Menu

Interview questions.....

Tap

I am applying for a promotion at work. I have the support of my immediate supervisor and his supervisor, but there are others who will make this decision as well. I am not the most qualified, but have the most applicable diverse qualifications. When I was talking to my boss's boss, she said I need to ace the interview because it will likely come down to interview points. 

Do you have any recommendations for websites or videos? I need to put serious effort into this area.  Please help!

Describe a situation where you dealt with a crisis. How did you communicate with the team and what was the outcome. 

This one comes up in 2 of my sons work applications all the time. They have developed some great story responses. Really appeals to their inner hero. Mind you it is always for their remote area fire-fighter jobs. 

• Like 2

Tell us how you have coped in the past with:

- differing demands on your time based on short and long term projects

-difficult personalities among your colleagues/clients

- the less-urgent demands of high-status people vs. the more-urgent demands of lesser-status people

- times when the team as a whole is under a lot of pressure

- times when you didn't know what to do

We really want to see concrete examples of things that have happened, rather than 'I'm a team player' or 'I cope well in a crisis'.

• Like 2

Behavioral interview questions are very popular. “Tell me about a time when you...” types of things. So think about the qualities they’re looking for in an ideal candidate and prepare some stories that illustrate how you fit those qualities. 

Ask a Manager has some great Interview content. 

(She has great content on a bunch of employment-related issues and is just a fun read if anyone is looking for a good Twitter follow.)

• Like 1

What is something you'd like to tell us about that doesn't show on your resume? 

As previous posters have said, "Tell me about a time when..." questions are very common.

The other way around: my last interview the lady was very tickled with my question of, "What could I do to show you my worth in the first 6 months of my job? IOW, what focus should I have as I begin the job?"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EKS said:

I was just asked in an interview to describe my personality in one word.

I was asked, "What would your co-workers say about you?   Give two adjectives".  Now, "give 2 adjectives your supervisors would say about you?"

UGH.

Then I was asked, "Let's say you meet someone on an elevator and they ask you what the most important thing about your job is, what would you say?"

They were just weird questions.   I had prepped for NOT those questions.   🙄

• Like 2

What is your greatest regret in your career?  (Or tell us about a failure you had)

(Warning:  Do not answer this all that accurately.  Do not sit there and wrack your brain to think of something awful or embarrassing.  Instead, think of something where you did a good job and later realized you could have done even better, and that now that you’re more experienced you would do so.)

• Like 1