Menu

Air filter question— NM, thanks!

MEmama

My in laws are coming to visit from a high COVID/low vax state, and while they aren’t staying with us it is going to be difficult to keep them out of the house. Despite the protests I know will come, I am going to hold firm and do my best to make sure all the windows will be open and ceiling/box fans running. Given the airflow, is there a point to running an air purifier as well? Or does it make more sense to just run it overnight when I have to close the windows?

I know it’s probably a ridiculous question but I’m kind of panicking. Keeping boundaries is very difficult at the best of times and they are pretending like the pandemic doesn’t exist so I know they aren’t safe at home (they have told us they are vaccinated but DH has not asked for proof). I’m planning to Lysol every touchable surface every night but I’m not sure what else I can do. 

Edited by MEmama

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I don't know the science of it, but I think whatever makes you feel better is worth doing.   Since you are panicking run it.

Thanks. I know it’s probably overkill, but all these breakthrough stories are freaking me out. And I KNOW they don’t take ANY precautions so I’m super worried about their viral load. 

Just now, MEmama said:

Thanks. I know it’s probably overkill, but all these breakthrough stories are freaking me out. And I KNOW they don’t take ANY precautions so I’m super worried about their viral load. 

For what it is worth I would be doing the same.  They sound like the kind of people that you want to take every precaution you can.   Can you try and keep their visit to an outdoor one? 

2 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Remember the break through cases are so rarely severe.

Would they be willing to do a test before they come?

Yes, I would run the air  filter.  When numbers went way down here and I let my dd's small book club meet indoors for the first time in over a year, I had all the windows open and the filter running.  They did mask, too, but that may be unrealistic in your case.   I think there is no harm in running the filter.  (Mine has a UV setting, too.)

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

For what it is worth I would be doing the same.  They sound like the kind of people that you want to take every precaution you can.   Can you try and keep their visit to an outdoor one? 

I’m going to try, but it’s going to be hard. 😞 

9 minutes ago, freesia said:

Remember the break through cases are so rarely severe.

Would they be willing to do a test before they come?

Yes, I would run the air  filter.  When numbers went way down here and I let my dd's small book club meet indoors for the first time in over a year, I had all the windows open and the filter running.  They did mask, too, but that may be unrealistic in your case.   I think there is no harm in running the filter.  (Mine has a UV setting, too.)

They won’t test. COVID doesn’t even exist, dontchaknow. It’s just a librul hoax. Insert fox/oan talking point of the day here. 😞 

They definitely won’t mask. I’d honestly be surprised if they even own any. Ugh, I’m so stressed out. 

Edited by MEmama
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, MEmama said:

They won’t test. COVID doesn’t even exist, dontchaknow. It’s just a librul hoax. Insert fox/oan talking point of the day here. 😞 

They definitely won’t mask. I’d honestly be surprised if they even own any. Ugh, I’m so stressed out. 

Oy, that would stress me out, too! I'm so sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

. Given the airflow, is there a point to running an air purifier as well?

It has been beneficial for hay fever for DS16 and me so I would run the air purifiers/filters. Our windows and patio door have the bug screens but still we suffer from seasonal allergies. 

• Like 2

Keep the windows shut and tell them the a/c isn't working.  No need to mention that the reason it's not working is because it's turned off.  Then set up chairs in a shady outdoor spot.  It really sounds like they shouldn't be going in your house at all.  I'm angry for you that you've been made to feel that you don't get to lay down the law wrt safety in your own home.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Can you plan things not really at your house? 

Meet at the beach for a picnic

Go hiking on the trails

Meet at park shelter

Or a fire at fire pit? 

I wish! Did I mention they don’t like to do *anything*? 
Sure, come all the way to Maine and insist on just sitting in our living room…

2 hours ago, Syllieann said:

Keep the windows shut and tell them the a/c isn't working.  No need to mention that the reason it's not working is because it's turned off.  Then set up chairs in a shady outdoor spot.  It really sounds like they shouldn't be going in your house at all.  I'm angry for you that you've been made to feel that you don't get to lay down the law wrt safety in your own home.

We don’t have a/c, but I like the way you think! Lol

We did manage to have dinner outdoors, but of course at 70 degrees it’s “too cold” for MIL. Sigh. 

22 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Not asking for details but is your dh on the same page?  I think that it would be even harder if he isn’t. 

Yes, except he has a very hard time setting boundaries with his parents. I know he’s trying, but communication in that family is really, really difficult. Outside of this particular situation he is every bit as safe and cautious as I am. I know he is beyond frustrated that they are so difficult and have fallen so far down the fox hole. 

• Like 3

• MEmama changed the title to Air filter question— NM, thanks!