Menu

Mascara recs?

alisoncooks

I've only ever worn mascara for special events (a wedding, a photo shoot, etc). Like...once every few years?  I have dark hair/eyelashes, and since it sometimes bothers my contacts, I just don't bother.

Recently, however, it seems my eyelashes have disappeared. I guess there still there, but they seem shorter and thinner. Side effect of getting older?

So...maybe I'll try mascara again.  What do you like? There's soooo many kinds! I'd like fullness and some length/curl, and I abhor clumpy, spiky lashes. Natural lashes but better? Recommendations?

22 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I only use tubing mascara now because regular mascara always gives me raccoon eyes. I like the Thrive mascara but it's expensive and you must order it online. 

I've never even heard of tubing mascaras! I just went and read an article and huh! That's totally new for me. Sounds promising!

• Like 1

I don’t have mascara recommendations because the cheap ones feel the same to me as the expensive ones like Dior show or whatever, BUT for you eyelashes I just learned today of this product that helps them grow. And anecdotally from the 3 people I know using it, it really works: revitalash.

I have not used myself but am ordering soon. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

It was new to me about a year ago. I'd stopped wearing mascara because it always smudged. I tried all of the tricks but none of them worked. I also love how easy it is to wash the tubing mascara out of your eyelashes. A bit of water is all you need. 

Although I don't think tubing mascaras hold the curl as well as other mascaras. Truth be hold, I've never had much luck with any mascara holding the curl on my eyelashes but other people seem to be able to get it work for them. 

What is tubing mascara? Is it why the Thrive is soooo awesome to wash off? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Yes, Thrive mascara is tubing mascara. Tubing mascara is made of a substance that forms little tubes around your eyelashes. That's why they smudge or flake. The little tubes wash off with water. The tubes are tiny but you can sometimes see them when you are washing them off of your eyelashes. 

I learned something new today. So, is there tubing mascara that doesn’t make your eyelashes look unnaturally long? I rarely wear it, but will for occasions, but don’t like smudging. I don’t actually want my eyelashes to look “80% longer” though. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Yes, Thrive mascara is tubing mascara. Tubing mascara is made of a substance that forms little tubes around your eyelashes. That's why they don't smudge or flake. The little tubes wash off with water. The tubes are tiny but you can sometimes see them when you are washing them off of your eyelashes. 

Cool— thanks! It sure is different than any other type I've tried.

• Like 2

L'Oreal Double Extend Tubing Mascara is available at Target if you don't want to have to order online. It washes off easily and it's not very expensive. I also really like Maybelline's Sky High Mascara. I buy waterproof and it comes off very well using an oil based cleanser. I don't have to tug on my lashes at all. Plus it comes in brown which I greatly appreciate!

• Like 1

I recently tried this based on a rec from Angie at Hot and Flashy. I really like it! No clumping, doesn’t make my eyes sting at the end of the day (a lot of mascaras do), and it makes my lashes look longer and fuller. The wand is good too.