Jump to content

Menu

Boardies with Covid experience of vaccinated


Recommended Posts

Dh had another co-worker test positive.  He tested because he was notified that someone he had gone camping with over the weekend had tested positive.  He was vaccinated with J&J at the end of March.  42yo.  Completely asymptomatic.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, we are waiting on more Binax tests - they went from next day delivery at walmart.com to taking a week, and then sold out! Everywhere has been selling out. When they get here we will test again, but as of now no one has tested positive, no one has had any symptoms beyond normal allergies for this time of year (Bahia grass is pollinating all over the neighborhood)

Everyone he was in contact with has tested negative. 

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

they went from next day delivery at walmart.com to taking a week, and then sold out! Everywhere has been selling out.

I wish I had gotten more!  I bought two boxes and we used two.  My mom still tested positive the other day (this helped me feel more confident with the reliability of the test) and I used one on DS yesterday, negative.  I don't think any of us have caught it from her and we are now two weeks past her onset.  

Edit: we’re two weeks past her exposure tomorrow. 

Edited by kristin0713
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

So, we are waiting on more Binax tests - they went from next day delivery at walmart.com to taking a week, and then sold out! Everywhere has been selling out. When they get here we will test again, but as of now no one has tested positive, no one has had any symptoms beyond normal allergies for this time of year (Bahia grass is pollinating all over the neighborhood)

Everyone he was in contact with has tested negative. 

Wow. We just got a whole bunch. Now I'm glad... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Two more friends tested positive. Both are completely miserable and extremely sick.  One is in the hospital and the other is close to being admitted.   This is a couple in their late 50s, and were fully vaccinated with Pfizer in late April. 

Ugh 😞 . That's scary. I hope they feel better soon. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Two more friends tested positive. Both are completely miserable and extremely sick.  One is in the hospital and the other is close to being admitted.   This is a couple in their late 50s, and were fully vaccinated with Pfizer in late April. 

Ughh, that does not make me feel better. I figured immunity would last longer and that is when I was vaccinated with Pfizer.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 4:38 PM, SKL said:

I think it would be helpful if people posted which vax the person with breakthrough Covid had.  I assume this could help us to better understand our families' risks.

I wish the government sources would include this info in their stats.  It doesn't tell me anything if I don't know whether the breakthrough cases were J&J or mRNA.

This is third-hand, but my boss' doctor told him they are seeing far less breakthroughs with Moderna than with Pfizer. The question is what percentage of people had each vax to being with. I'm not sure there is a meaningful pattern without knowing that percentage.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

This is third-hand, but my boss' doctor told him they are seeing far less breakthroughs with Moderna than with Pfizer. The question is what percentage of people had each vax to being with. I'm not sure there is a meaningful pattern without knowing that percentage.  

 

That is what I am noticing. Most I know who have had breakthroughs had Pfizer.  

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

This is third-hand, but my boss' doctor told him they are seeing far less breakthroughs with Moderna than with Pfizer. The question is what percentage of people had each vax to being with. I'm not sure there is a meaningful pattern without knowing that percentage.  

 

Our state health department tracks doses of each. Check yours.  We have 3.25 million doses of Pfizer, 2.38 million doses of moderna, and .24 million doses of j&j.  We got Moderna first so most over 65 and healthcare workers got that plus they have had a longer average elapsed time since vaccination.

ETta:  I only know J&J breakthroughs irl, so that is really saying something.  Glad I didn't get that one.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An article I read yesterday about the situation at a large hospital in my state said they aren’t specifically tracking which vaccine the relatively rare breakthrough hospitalized patient got, but anecdotally it’s primarily J&J.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

What's the reason that y'all are buying the Binax tests? Does your state not have sufficient and timely covid testing around you? 

They do, but it just seems easier to do it at home if it’s mild. The activation energy is lower…

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

What's the reason that y'all are buying the Binax tests? Does your state not have sufficient and timely covid testing around you? 

Our testing places are running out of tests each day, before closing, with hours long lines. CVS is hit or miss to find an appointment, etc. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

What's the reason that y'all are buying the Binax tests? Does your state not have sufficient and timely covid testing around you? 

I figured we would just go to our local drive through, but we had a very young kid with illness symptoms who hadn’t been anywhere (and the rest of us are exceedingly cautious and don’t do most things either)—a very unlikely Covid scenario, so it made more sense to run a home test first to decide what to do next. I’m now finding I can’t find a PCR on a Sunday, so it would make sense in that scenario while waiting as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

This is third-hand, but my boss' doctor told him they are seeing far less breakthroughs with Moderna than with Pfizer. The question is what percentage of people had each vax to being with. I'm not sure there is a meaningful pattern without knowing that percentage. 

Interesting.  Anyone know what the differences are?  I know Moderna has a longer waiting period between the 2 shots, so if we waited longer between the Pfizer shots, I wonder if that would matter.  (It happens that I did wait like 5 weeks instead of 3, for what it's worth ... but my kids had theirs as fast as possible.)

[But for the moment, I'm glad my dad had Moderna.]

Edited by SKL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

What's the reason that y'all are buying the Binax tests? Does your state not have sufficient and timely covid testing around you? 

For me, we are on vacation and have some friends visiting on both ends. Don't want to deal with having to find testing sites while we're here. We also brought a thermometer.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, SKL said:

Interesting.  Anyone know what the differences are?  I know Moderna has a longer waiting period between the 2 shots, so if we waited longer between the Pfizer shots, I wonder if that would matter.  (It happens that I did wait like 5 weeks instead of 3, for what it's worth ... but my kids had theirs as fast as possible.)

[But for the moment, I'm glad my dad had Moderna.]

Also Moderna is a higher dosage than Pfizer

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Assuming this is a reliable source (statista.com), as of 8/3/21 the following number of doses have been administered in the U.S.

Pfizer: 194,252,771

Moderna: 139,335,403

J&J: 13,479,802

So those numbers would have to be taken into consideration when considering if more breakthrough cases are occurring in people who've had a particular vaccine. My sense is that the overwhelming majority of people in my area received the Pfizer vaccine. So obviously it wouldn't be surprising if the majority of breakthrough cases (by raw numbers) in my area were in people who had received it, and that wouldn't really tell me anything.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Assuming this is a reliable source (statista.com), as of 8/3/21 the following number of doses have been administered in the U.S.

Pfizer: 194,252,771

Moderna: 139,335,403

J&J: 13,479,802

So those numbers would have to be taken into consideration when considering if more breakthrough cases are occurring in people who've had a particular vaccine. My sense is that the overwhelming majority of people in my area received the Pfizer vaccine. So obviously it wouldn't be surprising if the majority of breakthrough cases (by raw numbers) in my area were in people who had received it, and that wouldn't really tell me anything.

This is exactly what I meant.  Here, even the county dashboard really wouldn't be instructive, because if one only sees doctors from a certain hospital system, that system might have been only giving one jab and not the other.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SKL said:

Interesting.  Anyone know what the differences are?  I know Moderna has a longer waiting period between the 2 shots, so if we waited longer between the Pfizer shots, I wonder if that would matter.  (It happens that I did wait like 5 weeks instead of 3, for what it's worth ... but my kids had theirs as fast as possible.)

[But for the moment, I'm glad my dad had Moderna.]

Wasn't there a longer wait time, like 3 months, in the UK? Something about wanting everyone to receive the first jab before the second? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Assuming this is a reliable source (statista.com), as of 8/3/21 the following number of doses have been administered in the U.S.

Pfizer: 194,252,771

Moderna: 139,335,403

J&J: 13,479,802

So those numbers would have to be taken into consideration when considering if more breakthrough cases are occurring in people who've had a particular vaccine. My sense is that the overwhelming majority of people in my area received the Pfizer vaccine. So obviously it wouldn't be surprising if the majority of breakthrough cases (by raw numbers) in my area were in people who had received it, and that wouldn't really tell me anything.

Is no one collecting data on this? I might have missed it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wilrunner said:

Wasn't there a longer wait time, like 3 months, in the UK? Something about wanting everyone to receive the first jab before the second? 

Yes, and they are holding up better.  There was one study that found antibody production peaked with an 8-week interval between shots, but the cellular immunity was slightly reduced.  We did my ds's at 9.5 weeks and now I am wishing I'd done mine at 8.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/7/2021 at 9:35 AM, Kassia said:

Hope you and your family stay healthy.  Please update when you can.

Earlier in the thread, I posted that someone I went to high school with was very sick and hospitalized with Covid and was fully vaccinated.  He was just released from the hospital after a two week stay.  He's 56.  I don't know if he had any underlying conditions. 

 

Our tests all came back negative today, thankfully.  We'd expected that since no symptoms after 9 days, but you never know...

The person who had tested positive at the wedding either had Pfizer or Moderna.  He was quite sick for about 5 days and in bed, but is feeling better now.  It's pretty crazy how this new variant can break through!  I'm glad your friend is better.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, wilrunner said:

Wasn't there a longer wait time, like 3 months, in the UK? Something about wanting everyone to receive the first jab before the second? 

Yes -   in the first month or so people got the four week interval. Then it was decided to go  with 12 week because the first jab was very effective with the initial variants, so it made sense to use the supplies on as many people as possible.  This has now been reduced to 8 weeks as Delta requires both jabs for good coverage.

I had AZ with a 12 week gap and my second jab in May.

We get up to two lateral flow tests per week to use at home which are free at the point of use. You can register the results but there's no compulsion  

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My dd20's new roommate and her boyfriend both just got Covid, both fully vaxxed. I'm not sure since when and with what, but I can update if dd knows.  Mild cases, roommate lost her sense of smell for a couple of days and had a mild cough. Fortunately for my dd, she came down with this just before she moved in, told dd, and waited until now to move in.

  • Like 7
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Daughter tested due to working at a daycare and it came back positive. We found out and tested again and it was already negative within 4 days. Never had a symptom but still needs to finish her quarantine. The rest of the family tested and they were all negative. Everyone is fully vaccinated. 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2021 at 3:26 AM, Pawz4me said:

Assuming this is a reliable source (statista.com), as of 8/3/21 the following number of doses have been administered in the U.S.

Pfizer: 194,252,771

Moderna: 139,335,403

J&J: 13,479,802

So those numbers would have to be taken into consideration when considering if more breakthrough cases are occurring in people who've had a particular vaccine. My sense is that the overwhelming majority of people in my area received the Pfizer vaccine. So obviously it wouldn't be surprising if the majority of breakthrough cases (by raw numbers) in my area were in people who had received it, and that wouldn't really tell me anything.

Wasn’t Pfizer administered slightly earlier as well?  So if it’s a waning immunity thing that would show up first?  Or was the time difference not enough to be significant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Wasn’t Pfizer administered slightly earlier as well?  So if it’s a waning immunity thing that would show up first?  Or was the time difference not enough to be significant.

In my state Moderna was available about a month before Pfizer.  It seems like most people who were vaccinated at their place of employment were given moderna.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Wasn’t Pfizer administered slightly earlier as well?  So if it’s a waning immunity thing that would show up first?  Or was the time difference not enough to be significant.

I got Moderna in Jan/Feb.

It almost seems like I have heard more about Pfizer recently than back then.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Several kids in my DDs extracurricular have tested positive for covid in the past day or two. The scary thing is that they are all under 16 and all fully vaccinated. There hasn't been much time for that immunity to wane. 

DD isn't a close contact and she and the they went to the class masked, but I'm nervous. Another friend who is a close contact of DD and the positive children tested negative but IS symptomatic. They told her it's probably the flu. In August. It's too coincidental for me. DD was supposed to see a family member in hospice care for probably the last time this weekend and now she can't go. 😢

  • Sad 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Paige said:

Several kids in my DDs extracurricular have tested positive for covid in the past day or two. The scary thing is that they are all under 16 and all fully vaccinated. There hasn't been much time for that immunity to wane. 

DD isn't a close contact and she and the they went to the class masked, but I'm nervous. Another friend who is a close contact of DD and the positive children tested negative but IS symptomatic. They told her it's probably the flu. In August. It's too coincidental for me. DD was supposed to see a family member in hospice care for probably the last time this weekend and now she can't go. 😢

I'm so sorry about the family member visit. 😥

I hate all this. So tired of it messing with family visits. 

 

 

 

 

I'm curious if the positives actually got sick? DD was very recently vaccinated and was around it at a daycare, probably a lot. For all I know she just had residual in her nose from being in it all day. PCR swabs are super sensitive from what I understand. We found out three days later. They were so slow getting it back to us!!! I wanted to know so I tested her the very next day (PCR nose swab) and she already cleared it.  Don't worry, we are finishing quarantine anyway. Because it was one of her regular tests (no symptoms or anything) we didn't quarantine. We have tested a lot this summer because her job. There is no way out of day care germs. She gave it to no one and we(all six of us) lived and ate with her openly. She was also around others (until we got the test) since it was our standard, "Just to make sure" test.

I'd definitely say it was doing its job but she was also fairly recently vaccinated. Probably still had actual antibodies floating around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, frogger said:

I'm so sorry about the family member visit. 😥

I hate all this. So tired of it messing with family visits. 

 

 

 

 

I'm curious if the positives actually got sick? DD was very recently vaccinated and was around it at a daycare, probably a lot. For all I know she just had residual in her nose from being in it all day. PCR swabs are super sensitive from what I understand. We found out three days later. They were so slow getting it back to us!!! I wanted to know so I tested her the very next day (PCR nose swab) and she already cleared it.  Don't worry, we are finishing quarantine anyway. Because it was one of her regular tests (no symptoms or anything) we didn't quarantine. We have tested a lot this summer because her job. There is no way out of day care germs. She gave it to no one and we(all six of us) lived and ate with her openly. She was also around others (until we got the test) since it was our standard, "Just to make sure" test.

I'd definitely say it was doing its job but she was also fairly recently vaccinated. Probably still had actual antibodies floating around. 

DD says they are mostly showing mild symptoms. They're all young teens.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My 20 yr old dd has runny nose, congestion, fatigue, and headache. She’s getting tested tomorrow. Fortunately, she moved back to her university on Monday. And she lives alone. Symptoms started today I think. Whatever it is—she probably caught it working in the nursery at church last Sunday. She did run some errands once she got back to Auburn. Headcolds have a really short incubation period, right? 

Interestingly, she had the horrible (what we assume was RSV) last month. She didn’t test because Delta was just becoming a thing. She was living here at home at the time, and none of the rest of us caught it. I may ask her if she’d be willing to get an antibody test, too. I regret she didn’t get tested then.

She had J and J in April. 

It’s everywhere here. I know so many people (people I know personally) who have it right now or had it within the past couple of weeks —-WAY more than all the previous months of the pandemic combined. 

Edited by popmom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My niece who was vaccinated with Pfizer in May has come down with it. Feels like bad allergies. Probably got it from a large university's fish camp. Tons are coming down with it, but I haven't seen it in the news.  Please do not quote this. 

This September in Texas in schools will be a crapfest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, popmom said:

My 20 yr old dd has runny nose, congestion, fatigue, and headache. She’s getting tested tomorrow. Fortunately, she moved back to her university on Monday. And she lives alone. Symptoms started today I think. Whatever it is—she probably caught it working in the nursery at church last Sunday. She did run some errands once she got back to Auburn. Headcolds have a really short incubation period, right? 

Interestingly, she had the horrible (what we assume was RSV) last month. She didn’t test because Delta was just becoming a thing. She was living here at home at the time, and none of the rest of us caught it. I may ask her if she’d be willing to get an antibody test, too. I regret she didn’t get tested then.

She had J and J in April. 

It’s everywhere here. I know so many people (people I know personally) who have it right now or had it within the past couple of weeks —-WAY more than all the previous months of the pandemic combined. 

My dd's rapid test was negative this morning. She's getting tested at the university clinic on Monday just to be sure. Urgent care told her it was a sinus infection and prescribed her antibiotics. She's only had symptoms for 2 days. I thought sinus infections were secondary. She hasn't been sick with anything to cause a secondary infection.

She has never taken an antibiotic in her life other than at birth in NICU. I told her to hold off and see if it improves on its own. Just seems viral to me.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TexasProud said:

My niece who was vaccinated with Pfizer in May has come down with it. Feels like bad allergies. Probably got it from a large university's fish camp. Tons are coming down with it, but I haven't seen it in the news.  Please do not quote this. 

This September in Texas in schools will be a crapfest.

Ok, off topic, but what is a fish camp? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TexasProud said:

My niece who was vaccinated with Pfizer in May has come down with it. Feels like bad allergies. Probably got it from a large university's fish camp. Tons are coming down with it, but I haven't seen it in the news.  Please do not quote this. 

This September in Texas in schools will be a crapfest.

MY dd graduated from that college. 5 years ago, when she went to fish camp, she didn't like it because it was very dirty.

I wish your niece a speedy recovery. I think we're going to see more colleges/universities go virtual again. Our local university in TX is already making plans to do so. My ds, who is at school in AL, is really hoping it doesn't happen!

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

I think we're going to see more colleges/universities go virtual again. Our local university in TX is already making plans to do so. My ds, who is at school in AL, is really hoping it doesn't happen!

Do any of the the universities there have vaccine mandates? Mask mandates?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KSera said:

Do any of the the universities there have vaccine mandates? Mask mandates?

I have 2 at Auburn University. AU has a mask mandate. Even outdoors. Everyone must mask. No vaccine mandate. They also do sentinel testing regularly. I'm sure U of Alabama is the same. 

Sorority recruitment ended today at AU. Ice Water Tea days were virtual, but the rest of the days were in person. I think masks would have been required since all chapters are located on campus. Still, that's a lot of people in close contact for a lot of days. I am curious to see if there are any outbreaks. I hope not. I want the students to have a somewhat normal college experience this year.

Edited by popmom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KSera said:

Do any of the the universities there have vaccine mandates? Mask mandates?

No. Our Texas governor had said no entity that receives state money may require masks. However, several cities and some ISD's have challenged that and it's currently in court. And no vaccine mandates. 

Edited by wilrunner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of my best friends and her son (both vaxxed) are assumed positive though they tested negative. They both took a different test today and are awaiting results, but due to symptoms her doc says they've got it. Her unvaxxed husband and other son tested positive. All are symptomatic but none serious (though they are experiencing different symptoms). Her and her husband were exposed by a couple they went to dinner with, who later tested positive. I don't know the couple's vaccine status. 

Edited by whitestavern
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am interested in seeing what happens at colleges, comparing schools without mask mandates or vaccine mandates, schools with mask mandates, but no vaccine mandates, and schools with both this fall.  It seems like colleges are planning for a normal semester as far as activities and in person classes almost across the board. 

 

My friend who teaches biology at a private college that is "encouraging" masks and vaccination, but mandating either (and, based on surveys, would lose about half their student body if they did) is not optimistic that they'll make it past Fall break. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, whitestavern said:

One of my best friends and her son (both vaxxed) are assumed positive though they tested negative. They both took a different test today and are awaiting results, but due to symptoms her doc says they've got it. Her unvaxxed husband and other son tested positive. All are symptomatic but none serious (though they are experiencing different symptoms). Her and her husband were exposed by a couple they went to dinner with, who later tested positive. I don't know the couple's vaccine status. 

Do you know which vaccine your friend and her son had?  Or the general timeframe in which they were vaccinated?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

I am interested in seeing what happens at colleges, comparing schools without mask mandates or vaccine mandates, schools with mask mandates, but no vaccine mandates, and schools with both this fall.

I live on a state border, so I saw differences upfront from public and private schools last year. Pretty interesting to see, but I still don't have an answer.  The kids in the private, unmasked schools that did little else to contain possible spread had very low cases. There was some transmission initially with high school youth at 1church, and some adults in that school did get covid.  I was concerned for some adults who I would consider fragile health-wise, but they did not get it.   I hope with the Delta variant, they take it more seriously this year, idk. I do not want to see sick kids or worse...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/8/2021 at 8:29 AM, itsheresomewhere said:

That is what I am noticing. Most I know who have had breakthroughs had Pfizer.  

A friend's daughter, 20, waitress, (I heard she had the Pfizer), tested positive. Tired, lost sense of smell, but otherwise mild.  We just got out of quarantine because we had been around her before she showed symptoms. We are fine. Glad we had gotten Moderna from what I am hearing...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...