Menu

vacationing this fall COVID? WWYD?

sbgrace

All of my household has been vaccinated with Pfizer.

We had planned a trip involving a plane, rental car, condo stay to see the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Hoover Dam, etc. and COVID canceled it.

My kids are getting older and increasing amounts of their time is sucked up. I'm feeling like this fall is probably our best chance to make this trip happen.

Just as we're ready to make reservations, the delta strain is giving me pause...but, if I postpone again maybe the next strain (if there is one/seems inevitable) will be worse, maybe my kids will just be too busy.

WWYD? 

Edited by sbgrace

I’d probably make the reservations as long as you are able to cancel and get a refund or a new date and then see how things progress. I haven’t seen my mom in over two years and we bought tickets for a fall trip last month when things were looking pretty good. Everything is refundable and/or changeable, so we are just waiting and watching. I’d love for both of us to be able to get boosters before we go, especially my husband who was vaccinated very early at work, but I’m not sure they will be available yet.

• Like 2

Frankly, we are going to live our lives as normal.  Our urgent care was offering antibody tests and I got all three of my kids tested—all three have antibodies.  They’ll be vaccinated when they can.  I have had Covid and the Moderna vaccine in December/January, and though I don’t have antibodies, I’ve done everything I can do.  Covid is here to stay, it’s endemic, and hopefully like the 1918 flu(strains of which are still around) becomes less severe over time. Sadly, some people will still die from it, but the hope is that as our bodies know it, it will be less severe when we do catch it.  
But we have no idea how long that ia going to take. 

• Like 6

I honestly don't know what I'd do. 

We have had our vacation set for two years now.  Last year didn't happen so we rolled it over to this year.  Our usual vacation there involves riding a bus around, being in crowded areas, using community facilities.

We leave Sunday.  We're cutting out as much risk as possible: no using the bus, no going into the gift shop, using the more well ventilated restroom and showers.  We'll avoid peak times downtown and reverse our schedule.  Everyone will be masked except when out on the trails.  We'll have a week back at home without commitment so we can quarantine just in case.

And that's for a state that has a more than 60% vaccination rate.  I wouldn't feel entirely comfortable going to a state that struggles to get people to understand science or truth - but that's also because we have a member of the house who is unvaccinated.  If we were all vaccinated, I wouldn't have quite as much of an issue, I don't think.  At that point, we could get sick, but a much less chance of being sick.  We'd still be very careful when we came home so we didn't accidentally pass something on.

One can safely vacation with minimal contact with other people. A condo stay is safe, hiking outdoors is safe, takeout is safe. We have just done a vacation in the mountains with adult DS and gf, and we hiked in the Grand Canyon during the spring. 

I wouldn't plan on crowded amusement parks, but I don't see why GC or Sedona should be a problem. I would do everything possible to avoid air travel.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

My boys are heading into 11th grade and I feel the same way about not much time left to have us all going on vacation together (scheduling wise).  And...we've given up the past several years of vacation because of my in-laws and my dad's health.  We are finally taking a 4 night vacation in August to a lake about 4 hours away.  Not our usual vacation (I was actually looking into planning a cruise for us for May 2020 - glad I didn't make those reservations), but will get us away from here for a bit.  I've rented a townhouse (owned by someone I know), that will be empty the 24 hours before we arrive, and we'll air it out when we get there and unpack.  We are keeping it lowkey with fishing, boating, nice walks, mini-golf, board games, etc.  I will take my camera and cross-stitch -- LOL.  Hubby will bring a cigar or 2.  No eating inside a restaurant, but we will get some food to go.  Just very different for us.  That is all I am willing to risk. 

I would not go if it involved flying or being around a lot of people.  I don't even want to stay in a hotel with the ventilation systems.  We all have had the Pfizer shots.

Good luck with your decision.  I know it is stressful!

• Like 3

Just mask well for the plane. We are taking our RV to Colorado for several weeks this fall. If you could somehow drive, I would feel completely safe for your plan. The only thing that gives me a little pause is the plane.

If everyone is vaccinated I would do it and mask up etc for transit and aim to make it an outdoor holiday.  Assuming no one is higher risk in your family.  I guess the only thing that would worry me was if there’s a risk that hospitals at the destination would be too busy for us to get medical care if needed.  Vaccination seems to be very effective against severe disease even with delta right now.

• Like 2

If all are vaccinated my big concern would be how badly things are in the places you are going. I wouldn't want to travel to an area where they are in crisis, hospitals are overwhelmed etc. Not even because of the risk of catching covid, but because if someone has an accident or other illness and needs medical care. Honestly, as someone living in an area starting to reach that point again, I don't want extra people here, using up medical resources. 

So keep an eye on the places you are going. But if you are vaccinated and things are under control where you are going and you have good access to medical care where you are going and none of you have reason to be at higher risk if you do catch it....then I think you can go. 

should you go? Hard to say at this point. 

• Like 6

I'll do a vacation where everyone is vaccinated, I don't plan to eat out at all or see indoor attractions very much, and am not relying heavily on public transit. The flight is... a little iffy. But I'd consider it.

I would not do a vacation where eating out is hard to avoid, where I have to take public transit constantly, and where the things to do are mostly indoor.

Basically, I would consider a National Parks vacation as long as I had a car (drove or rental).

• Like 1

We're taking L to college in a few weeks and are spending about 2 weeks there, including move in and orientation, so that if something comes up the first few days of classes, we're close by and can do a target run or whatever. We've rented a house, plan to do grocery and food delivery, and mostly outside stuff, and will mask up in indoor (required in the community the college is in, although not the surrounding area) and more "people-y" outdoor settings. I plan to mask for the entire move in time, since the college kids are required to be vaccinated, but I don't think anyone is checking on the parents, and presumably some of the college kids will have siblings too young to be vaccinated. 

We're doing a few days with L's BFF and her family in a rented house near a state park this weekend. Since there isn't grocery delivery there, I'm doing a pick up order before we leave and packing an ice chest, so we can avoid having to go to restaurants. We're planning to do mostly outside stuff, or hang out at the house and just have some social time before the kids move onto their respective campuses. 

I’d go right now.

I think things will be a lot worse in the Fall.  Where I live, they are again recommending masks for any indoor gathering.  Even though I am vaccinated, I don’t know how well the vaccination will work on the current or future variants, and colder weather is expected to help it thrive and mutate.

I have three board meetings and a family wedding, all involving flights, in Sept.-Nov.  I am probably not going to go to any of them, but am still doing watchful waiting.

OTOH, I have a week in Tahoe reserved for Dec. and am currently planning to go.  This is because it is a drive rather than a flight, and a condo place rather than a hotel, so I think that exposure will be minimal.  I don’t go to crowded places there—will probably mostly hike or do scenic drives.  We can cook in the room if restaurants seem dangerous.

Check for closures and modified hours for amenities at the Grand Canyon.  The Grand Canyon has closed off and on during Covid - or at least certain entrances.  Wearing a mask is required in certain areas (like transportation, and indoor places).  The surrounding Navajo nation has been greatly impacted by Covid. 

Check other destinations as well. 

We went on a trip last fall because it was the last fall we would all be home together.  We rented a house, took our own food, and did a lot of outdoor activities.  We had a great time and I was so glad we went.  We chose somewhere in driving distance, and drove straight through without stops although it was almost a 5 hour drive.

This fall those of us still at home will be going on a trip a bit closer to home.  We are going to be staying in a rented house and bringing our own food.  Weather permitting, we will be doing some hiking and photography.  It is late fall at the coast, so it could be pretty wet.  If we end up staying inside a lot, it will at least be a nice view, and we will have games, books, etc.  The only downside is we signed youngest up for an online class that meets once a week and there is no internet connection where we are staying.  We had planned to just go into town to somewhere with internet, but if cases are bad we may have to rethink that.

I, personally, would not be comfortable flying even though we are vaccinated.  DH is very high risk if he gets covid, and he got the J&J vaccination because that was what was available to him with his schedule.

And...now that my DS22 has tested positive after a trip (fully vaccinated) I'd say only go if you have a way to handle someone catching it while there. Like, if one of you gets even midlly ill and is positive, you can't (ok..shouldn't!) get on a plane to fly back home. Would you be able to stay in place?

We just got back from Maine. We were mostly outside for hiking, etc.. but did eat indoors at restaurants a few times for dinner during horrible thunderstorms. I made our breakfast in the hotel room and packed lunches. But still...

I started with a sore throat on Tuesday morning...it has gotten worse. I tried to make a Covid testing appointment for today but they were all booked near me and I live in a big metro area. I will get the at home test. I am fully vaccinated. 

I canceled our trip to the Grand Canyon yesterday. We have a long weekend trip to DC planned at the end of October; I am not sure if that is going to happen either. 

Ugg!