Menu

It’s burning.

Carrie12345

Dh got a fire call this morning. For the building his office is in.   
6 departments responding.  (That is a lot for around here, but keep in mind it’s volunteer on a summer weekend, so it’s probably 3-4 people per station at best.)

Just saw a FB post with pic, and it’s just an inferno. I can see straight through the office next to his. Everything will be gone.

I’m confident everyone will be safe and that no one was inside given the timing, but I also know dh has personal items in there, and he’s probably devastated about them. Well, maybe not right while he’s in working fire mode, but definitely after.

• Like 1
  • Sad 44

I'm sorry. DH is also a volunteer FF. There was a big fire in one of the neighboring departments last week, with 6 or 7 departments responding. The structure (a pole shed type building) was a total loss, but thankfully no injuries. 

Having to deal with that when it's your stuff would be really hard. Hugs.

13 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

I'm so sorry. That would be such a shock. I guess it's too early to have any idea what caused it?

Seems likely to be gas related.

Dh did call to let me know they put him off site (filling trucks; we don’t have hydrants) due to his personal investment, so that’s a plus. But the second floor is now in the first. His book collection and fire memorabilia gone. Plenty of other stuff, too, I’m sure. 

And, not to be That Guy, but obviously I’m going to be stuck with my bedroom being turned back into an office again. 😛 

• Sad 16

5 minutes ago, barnwife said:

I'm sorry. DH is also a volunteer FF. There was a big fire in one of the neighboring departments last week, with 6 or 7 departments responding. The structure (a pole shed type building) was a total loss, but thankfully no injuries. 

Having to deal with that when it's your stuff would be really hard. Hugs.

Glad they’re all safe!  
The big ones are so scary.

2 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Ugh, I’m so sorry.  You’d be surprised at what survives a fire though; he may be able to sift through and find some important things.

Also if your humidity in PA today is anything like we are in NY, I’d gladly run tanker shuttles over fighting the fire. Tanker shuttles are much cooler lol.

Well, before the bulldozer came in, a friend salvaged 1.5 things. (The .5 being his first helmet front… not that I could tell from the picture!)

The owner of the building is on another responding company, so it was a rough day all around!

• Sad 4

And thanks, all!  I know I will be hating the home office situation even though it’s comparatively petty, but I do feel awful about him losing stuff he likes, especially given that he’s already lost most of his childhood stuff to a hoarding narcissist. It’s not fair. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

And thanks, all!  I know I will be hating the home office situation even though it’s comparatively petty, but I do feel awful about him losing stuff he likes, especially given that he’s already lost most of his childhood stuff to a hoarding narcissist. It’s not fair. 

I wouldn't say it is petty. The office situation is literally going to disrupt your day-to-day life and create stress and tension.

Yes, it really sucks for your DH to lose sentimental items. I'm not trying to minimize his loss because we all get emotional attachments to objects and there is a grief process that he'll need to go through, but I don't want you to minimize your hardship in this situation, either.

You BOTH have tough things to deal with in the coming days and weeks. Neither are petty. They're just different. It's okay for you to also grieve your loss of peace and freedom to be as noisy as you want in your home. Your feelings are yours and you're allowed to have them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1