind. I'll check it out. TY

15 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I am going to try this.   Wish me luck.   I may end up in the emergency hair salon....hahahaha

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

I have thick 3B curls and using a wide tooth comb in the shower w/ conditioner in seems to work best for my hair. 

Thank you for your input. I believe the salon lady said I had 2C. I've been trying the wide tooth comb but it is not working at all.

17 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I never dry my hair if I can avoid it, even with a diffuser.

Instead I wrap it in a bath towel when I get out of the shower, and then dry myself off, put on deodorant, and moisturize with it still on, and only then do I take the towel off my head.  This gets rid of the largest amount of water, and leaves me with damp to somewhat wet hair.  Then I comb the tangles out with a very wide toothed heavy plastic comb, and comb my hair back from my face.  I put two little clips in, right above and behind my ears, to give me a fairly smooth ‘do’ around my face.  

The rest I try to keep as supported as possible to let the curls develop.  If it’s a hot, dry day, I just let it hang; but if it’s humid or cold, so it won’t dry fast on its own, I support it with a hoodie—I even have a short sleeved one for the summer.  
The hair weight is supported by the hood, and so the curl doesn’t pull out.  Also, I pay attention if I’m riding in a car, to make sure I pull my hair up from behind my back so that I don’t pull the curl out.

I end up with wavy to curly hair, pretty consistently, and it always looks better like this than when I dry it myself.

I prefer not to dry it either but it is not doing well now so maybe it would help? I think the curly hair salon dried with diffuser and it looked great then

Has anyone ordered a Denman brush from Amazon (recently)? People are saying on the reviews that they are fakes?

Also, how do you put your hair up for a workout? The linked video lady uses a headband and a bobble (?). I have been using regular ouchless elastics but they take all the curl out of my hair and tend to rip out hair as well.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cintinative said:

Has anyone ordered a Denman brush from Amazon (recently)? People are saying on the reviews that they are fakes?

Also, how do you put your hair up for a workout? The linked video lady uses a headband and a bobble (?). I have been using regular ouchless elastics but they take all the curl out of my hair and tend to rip out hair as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082R4ZBHT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These hair ties have been a game-changer for me!  They work super well on my very thick, curly hair.  They hold a pony nicely, and hold a bun in even better.  I use one every day to bun my hair for work.  I've been using the same package of them over and over for months and they never stretch out either! 

• Thanks 1