Menu

Rapid COVID tests at home

Not_a_Number

We have been using Binax from CVS. I have no idea about accuracy, but they are easy to use.  Both kids are sick at the moment, both tested negative, and were later prescribed antibiotics, to which they responded.  So that seems like a plus, I don’t think we had a false negative this time.  

I would not depend on them for a definitive diagnosis, but more like a signal to get follow up care from a doc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spryte said:

We have been using Binax from CVS. I have no idea about accuracy, but they are easy to use.  Both kids are sick at the moment, both tested negative, and were later prescribed antibiotics, to which they responded.  So that seems like a plus, I don’t think we had a false negative this time.  

I would not depend on them for a definitive diagnosis, but more like a signal to get follow up care from a doc.

I figure the positives would be decently reliable, anyway. Negatives, maybe not so much, but it's better than nothing if there's no reason to assume COVID. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Looks like she uses the Binax kind, too: 

https://www.cvs.com/shop/abbott-binaxnow-covid-19-antigen-self-test-2-tests-for-serial-testing-prodid-550147

I think I'll order some 🙂 

I'll probably get a kit, but we do have free rapid testing here, drive up, from the county. It's about 25 minutes from me, but in the Orlando area that's typical for anything. 

I'm glad these are available - we may do these before family get togethers, as my mom has COPD and is high risk. And my sister has a child with medical anxiety, so this would be good to have for her. 

I do worry that with a lot of those out there our case numbers are even more under represented, if a lot of people are getting positives and not reporting them. 

• Like 2

ACK!!! Clicking on the link to the at home Covid test jinxed me! 30 minutes later my son texted from his room that he woke up with no sense of smell! Just ran to two pharmacies to find a kit - they are selling out as fast as they get them in, and our local drive up testing reported yesterday they are so busy they are having to close early each day as they are running out of tests. 

Waiting on results now. (this is oldest - he was on a plane last few days and got stuck overnight sleeping in the airport on connecting flight in NC)

• Sad 9

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

I do worry that with a lot of those out there our case numbers are even more under represented, if a lot of people are getting positives and not reporting them. 

Yeah, I saw someone talking about that. On the other hand, you can see the testing numbers yourself, so it should be comparable to any other time people tested that amount? 

And he's positive. CRAP. 

Options are: crack his bedroom window, use fan pointed at window and block bottom of his bedroom door, use plastic sheeting to try to block his room from air intake to AC. (not having AC is not an option...heat stroke would be a risk). 

Or a friend's mom died recently and her house is empty, furnished. He can go stay there. 

It is safer for the rest of us if he does, but at that same time I don't love him staying by himself if he's sick. (congestion, som fatigue, no sense of smell)

Edit - nevre mind, there is no internet there, and I'm not condemning him to 10 days isolation with no internet. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Sad 6

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

And he's positive. CRAP. 

Options are: crack his bedroom window, use fan pointed at window and block bottom of his bedroom door, use plastic sheeting to try to block his room from air intake to AC. (not having AC is not an option...heat stroke would be a risk). 

Or a friend's mom died recently and her house is empty, furnished. He can go stay there. 

It is safer for the rest of us if he does, but at that same time I don't love him staying by himself if he's sick. (congestion, som fatigue, no sense of smell)

I am so sorry.

12 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

And he's positive. CRAP. 

Edit - nevre mind, there is no internet there, and I'm not condemning him to 10 days isolation with no internet. 

Ugh 😞. I'm sorry this thread jinxed you!!! 😞 

15 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

And he's positive. CRAP. 

Oh crud, Katie, I’m so sorry! You guys have been so careful. This just sucks 😢. Could you build a Corsi air cube for filtration? Or several, to place around your house? For each one, you need a box fan and several 20 x 20“ Merv 13 filters.  Plus duct tape. 

1 hour ago, KSera said:

Oh crud, Katie, I’m so sorry! You guys have been so careful. This just sucks 😢. Could you build a Corsi air cube for filtration? Or several, to place around your house? For each one, you need a box fan and several 20 x 20“ Merv 13 filters.  Plus duct tape. 

He has an air filter with UV light running in his room always anyway. Kids have on in their room as well. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2

So, DH built a containment unit. I'm impressed. Photos to come - but now DS22's room and bathroom are sealed off with layers of plastic sheeting from rest of house and air intake to AC unit. It doubles over so I can stick food/drinks through it. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

So, DH built a containment unit. I'm impressed. Photos to come - but now DS22's room and bathroom are sealed off with layers of plastic sheeting from rest of house and air intake to AC unit. It doubles over so I can stick food/drinks through it. 

Impressive! I'm looking forward to the pictures. I hope this works!! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Anyone have recommendations for these? A local friend mentioned that she keeps a whole bunch at home and tests whenever kids have the sniffles or whatever. I was curious if anyone was doing the same and had a favorite brand! 

I've used the Binax ones.  They say they are for serial use and you should do another in 3 days.  I haven't done that. I have found it good for peace of mind.  We have a lot of seasonal allergies and sinus issues here.  One ds in particular often has a runny nose or occasional cough.  So, I've tested him a few times.  It is free to get tested at CVS, but I like the ease of running a home test.  I'm wondering about the Ellume one that is only one test.  I might get a few of those.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, freesia said:

I've used the Binax ones.  They say they are for serial use and you should do another in 3 days.  I haven't done that. I have found it good for peace of mind.  We have a lot of seasonal allergies and sinus issues here.  One ds in particular often has a runny nose or occasional cough.  So, I've tested him a few times.  It is free to get tested at CVS, but I like the ease of running a home test.  I'm wondering about the Ellume one that is only one test.  I might get a few of those.

They have worse reviews on the CVS site, though.