Menu

Covid test costs?

BlsdMama

Oh, my sister said the same recently. If you go to a county testing site it is free, but I don't know about a medical office. I think you'd need to check with your insurer. Insurance companies were covering at 100 percent, no copay/deductible for a while. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm one kid was tested at the ER, but maybe it was covered as that was last year.

We have a free testing site at the University in my town so we just do those.  Plus there is free testing at Walgreens and CVS.  Our state also has free at home tests that you can request.

• Thanks 1

Hmmmm. I would call the insurance co. Ours are free if done by a medical provider (ie not at home kits) but My xh had to pay for his. We both have BCBS but I have decent coverage and he has a catastrophic plan. 

• Thanks 1

Our experience has been that it's free when done through the city or through some providers... but not others. I think they need to change it. I understand why passing the cost along to people who are getting tested so they can safely go to their cousin's wedding or send their kid to camp or whatever is merited, but... Testing and then quarantining is one line of defense.

• Thanks 1

Covid testing is free in my state, unless it’s a specific test for travel.

For what it’s worth my SIL is an out of state resident and had to pay $150 for testing at the walk in clinic in my state. When I took my niece along with my kids to the drive up testing, it was free, but I didn’t volunteer that she was an out of state resident. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2021 at 6:19 PM, Bootsie said:

Were you billed $120 testing/lab fee for each child?  Or, were you billed for an office visit for each child?

Maybe that was it? We went to an Urgent Care which was a testing site (drive through) but they’ve discontinued those so we went inside. 

We’ve had various members tested previous to this. Just call our provider and go to the hospital through the drive through site or through the Test Iowa sites, but those are now defunct. I was very surprised to see the charges.